Super Contributor

Re: Not Your “Essential” Clothing Items

@wilma 

I laughed when you mentioned your aversion to the white button down shirt. I, too, had to wear one for a school uniform for 12 years, and never made the connection as to why I never loved one as an adult. Recently I splurged on a white Side Stitch mandarin collar shirt and love it, but I can't do the stiff white button down shirt!

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

What is essential for some may not be for others.  We all have our own ideas of "essential."   

@tototwo 

Totally agree. That was my point in starting this thread. 

Honored Contributor

To be honest, I have all 3 of the things you listed.

Times have changed, though.  

Usually on the list was a little black dress (LBD) and I never owned one until about 3 years ago.  That's probably not on the list now!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

The only dresses that I own are "little black dresses."  There are four of them in the closet - with change of accessories - I can go ANYWHERE!

Frequent Contributor

Oy I cannot even count the number of denim jackets! Denim all shades and lengths, white, black, colors and I wear them all. I do not have any white button down blouses because they gap and I find that to look sloppy. However I have white and off-white tops of all varieties.
As for black leggings: I have a few pairs for winter from the old old Coldwater Creek that I love. Otherwise, no. LBDs and pencil skits, yes and yes.
Honored Contributor

I believe the pencil skirt is the one item of clothing that MOST body types look good in..

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always considered must haves in a wardrobe to be the following:

Little Black Dress

Appropriate pumps (nude and black)

Black slacks

Nice button down crisp white blouse

Pearl Necklace

Diamond Stud Earrings

I don't any denim blazers or tops.  I only lean toward denim bottoms like skirts or jeans.  I'd only wear them a week or two in the climate I live in.  Makes no point in me buying them unless they are fur lined.

@wilmawhat you've described as must haves certainly are a far cry from what I've always thought.  Yours must be the new fangled "must haves for women of the 21st Century!  LOL

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Franklinbell wrote:

Wow! It's so cool how different we all are and we still look amazing! I happen to love a crisp white  blouse. I just got into the whole Demin jacket thing. I wear mine with dresses and skirts. I have a few in assorted colors.  A few weeks back I wore a Demin jacket with an issac lace dress and a young lady in store said I looked good! It was a real confidence booster. Now as far as leggings go...I wear them in the house. They are not a figure flattering item for me.  I get mine at Costco! Right next to the cookies! Lol

Me too.  Seems I can never have too many long sleeved White blouses.  I love them....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

I have one denim cropped jacket that I keep in my car to wear in chilly restaurants during the summer.
I used to have a white button down shirt, but donated it. Every time I put it on with a skirt it just looked boring. I also find them uncomfortable.
I don’t even own a pair of shorts. Knee length skirts and dresses are so much cooler and comfortable!
Esteemed Contributor

The only essential items for me are jeans, boots and flats for summer. I also like tank tops or T shirts paired with a duster. 

I've always wondered: why are white blouses knows as "crisp" white blouses? Is there such a thing as a white blouse that isn't crisp? That word doesn't make much sense to me.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain