Honored Contributor

Nylon in Pants Fabric

[ Edited ]

Denim & Co. just introduced a new fabric mix that is Rayon, Nylon and a bit of Spandex.  Now I'm hearing Susan Graver advertise a pair of pants with the same fabric content.

I got the D&C pants and initially like the slick, lightweight but substantial feel of this fabric.  It's a little dressier than a cotton twill or denim.   However, I vividly remember hot summer days wearing hose and I shudder.  It's not hot enough here yet to do an assessment so the jury is still out.  Maybe we should sent a pair over to Phoenix where it's in the 90s?  I hope the Nylon doesn't make them too hot because the fabric feels really good and they don't seem to wrinkle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

No thanks. I'm in the Phoenix area and wouldn't wear them. Cotton for me. I don't care if I'm a wrinkled mess. At least I'm a bit cooler. 

Valued Contributor

I used to buy a similar mix at Dillards when I was working. I thought they were hot for the Texas summers where I live. This blend tended to not wrinkle and looked professional. Maybe what goes around comes around? I purchased a pair of pants from HSN with this blend, I kept them as they look nice. But then I remembered the hotness factor. I have not actually worn them yet so I'll see how it goes this week trying them out. Before it gets hot hot here. 

Detachment isn't the absence of love but the ability to take care of yourself in the midst of someone else's choices.
Honored Contributor

Perhaps the onset of summer was not the best time to introduce this new fabric?  May be more suitable for fall/winter.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
The humidity factor here, along with temps in the low 100s makes me not want to buy something with this fabric content. You just gotta ask yourself...what were they thinking with this combination???
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Denim & Co. just introduced a new fabric mix that is Rayon, Nylon and a bit of Spandex.  Now I'm hearing Susan Graver advertise a pair of pants with the same fabric content.

I got the D&C pants and initially like the slick, lightweight but substantial feel of this fabric.  It's a little dressier than a cotton twill or denim.   However, I vividly remember hot summer days wearing hose and I shudder.  It's not hot enough here yet to do an assessment so the jury is still out.  Maybe we should sent a pair over to Phoenix where it's in the 90s?  I hope the Nylon doesn't make them too hot because the fabric feels really good and they don't seem to wrinkle.

@Kachina624   I know that fabrics change but my mother always thought nylon was a cheap fabric but did not wrinkle.  She thought rayon was a good fabric but not suitable for summer as it was too hot.  She always made us dry our hands, make sure we had dried our bodies well and did not wear lotions when we donned rayons.  They wrinkle easily, stain easily and just touching them with your damp hands (or sweaty body) could make them wrinkle.  We had a laundry/dry cleaners who did our clothes most of the time and Mother did not like paying frequently to have clothes done so we had to bathe, dry off very well and not have on any lotions when we put on certain clothings.  That included silk, rayon, wool.  Moths like all 3 and with rayon it wrinkles and with the others, although they are the best, moths like them as well as we do.

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
The humidity factor here, along with temps in the low 100s makes me not want to buy something with this fabric content. You just gotta ask yourself...what were they thinking with this combination???

@Snicks1 

It's cheaper to make so you can make more money selling it vs cotton?

We want cotton. It's hot in the summer. I for one am not interested in wearing plasticware?

I will wear old clothes before I buy this $%^&*#.

Trusted Contributor

I certainly wouldn't wear any fabric containing nylon in a New York city summer, and that includes underwear.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Snicks1 wrote:

@Snicks1 

It's cheaper to make so you can make more money selling it vs cotton?

We want cotton. It's hot in the summer. I for one am not interested in wearing plasticware?

I will wear old clothes before I buy this $%^&*#.

@Nightowlz OH yeah!  I second what you said!  I am an all-cotton girl in the summer.  I don't even like plasticware in the winter either!  

Trusted Contributor
I have found that pants with a rayon nylon blend, if they are a woven, don't wash well