Honored Contributor

Re: Not Loving This Season’s Fashions!

@Ketrawrote:

@gidgetghwrote:

@Ketrawrote:

@RhondaRenawrote:

My mother says this all the time. She dresses beautifully in her older clothes. She says to "Hold on to your older well made garments " because the quality is not the same. I have taken her advice and  do not shop retail as much. I do occasionaly shop at Garnet Hill. I used to like Talbots denim but returned the last too pair. The chemical smell was awful. i recently read one review on a blouse where the buyer found a chemical white powder that smelled on her garment . These chemicals cannot be healthy for the people making the clothes or those who wear before a few washings.  I did recently buy some older quality JJill, Boden and Talbot pieces off ebay. There is a big push with  Millennials against fast fashion. Maybe if this grows our landfills will be less filled and people will take care of what they have and not have to shop as much. I used to shop a lot but I am very selective after some large purges. I got tired of the disposible clothes cycle of cheap made garments that looked bad after a couple of washings. Its nice having extra money for more important things.

@RhondaRena Your mother was a wise woman and taught you well.😊  I thought I would always be able to walk into a Talbots, Ann Taylor or J.Jill and buy well made, quality clothes. Wrong, they are made like clothes you find in Walmart or Kroger now, but still charging quality clothing prices. I’m glad to hear Millennials are pushing back against fast fashion. I hope they are successful in their movement and we can all enjoy well made, quality clothing made by companies that once again care about making the very best clothing they can. 

@Ketra- the clothes I buy at Talbots and J Jill (I buy all of my clothes at those two stores) are terrific quality. Not made at all like the clothing in Walmart that I’ve seen. 

And Kroger????

@gidgetgh  I’m glad the clothing that you purchased at Talbots and J.Jill was of good quality. I still have clothing from those stores that I purchased 15 years ago, and you would think I just purchased them. Same classic styles. I haven’t found my more recent purchases from those stores to be anywhere near the same quality. The really big Krogers here in the US now all have large clothing departments in them. They have really cute styles, but the materials they use don’t hold up. 

@Ketra- wow, Kroger....who knew!  I’m in Atlanta. That’s not where I do my grocery shopping but I’m in there enough to know that we don’t have clothes in the 4 stores by me yet. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I don't know what they are buying, but I am very particular about  clothing, and what I have gotten is very good quality

Another person who has a brand I trust, is Martha Stewart.  I have  quite a few of her garments and they are great

Trusted Contributor

@Ketrawrote:

@EatWellwrote:

@Ketra

You can find those kind of clothes from your “good old days” that you like to wear in second hand, or thrift stores.

Look there.  I’m sure you’ll find what you like and in the style you are accustomed to.  And you’ll save money on your clothes.  Smiley Wink

Good luck.

@EatWell Thanks! That’s a great suggestion. I’m all about saving money.🤑

@EatWell From your comment, “find those kind of clothes from your good old days that you like to wear in second hand, or thrift stores”, you may have misunderstood my conversation with a previous poster. When I said well made, classic, tailored clothing, I did not mean conservative clothing, that’s completely different. We’re talking Melania and Ivanka Trump’s classic, tailored style, not Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith show. 

Respected Contributor

@Ketrawrote:

@Ketrawrote:

@EatWellwrote:

@Ketra

You can find those kind of clothes from your “good old days” that you like to wear in second hand, or thrift stores.

Look there.  I’m sure you’ll find what you like and in the style you are accustomed to.  And you’ll save money on your clothes.  Smiley Wink

Good luck.

@EatWell Thanks! That’s a great suggestion. I’m all about saving money.🤑

@EatWell From your comment, “find those kind of clothes from your good old days that you like to wear in second hand, or thrift stores”, you may have misunderstood my conversation with a previous poster. When I said well made, classic, tailored clothing, I did not mean conservative clothing, that’s completely different. We’re talking Melania and Ivanka Trump’s classic, tailored style, not Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith show. 

you are really pushing the envelope today @Ketra.

