Super Contributor
On 6/28/2014 Trix said:

I personally do not own a Northface coat, but it's a very popular brand. The numer of Northface coats I see on the streets of Chicago on women, men, and children can't be totally based on status and wearing a trendy label. Another popular brand seems to be Columbia.

That's what I wear most of the year, unless it is frigid and I need a coat. I love my Columbia fleece. My kids wear North Face.

Trusted Contributor
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm going to be checking out North Face at Nordies sale. Any particular things I should look for?
Trusted Contributor
Columbia is not as expensive as North Face. What happened to Lands End? That has been my favorite....boohoo
Respected Contributor
I like North Face, and have some Columbia jackets that I love for cold but not freezing weather. I prefer Patagonia for real performance. Usually more $$$ (but with NF, you are often paying more for the name), but totally worth it, IMO.
Honored Contributor

I prefer Marmot for a very warm jacket but don't have a long coat; that's on my list...check out backcountry.com; they carry all the big brands and are having a sale now.

Honored Contributor
I had a NF jacket that kept me warm and dry (waterproof) for many years. I replaced it with a LLBean jacket. I thought it was waterproof, not really. NF more expensive - worth it IMO. If there is an NF outlet store, check it out. I don't think major dept stores carry a full line of NF. Your better sporting good stores might be a good choice to see NF and other high end performance outter wear.
Respected Contributor

I have a full length down coat by North Face- Love it!

Frequent Contributor

I have a NF heavy down jacket, that is very warm. As a matter of fact I bought it at REI at one of their "garage sales", because it was a return. They list the return reason on the tag, the complaint was, that the jacket is too warm. I knew that was the jacket for me.

My girlfriend has a thinner mid-length Patagonia down coat, that has been great for most cold weather. When it gets brutal in NYC, she wears a bulkier coat.

Trusted Contributor

One thing about NF, it runs smaller than usual. It wears well and is really popular but you do pay for the name.

Super Contributor

Amazon.com carries the brand, if you'd like to check it out. But maybe with Nordies' sale coming up, they may be cheaper.