Honored Contributor

Re: Not Your “Essential” Clothing Items

There are a lot of "essential" items that are not in my wardrobe either.  I don't have...leggings, button down white shirts (or any button down shirts), white tees, dresses or skirts.  None if these items work for me.  I either don't look good in them or feel comfortable wearing them.

I do have a few denim jackets though I don't wear them with jeans.  I don't want to look like I'm wearing a denim suit.  I will wear a denim jacket with black, olive or another color pants.

Esteemed Contributor

You would have to tie me up to get me to put on a crisp white shirt.  Whenever I have tried one on, I felt like a pharmacist at Walgreen.  NOT for me! 

Leggings.........never. 

I have jean jackets that I throw on to run to the grocery store because it is always so cold in there.  For a night out? No. 

Give me a a pair of bootleg jeans (not flood length, ankle, or crop) a nice tank and a duster or blazer.  I also like 3/4 or full length sleeve tops.......not tunics.

I have never had a LBD.  I keep a couple pair of nice black slacks for funerals.  Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I do have a denim jacket that I only wear with black turtlenecks and black pants. I do not have a white button down shirt. I do not wear leggings as I think no one over 50 should even consider wearing them.

For me essentials are LBD, black ankle boots, strand of pearls, gold bracelet, pair of nice jeans, trench coat, and classic winter coat. 

Valued Contributor

I used to wear leggings back in the 80's early 90's, I own 2 pairs but they're on my "donate" list. I love crisp button down blouses. I can wear them year round here in Illinois. I just purchased a Denim Jacket from HSN. I thought I could pull it off. Nope, I felt like I was trying too hard. I have developed my own personal style, I try to spice it up in my own way. As Popeye would say, "I am what I am, and that's what I am".  I'm good with that.

Respected Contributor

Denim jacket with denim jeans= Canadian tuxedo. 😂

Now that I'm retired in Florida, my list of fashion essentials is different than when I lived in the upper Midwest. My clothes must be comfortable in hot humid weather. Hence, many tanks and sleeveless items. I don't care about my saggy arms. No leggings in the past, now, or ever. Denim jacket hangs in the closet for the couple of 63 degree days we will have in January. I did recently buy an ivory colored linen blazer, one button, unstructured. Might be able to use it on my trip to Michigan in August. my husband and I are both very casual. We seldom dress up. "Going out" means a chain steakhouse. No need for dressy clothes. I don't do white button down shirts. Love the look on other women who have waists (I used to. Sob.😆) and tuck them in. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

The only essential items for me are jeans, boots and flats for summer. I also like tank tops or T shirts paired with a duster. 

I've always wondered: why are white blouses knows as "crisp" white blouses? Is there such a thing as a white blouse that isn't crisp? That word doesn't make much sense to me.

The only difference I can discern is a white shirt vs. a blouse.  Women do wear shirts (button down) as well @teganslaw .  That would be the "crisp" description.  This is particularly true if it is cotton and collared.  I like mine primarily made of cotton and a little bit of lycra. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

This one is styled with jeans

Ralph Lauren - Classic No-Iron Shirt

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I've always considered must haves in a wardrobe to be the following:

Little Black Dress

Appropriate pumps (nude and black)

Black slacks

Nice button down crisp white blouse

Pearl Necklace

Diamond Stud Earrings

I don't any denim blazers or tops.  I only lean toward denim bottoms like skirts or jeans.  I'd only wear them a week or two in the climate I live in.  Makes no point in me buying them unless they are fur lined.

@wilmawhat you've described as must haves certainly are a far cry from what I've always thought.  Yours must be the new fangled "must haves for women of the 21st Century!  LOL

@gertrudecloset 

I actually have seen the items on your list posted as essentials. I own an LBD, black trousers, and pumps. As I mentioned in my original post I'm not a white shirt gal. I also am not a fan of pearls although I own one necklace from my wedding day. I don't wear earrings so no diamond  studs for me.

I have heard a lot of so called fashion experts say a denim jacket and black leggings are essentials. They definitely would be newer additions to the list. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the replies! I've enjoyed reading about what we all consider essential. I am glad we have lots of variety in what we can wear. My mother and grandmother didn't have nearly as many choices. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I've always considered must haves in a wardrobe to be the following:

Little Black Dress

Appropriate pumps (nude and black)

Black slacks

Nice button down crisp white blouse

Pearl Necklace

Diamond Stud Earrings

I don't any denim blazers or tops.  I only lean toward denim bottoms like skirts or jeans.  I'd only wear them a week or two in the climate I live in.  Makes no point in me buying them unless they are fur lined.

@wilmawhat you've described as must haves certainly are a far cry from what I've always thought.  Yours must be the new fangled "must haves for women of the 21st Century!  LOL

@gertrudecloset 

I actually have seen the items on your list posted as essentials. I own an LBD, black trousers, and pumps. As I mentioned in my original post I'm not a white shirt gal. I also am not a fan of pearls although I own one necklace from my wedding day. I don't wear earrings so no diamond  studs for me.

I have heard a lot of so called fashion experts say a denim jacket and black leggings are essentials. They definitely would be newer additions to the list. 

@wilmaI don't have any of these garments or the pearls.  My list is what "I thought" should be essential wardrobe items and of course the pearls gives some indication as to how old timey this thinking was.  Yes the so called experts can't dictate for me.  LOL.

I always like to have nice White collared button down shirts.  Love them, can't get enough.  What I hate about having them is ironing them.  Love to starch the collar.  After so long it doesn't look as White as I'd like so then, I get new. 

I do have black slacks and black pumps.  Not nude as the nudes you typically see are not nude for me.

No denim jackets.  It's not practical for me.  I actually like to wear jackets buttoned or zipped.  As far as leggings go I have athletic leggings.  I wore them to the gym to workout.  I have some hue jeggings and a few nydj's which I don't like their fit (didn't purchase from the Q).