Demeaning brands of clothing many women buy and like. Bringing up two extremely controversial women as your fashion icons.

Is this thread honestly meant as a good discussion or are you just looking for creating dissension?

Trusted Contributor

@Ms tyrion2  I have the right to say that the quality of certain brands of clothing have gone down and you have the right to disagree with me. Many in this forum agree with me and many do not. We are sharing our opinions on clothing quality & styles and nothing more. I value your opinion and want to hear it even if I don’t agree with it. In trying to make clear the difference between conservative classic styles, and classic, tailored styles I stated “We’re talking Melania and Ivanka Trump’s classic, tailored style, not Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith show’s style”. I could have said Kate Middleton’s style which is the same, and is mentioned over and over in numerous forums. I love Kate Middleton’s
style, but the first examples that came to my mind is Melania and Ivanka Trump’s style of dressing. Jackie Kennedy dressed in classic, tailored designs as well. If my examples offend you too bad. Everyone in this forum has a right to say who they think dresses well and has good taste. People do it every day in these forums. Just because you don’t like the names of the examples I’ve given, too bad. I fought for this country so that you and I could voice our opinions even if we completely disagree. You could say you admire anyone’s style that I find controversial and so what, we don’t agree, that’s life. That’s your opinion and you have a right to share it. Don’t try and deny me my right to share my opinion.

Contributor

I like this year’s fashions.  I think some of the bell sleeves, flowy chiffon, and a shark bite hems are interesting and different.  I buy a few of the fashion pieces every year and incorporate them into my wardrobe.  I have lots of classic pieces, too.  A beautiful pair of classic slacks looks awesome with a chiffon, bell sleeve top from Susan Graver. I love to mix and match the styles and get many, many compliments on what I wear. To each his own, you know?  Just thought I would add my two cents to the discussion on what I like.  I would also like to add that my Susan Graver, Isaac Mizrahi, and Louis Dell’Olio (sp?) clothing last for years if taken care of just like any of my Talbots items.  And.......I am Not young.  

Trusted Contributor

I feel the same way I think that is too much of every trend on almost all pieces it is just too much for me. I am only 5 feet tall and I have to keep that in perspective when I choose clothing.

Also, I  take good care of my clothes so they never wear out and I bought a few great things from QVC last year and they are in great shape. So I will only by a few things.

Trusted Contributor

@Squirrel Loverwrote:

I feel the same way I think that is too much of every trend on almost all pieces it is just too much for me. I am only 5 feet tall and I have to keep that in perspective when I choose clothing.

Also, I  take good care of my clothes so they never wear out and I bought a few great things from QVC last year and they are in great shape. So I will only by a few things.

@Squirrel Lover  I bought some great things at QVC last year too. Think of all the money we’ll save this year.😺

Trusted Contributor

@Cherylaywrote:

I like this year’s fashions.  I think some of the bell sleeves, flowy chiffon, and a shark bite hems are interesting and different.  I buy a few of the fashion pieces every year and incorporate them into my wardrobe.  I have lots of classic pieces, too.  A beautiful pair of classic slacks looks awesome with a chiffon, bell sleeve top from Susan Graver. I love to mix and match the styles and get many, many compliments on what I wear. To each his own, you know?  Just thought I would add my two cents to the discussion on what I like.  I would also like to add that my Susan Graver, Isaac Mizrahi, and Louis Dell’Olio (sp?) clothing last for years if taken care of just like any of my Talbots items.  And.......I am Not young.  

@Cherylay I love some of the Louis Dell’Olio and Susan Graver pieces too. All of the items I have purchased from them have been top quality, unique designs. I take care of my clothing as well because it’s a serious investment these days. And as you can tell I’ve gotten really picky about what I purchase.🤔 I love to hear other peoples opinions about fashion or whatever, even if I don’t share their same tastes. I learn a lot and sometimes will try something I never thought I would, other times not. It’s fun to share anyway.