Esteemed Contributor

Nordstrom will permanently close 16 stores

Nordstrom will permanently close 16 regular Nordstrom stores and restructure management due to the pandemic. They haven't said which stores are on the chopping block yet. They are also going to move the yearly anniversary sale from July to August and implement a lot of safety measures in order to re-open stores.

Business Wire:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200505006103/en/Nordstrom-COVID-19-Business-Update

Seattle Times:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/retail/nordstrom-closing-16-full-line-stores-as-it-adapts-to-c...

I don't know if Nordstrom will be closing any Canadian stores permanently but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nordstrom will permanently close 16 stores

It's so sad to see these brick and mortar stores and mom and pop businesses closing and restructuring. We all have no idea what's going to happen from this pandemic. I told my DH it's like when you throw a stone in the water and it spreads out and out and out. This will change the landscapes of our lives as we know them. 

Honored Contributor

the ones that remain open are also temporarily getting rid of their bra fittings, alterations, shoe fittings, and makeup applications for 6 - 12 months.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 I just saw a report about all fitting rooms disappearing.   And clothes being quarantined if they're returned.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@sunshine45 I just saw a report about all fitting rooms disappearing.   And clothes being quarantined if they're returned.

@millieshops   That's shooting themselves in the foot. If you can't try on clothing, why go to the store? If it doesn't fit, it has to be returned & then quarantined? May as well continue to order online and try on at home. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nordstrom's has terrible fitting rooms. But not many stores, if any have great ones. Nordstrom's are small with terrible lighting. I've complained to them for a long time. So I quit using them.

Doesn't surprise me they are getting rid of them. Do people really use them anymore when they shop B&M?

Love Nordstrom's, my fav.

Honored Contributor

I am not surprised. I think they are going the way of many companies when the "kids" take over with new ideas.   They have changed many things over the past several years.  Quality of clothing and shoes has gone down.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been shopping at Nordstrom in recent years and really like them. I originally thought they wouldn't carry any clothes in my price range, but they do. Customer service is great, and no shipping charge for online purchases.

Fortunately, this permanent closing only applies to 1/7th of their stores. Hopefully, the rest will continue to operate. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I got the impression fitting rooms generally may disappear.  

I don't need anything for quite a while, so I can wait and watch what .really happens but if we don't have dressing rooms, I won't be buying much.  This is a change that could really help me downsize my wardrobe instead of turning to massive ordering and returning.  Even shopping locally, it's not unusual that I try on a dozen garments to find one or two I take home.

Esteemed Contributor

Nordstrom was not placing any new orders with vendors.. They were delinquent on their payments. It is no surprise what is happening. The sad story is that unemployment is probably going to remain high with all these changes. As they say for every action, there is a reaction.