Respected Contributor

O/T....Alaskan Cruise Recommendations needed.

My husband and I are thinking of going on an Alaskan Cruise next year and I would appreciate your recommendations of a cruiseline. Also, which itinerary is best...inside passage, outside passage, glaciers etc.? I have sailed on Carnival, Norweigan, Holland America and Royal Caribbean many years ago but I don't know what any of them are like now. We are in our 50's and prefer not to cruise with a lot of kids. TIA!
Honored Contributor

Re: O/T....Alaskan Cruise Recommendations needed.

Both Holland America and RCCL cater to an more mature crowd

I have taken Norweign and Carnival and will never take either line again

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

Princess caters to an older crowd. Inside passage is smoother. If you can swing it, sail from San Francisco. It is a 10 or 11 voyage and sailing under the Golden gate is breathtaking. I have been to Alaska 4 times...all on princess.
Respected Contributor

We did a Princess combined cruise/land tour. It was a fantastic trip.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

I've also been on Princess and we had a fantastic time. We actually did 3 days land tours on Princess properties - it was fantastic. Then took the train to the ship - we had a mini suite with balcony - it was a great way to see the glacier's and the ports. We flew in and out of Seattle. Our cruise ended in Vancouver and then they had a bus take us to Seattle airport. Have a wonderful time..... Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Another vote for Princess. I did a 3 week land/cruise tour package. First week in Canada, then the cruise, then 1 week Alaska. Part of that was taking the train. It was a memorable trip.

Respected Contributor

Thank you! I live on the east coast, so we'll have to fly cross-country no matter which city we depart from. Since I've never been to Seattle, that may be a good option for us. I think 7 nights is my maximum on a ship.
Honored Contributor

Pick a cruise line that goes to Glacier Bay, which is a must-see. Only a limited number of ships can enter the bay each day. Many do not go there for that reason. If you pick a time before or after school starts, you'll avoid kids on all of the cruises. I'd also sign up for the side train trip to Denali National Park, another must-see.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

On 9/12/2014 kachina624 said: Pick a cruise line that goes to Glacier Bay, which is a must-see. Only a limited number of ships can enter the bay each day. Many do not go there for that reason. If you pick a time before or after school starts, you'll avoid kids on all of the cruises. I'd also sign up for the side train trip to Denali National Park, another must-see.

I agree. We sprung for an outside suite so we could go to our balcony when we were in Glacier Bay as topside was very crowded. And seeing Denali is a must.

Esteemed Contributor

Holland America is a nice line. They cater to a older demographic. If you don't want a lot of kids then don't go in the summer from the end of May-August