Esteemed Contributor

Nordstrom and Penney follow Macy's in reports of weak 3rd quarter sales

Which means great deals this winter (if you feel confident about spending, that is). Wonder what QVC will do when others are slashing prices to reduce inventory? (That was a rhetorical question as we know the answer!)

Nordstrom closed down nearly 15 percent, for its worst day since July 2000. The stock is down 32 percent year-to-date.

Link to story

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Trusted Contributor

Re: Nordstrom and Penney follow Macy's in reports of weak 3rd quarter sales

[ Edited ]

Well, I certainly did my part to help Nordstrom's sales figures!

Respected Contributor

i'm now level 3.  i can't do any better.  it's up to the consumer now.  i'm really surprised.  they are always so packed with shoppers.

Honored Contributor

Qvc and Amazon are big part of why the old fashioned brick and mortars are slumping. If someone like me hasn't stepped into a mall to shop in many months, that tells you how bad things are for stores. I sit on my couch and shop via my tablet and my purchases arrive at my door within a few days. Even my local Wal-Mart doesn't have the lines and packed parking lot it had a short time ago.
Esteemed Contributor

I went to the mall today and only bought some new underwear. Everything else was meh. I mainly like to go during the Christmas season to look at the decorations or pick up on sales as my Christmas shopping is done. I did however get two pair of boots from Nordstroms for a discount, a new electric frying pan from Bed Bath and Beyond with 20% coupon, some flaked salt from Amazon all being delivered to me. Plus all had free shipping. 

Esteemed Contributor

The economy isn't as strong or robust as people think it is and the drop in sales at stores is a reflection of that. I may buy some clothes off the internet but it's tops, coats, jackets or dresses and alsmost never pants or shoes. I doubt that it's all internet sales taking place of stores though. I also read that auto sales are down too.

I've bought clothes from HBC's website in Canada but it's because I already own that style of top and am getting a different color that isn't available in store or is on sale online but not in store.

I've only bought Joan Rivers clothing from TSC in Canada this past year that are the same as what QVC sells and none of the other QVC clothing vendors that have come and gone have interested me. It's been nearly 2 years since I bought an Isaac Mizrahi scarf and I have no interest in his cashmere or pants. I may look at Clarks shoes but when it comes to buying shoes I need to try them on in a store.

Honored Contributor

I moved from Southern California to the Pacific Northwest almost 25 years ago.  I went into shock because the only nice department stores here were Nordstrom and the Bon Marche.  I was used to Bullocks, Robinsons, Nordstrom, Saks, Neimans, Bloomingdales, etc. (I know some of those are gone).  I immediately started shopping on-line and have been ever since.  I think Nordstrom has really gone down in quality since the younger generation took over.  The Bon Marche was bought by Macy's and Neimans moved to Bellevue but nothing else has happened. 

Contributor

Macy's in my town has really gone down the tubes.  What was once a premier store is now no different than anywhere else.  The third floor of the store has the Womens Plus Sizes, all Bedroom and Bathroom Goods, Housewares, the Fine China and Crystal Department, and the Bridal Registry.  THERE ARE TWO SALES ASSOCIATES FOR THE FLOOR!!!!   And, when one goes to lunch the other covers it all!!  It is a joke!  If you want to purchase anything you have to walk around the entire floor to see where they are.   You see goods all the time just thrown somewhere when someone got tired of looking and just dumped it.  That is, if you can find anything.  Our Macy's keeps cutting the amount of mdse in each department .  I think they are doing everything they can to discourage shoppers to eventually just close the store. 

Trusted Contributor

I love Nordies quality, and love to shop online there.  But I agree that Macy's merchandise has gone downhill.  I haven't been to a Macy's for a long time but I agree with the previous poster who said its hard to find a salesperson in the store when trying to buy clothes.  It seems like there is only one person to ring up your clothes, and if it's a little crowded, the line is long, sometimes I don't even want to wait for my turn, just feel like walking away.  I was never a Penny's shopper.

Trusted Contributor

The only online shopping I do is QVC and Macys once in a while!!   I still like to be in the stores and I agree that the large stores have become messy recently!!   I also feel that all the online shopping plus all the other push button and remote things we live with now are doing some of us more harm than good!!  I am retired and need to get out of the house and move around some so I don't become a couch potatoe!!!  I get a good workout when I walk up and down the mall!!Woman Wink