Trusted Contributor

Not Loving This Season’s Fashions!

You would think some stores would still carry quality made, classic (not conservative) tailored fashions. No. We used to have to pay more for the well made, classic, quality clothing (shirts that last 10 years!) that you would find at Talbots, Anne Taylor, Anne Taylor Loft and J.Jill. It was worth it to spend more money on their clothes because they lasted years, not anymore. Those same stores now produce fashions made of cheap, flimsy material, that start looking old after the fourth wash. I’ve looked around a lot this season and read many clothing reviews. All clothing manufacturers seem to be making what I call disposable clothing right now and charging more and more for their sub-standard fashions. Some (very few) look pretty, but are not made to last and designers know it. While for some, this season’s bell sleeves, “ditsy” ruffles, and fussy styles are wonderful, many of us prefer classic, tailored styles. You can’t find anything like that out in the stores right now, and if you do, it’s of poor quality. I’ve not seen one clothing item on QVC this season that I want to buy. That’s a first in 26 years! Younger shoppers never experienced the extremely high quality clothing of the 80s and early 90s. Materials didn’t pill or snag, and they were lite weight without being flimsy. Like I said, when you bought a pair of quality pants or a shirt, if you washed it on delicate or hand washed, it could last you up to 10 years. The clothing was phenomenal back then! Anyway, having experienced that quality for so many years, and now seeing what they are passing off as clothing at such high prices, makes me disgusted. I wish everyone could have experienced what fashion was like back then. Though maybe that wouldn’t be such a good thing, as there would be a lot of disappointed people going off on a “good old days” rant right now.😾

Honored Contributor

Re: Not Loving This Season’s Fashions!

I'm not buying anything new from anywhere. I don't care for the bell and or angel sleeves and I'm so sick of large flowers and prints. I think the well made classics are out there, it's just that anything like that is so expensive. Look at the fashion tops they are selling on the Q, over 50 dollars.

Valued Contributor

So far this season nothing has made me jump for joy.  Cold shoulder, bell sleeves, hi-low bottom hem to name a few.  

Super Contributor

My mother says this all the time. She dresses beautifully in her older clothes. She says to "Hold on to your older well made garments " because the quality is not the same. I have taken her advice and  do not shop retail as much. I do occasionaly shop at Garnet Hill. I used to like Talbots denim but returned the last too pair. The chemical smell was awful. i recently read one review on a blouse where the buyer found a chemical white powder that smelled on her garment . These chemicals cannot be healthy for the people making the clothes or those who wear before a few washings.  I did recently buy some older quality JJill, Boden and Talbot pieces off ebay. There is a big push with  Millennials against fast fashion. Maybe if this grows our landfills will be less filled and people will take care of what they have and not have to shop as much. I used to shop a lot but I am very selective after some large purges. I got tired of the disposible clothes cycle of cheap made garments that looked bad after a couple of washings. Its nice having extra money for more important things.

Floral Pillow
Respected Contributor

I hear you. I kept all of my Talbots slacks from years ago. They tell you to weed, but after I began working from home,  I'm just wearing my jeans from Coldwater Creek. I do purchase Women with Control pants because of the petite sizing. If I buy clothng from the Q it's usually an evening or lunchtime special. In general, I am not a fan of DC, Quacker Factory or Isaac M. They would be great, but then there's that little quirk that throws it off. Some LOGO pieces would be ok, but they really are expensive. I refuse to pay $70 for trendy clothing. It's not a value.

I have an all-weather coat from 1992. At the time, it was an $375 coat. That was a lot back then. Jones New York. It's still good. I have another coat that is 15 years old.  I have bags that are about old. Why don't I pitch them? Because they are still good and classic.

T shirts wear out in about six months time these days. I tend to go to Bolton's, TJ Maxx or H&M (on sale.). Sometimes there is a sale at Loft and I pick up things like T shirts. I buy lots of black and plain colors so they last.

There's really not that much out there that appeals to me. A lot of styles these days are for very young women and they're not making it for women over 40. So funny. When I was a young woman in my twenties, there didn't seem to be enough of age appropriate attire for the office and so I wore things that would be fine now. Only they don't exist at affordable prices.

I guess it's a good idea to hold onto classic styles. If you love it, buy two.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, well, since this is the third time you've posted this, I won't feel bad about repeating my reply once. :-)

@Ketra, I have a closet full of Talbots' tops, and they are top (pun intended) quality. They last forever and wash well.

For jeans, I love J.Crew for premium denim at what I think are reasonable prices. Their subsidiary Madewell looks very promising as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

My wallet wishes I didn't like this season's offerings, but I think I've bought more this year than others. 

I don't really want a t shirt that lasts 10 years. I have some, but they are now sleep shirts and not for wearing in public.  If I needed a coat, that might be different, but I dont.

My tastes change over a 10 year period and so does my body. I like fashion and I like indulging in some trends. My ,lifestyle is casual now. I have no need for stuffy career clothes.

I spend a little on trendy clothes. When they've served their purpose, they get donated. No big loss because I got my cost per wear out of them. I'll spend more for pants because they last several years.

I do save the bigger money outlay for bags and shoes. I don't go cheap with them and I keep them for years.

Respected Contributor

After going through four nor'easters, I am not in any mood to be buying spring clothing. It's the second day of spring and we have a snowstorm. Kind of a damper for spring fashion.

What I fear is that we will have an abbreviated spring and then a really hot summer. Then what they consider "spring' fashion can be worn only for  about a week, since it's too heavy. So in my case, whether I like the trends of spring 2018 is moot.

Honored Contributor

With my background in fabrics and clothes, I have wondered when things would eventually level out.  

Shoppers have demanded reduced prices, not buying until it's clearanced, and coupons on top quality items for years while demanding easy care with no dry cleaning.

I've watched Eileen Fisher "frozen out" until it was discounted.  Yes, of course a few items had been purchased, but essentially, the collection remained while keeping nice stores and paying to keep good employees.

Stores brought in less expensive items to keep profits up for shareholders.

Things will always level out somewhere and quality was where it landed.  The consumer still gets the store, good employees, wide choices, and they still get a coupon.

When we had those high quality clothes, many which were dry cleaned, we had a smaller wardrobe.  

It's like riding a merry-go-round.  Pick the spot where you will stand and take a jump.

The quality is still out there but, unfortunately, the price point is part of the package.

Honored Contributor

I have replaced my entire wardrobe this year. and have found   lots of very pretty clothes, that are well made, and fit me perfectly.

I have bought outerwear,  and sports wear, as well as some dressy items. I am more than pleased with everything