Honored Contributor

Re: Not impressed with Nordstrom Rack

On 7/20/2014 Fifi1 said: I never was impressed with the Rack. They seem to stock off label, never seen in store items. They are usually messy as well, and I don't enjoy the "hunt" at all.

Most of their items are not seen in the stores, but a few are. I don't enjoy the "hunt" at all either. The stores are messy, crowded and the merchandise is subpar--for the most part. I have seen a few pairs of jeans that looked nice, but I never purchased.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

Wow--you guys must be going to alternate universe Nordstrom Racks from me--LOL! I love the Rack--when my husband and I go to Scottsdale, one of our first visits is Nordstrom Rack--it is SO much fun, and both of us have gotten some awesome deals. Yes, you have to enjoy the hunt and give yourself enough time, and if you do--WOWZA--you can make a haul! My husband is so funny--in general, he's not a shopper--but give him a consignment or discount store like the Rack or Off Fifth, and he's in heaven! He ALWAYS finds more than I do--LOL!

Trusted Contributor

It's so interesting and funny to read different shoppers' take on various shopping experiences, and so good that opportunities exist for all of us. Personally, I so enjoy the hunt that I'm pretty much bored to death with traditional department stores. So predictable, so organized, so blah. I like to scrounge and scan and come up with glorious, stellar, unexpected finds on the cheap! Makes my day every single time, and every score has a story. The bargain-hunters among us gird our loins for the conquest and shop like big game hunters on the hunt. So fun.

Respected Contributor

It is hit or miss for me too and depends what I'm looking for. The past year, I havent found anything really worthy. Smiley Sad.
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 winamac1 said:
On 7/20/2014 Fifi1 said: I never was impressed with the Rack. They seem to stock off label, never seen in store items. They are usually messy as well, and I don't enjoy the "hunt" at all.

Most of their items are not seen in the stores, but a few are. I don't enjoy the "hunt" at all either. The stores are messy, crowded and the merchandise is subpar--for the most part. I have seen a few pairs of jeans that looked nice, but I never purchased.

I'm with you ladies. I have long tired of rummaging through racks of clothing/shoes/handbags, etc., especially if they are not neat and orderly.

Not to say I don't enjoy a nice sale, but I am ok with my philosophy these days: pay more, purchase less!

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 magicmoodz said:

I'm with you ladies. I have long tired of rummaging through racks of clothing/shoes/handbags, etc., especially if they are not neat and orderly.

Not to say I don't enjoy a nice sale, but I am ok with my philosophy these days: pay more, purchase less!

The Rack makes me nervous, LOL, Magic-kind of like TJMaxx!Wink

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 chrystaltree said:

Nordstrom Rack isn't Nordstom's, the full department store. It's their own mark down, discount store. It's leftovers. The one near me is hit or miss, once or twice I have found something great. Usually, it's a bust. My husband likes it, he always finds things when he shops there. I actually do better at the Marshalls across the street, it's one of the upscale Marshalls.

I don't even think it is "leftovers".

The women's clothes at Nordstrom Rack have never even set foot at a Nordstrom.

Seriously, I don't know where in the heck those clothes come from that they sell at the Rack.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 magicmoodz said:

The Rack makes me nervous, LOL, Magic-kind of like TJMaxx!Wink

It's comforting to know I am not alone, win. We must have the same disorder! Or in other words, a disorder disorder! Smile

Frequent Contributor

A lot of depends on the location and demographics. Like any other discounted franchises like TJMaxx, Marshall's etc. what is stocked, the number of shipments weekly, and who actually is buying at a location has already been predetermined. When I go to So. Calif. specifically the fabulous South Coast Plaza ( a former OC resident ) I always stop in at the Nordstrom Rack nearby there and it's huge and I walk out with great merchandise Smiley Happy I was told that some of the locations are "prototypes or "flagships" where you'll definitely see much more variety in the way of merchandise. I wouldn't be so quick to judge until I've been to a same location a handful of times. JMO...
Trusted Contributor

I went to the 4th of July sale & bought NOTHING. They did have some English Laundry frag. But that did not have a price tag on it and the clerks were too busy to help little old me. Forget it.