Esteemed Contributor

Re: Now Does Any of This (TSV) Sound Comortable???

@Love to Run wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Wouldn't a qualitative analysis of these findings be better to determine just how true this one study is.  Do other journals have similar findings?  I can't imagine this is the case for every woman.  Anyway, we do what we do as individuals and not the group.  No way I'm going w/o a bra.  Not gonna happen....

@gertrudecloset If you're asking about the study I cited, it's a peer-reviewed study published in a medical journal--the standard for scientific research. I wasn't able to locate any other published research, but I'm not particularly surprised given the subject matter.

Personal choices aside, I'm not at all surprised. The abstract gives a great synopsis of the findings.

OK @Love to Run .  I don't see anything in the link that you provided that tells us which journal it was published in.  There is no journal abstract and other identifying information that would lead me to believe it is a peer review journal.  I think it could have been a longitudinal study taken by the person who wrote this up for Medical News Today.  I don't think this a Journal Article.  If it was it would say so.

Anyway, there are other resources to at least get an abstract of the findings such as Worldcat.  I don't have access to peer reviewed journals anymore.  I can tell you that this one is not published in a journal.  It would state so if it were.

Check out Worldcat.org; Google Scholar or JStor.....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@Trix wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Wouldn't a qualitative analysis of these findings be better to determine just how true this one study is.  Do other journals have similar findings?  I can't imagine this is the case for every woman.  Anyway, we do what we do as individuals and not the group.  No way I'm going w/o a bra.  Not gonna happen....

@gertrudecloset  ITA.  Maybe it isn't scientific, but wearing a bra at all times and sleeping in a comfortable wireless bralette type seems to have helped keep my D cup up.  Sagging science aside, I just think clothes look better on a woman wearing a bra.  I find it most unattractive to see a woman jiggling under her top whether the breasts are large or small. 

@Trix Science and personal aesthetic are two completely different things. I wear a bra, or tape, in public like most women my age, but I have never slept in a bra and my DDs are very perky after 3 children and at age 54. 

You are also athletic @Love to Run .  That article is not going to be the case for every woman.  This thread wasn't necessarily about sleeping in a bra, but whether or not supportive garments are comfortable for us as we age.

No way can such a blanket statement be made about breasts as all women have genetics that involve our breast shape, size and more.  Small breasts can sag, large breasts can sag, it's not a one sized fits all situation (that was even mentioned in the link you provided).  Not all DD's are created equal Woman Very Happy  I am a happy DD and that has only happened over the last five years.  Was not a DD prior.  Remember, there are no exact sciences.

See the source image

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset If you're asking about the study I cited, it's a peer-reviewed study published in a medical journal--the standard for scientific research. I wasn't able to locate any other published research, but I'm not particularly surprised given the subject matter.

Personal choices aside, I'm not at all surprised. The abstract gives a great synopsis of the findings.

OK @Love to Run .  I don't see anything in the link that you provided that tells us which journal it was published in.  There is no journal abstract and other identifying information that would lead me to believe it is a peer review journal.  I think it could have been a longitudinal study taken by the person who wrote this up for Medical News Today.  I don't think this a Journal Article.  If it was it would say so.

Anyway, there are other resources to at least get an abstract of the findings such as Worldcat.  I don't have access to peer reviewed journals anymore.  I can tell you that this one is not published in a journal.  It would state so if it were.

@gertrudecloset  My bad, the original article is in French. Rouillon's initial research was published in 2003. I'm assuming he was quoted on his continuing research around 2017-2018, that would be an about right timeline for a 15-year follow up.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/evolution-du-sein-apres-larret-du-port-du-soutien-gorge-etude-prelimi...

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@Trix wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset  ITA.  Maybe it isn't scientific, but wearing a bra at all times and sleeping in a comfortable wireless bralette type seems to have helped keep my D cup up.  Sagging science aside, I just think clothes look better on a woman wearing a bra.  I find it most unattractive to see a woman jiggling under her top whether the breasts are large or small. 

@Trix Science and personal aesthetic are two completely different things. I wear a bra, or tape, in public like most women my age, but I have never slept in a bra and my DDs are very perky after 3 children and at age 54. 

@gertrudecloset  I think we are all intelligent enough to understand that scientific studies and our personal opinions (and what our personal experiences have been) are "completely" different things.  My post was prefaced as it was because everything stated was my personal opinion and perception.

I'm 70 and have had no children, but given what I believe to be the results of wearing a bra I really don't give a hoot at this point about what any scientific study might come up with.  I actually think most women side with their personal opinion when it comes to bra or no bra. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I still wear pantyhose when I dress up.  I don't find it uncomfortable.  Also, Spanx is much the same and it is quite popular.  

@Icegoddess 

I occasionally do but I am not supposed to wear panty hose or anything tight secondary to recurrent fungus that I acquired from taking massive doses of steroids.  I love wearing panty hose because I feel totally dressed.  I am learning to use the Jergens self-tanner or wear slacks that are not tight.  So the paper sack tops have worked well for me.  Autoimmune disease is  not for the weak.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

@Trix wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset  I think we are all intelligent enough to understand that scientific studies and our personal opinions (and what our personal experiences have been) are "completely" different things.  My post was prefaced as it was because everything stated was my personal opinion and perception.

I'm 70 and have had no children, but given what I believe to be the results of wearing a bra I really don't give a hoot at this point about what any scientific study might come up with.  I actually think most women side with their personal opinion when it comes to bra or no bra. 

You're responding to the wrong person @Trix 

Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset  My bad, the original article is in French. Rouillon's initial research was published in 2003. I'm assuming he was quoted on his continuing research around 2017-2018, that would be an about right timeline for a 15-year follow up.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/evolution-du-sein-apres-larret-du-port-du-soutien-gorge-etude-prelimi...

No, it's ok.  We have to differentiate that's all @Love to Run.  Thanks for sharing the actual source too.  

21 Hair Pics So Real They'll Have Black Women Crying Laughing

Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

You're responding to the wrong person @Trix 

@gertrudecloset  Apologies to you.  I'm so sorry that I placed the ampersand by the wrong name. 

I think I was supposed to @ Love to Run, but I'm ready to move on from the bra thread.Relieved 

Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Years ago (1960s) - during the "burn your bra" era, there were articles about what happens to body parts that are allowed to sag.  

Gravity isn't kind.

I decided that rather than try to fix sagging later - I'd prevent it from happening. 

This was the days before Spanx (torture!).  Pantyhose weren't that common -and we wore panty girdles with garters to hold up ourstockings.

I've worn lightweight support pieces my entire adult life.  Flexees body suits, long leg panty girdles. They aren't uncomfortable and I'm in pretty good shape.

Welp wearing a bra only promotes saggingSmiley LOL

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/259073#1

@Love to Run 

and the thing that kept my waist in and many ladies kept their virginity as a result of the waist-pincher/corset with garters and a bra, solilquy made famous by Dorothy Parker at the Algonquin Round Table who said "All  the room I need is to lay a hat and a few men."

Trusted Contributor

I received my first pair today, and I am in ❤️ they fit beautifully and feel so comfy. I wish I would have grabbed them when they had taupe. I have one more pair coming. This was my first purchase from this vendor and I am very happy with it.