Honored Contributor

Re: North Korean factories produce "Made in China" clothes

I haven't heard that from any reliable source.  It's being said but everything that we read online isn't true.   However, it wouldn't surprise me it it was true.  China is propping No Korea up and is No Korea's main trading partner.  So, it's logical that China would use No Korean labor.  I don't think it's any different than US companies manufacturing things in Bangladesh and India and Guatemala.  There is cheap labor in poor countries.  Let's not pretend that American companies pay those workers anything for than subsistance wages and that they don't work them like slaves.

Esteemed Contributor

I read about this topic more than a month ago. The story was on the Quartz website:

https://qz.com/1053045/your-made-in-china-clothes-may-actually-have-been-made-in-north-korea/

It does sound like non-transparent supply chains make it easy for unscrupulous manufacturers and/or 3rd party contractors to hide this practice.

Respected Contributor

I would really like to know the truth here...seems so - I would NOT purchase anything from NK, ever. Not thrilled about China either but what can you do... they have to have their 'special barbques' each year, ughhhhhhhhh. jmho

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@HiLo, Please let me preface by saying this is my perception -- not facts.  I assume that as a very large nation China has clothing factories within their geographic boundaries which produce much of the merchandise marked "made in China". That said, it is no secret North Korea does most of its commercial business with China, so it would stand to reason that Chinese manufacturing companies may utilize NK facilities.  

Thanks for your reply, Trixx.  Much to look into here.