Honored Contributor

I do not go out of my way to go to the Rack.  The stores near me are small and a huge disappoinment.  There is a huge one near my daughter's home, that is wonderful.

Most of the time our Rack carries tons of Philosophy, and some cosmetics, mainly al lot of bath gels and lotions.  Even things like huge bottles of Neutrogena lotion, so I am not sure it all comes out of their stores.

The shoes are not good, mainly lime green, hot pink and yellow hoochie mama pumps, or some shoes in odd sizes. They have some jewelry,and handbags.  The clothes selections seems like it is a lot of a few selected items, in different colors and sizes. The higher end denim like true religion and 7 for mankind, seems to be irregular.  There may be 200 of one style on special.  You have to sort through them to find one without a flaw.

Our stores are in Silicon Valley, so I don't think it is an area thing, but it is certainly not the best of their products.

Many of the items you can get on sale at same price.

But, here is the deal.  You can find some one of a kind items at greatly reduced prices, especially if you go in everyday like some ladies!  Every lunch a friend goes in there.  A few times a month she really gets a bargain on something she really needs. She got a St John jacket once for 45 dollars.  I think it ran 550 reg price!

Honored Contributor

Mine is junky, messy, and has some brands I never heard of before. The handbags and shoes are the best part. After a few disappointing trips there I just don't even go in anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

As a Nordstrom retail shopper for years I can tell you that a lot of what you see in a Nordstrom rack never saw floor space in a regular Nordstrom store.  Just like other retailers they buy a lot of merchandise in bulk for the Rack stores especially clothing.  Not the usual,Nordstrorm quality IMHO.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

As a Nordstrom retail shopper for years I can tell you that a lot of what you see in a Nordstrom rack never saw floor space in a regular Nordstrom store.  Just like other retailers they buy a lot of merchandise in bulk for the Rack stores especially clothing.  Not the usual,Nordstrorm quality IMHO.

This is my belief.  The new clothes at my N are off-brands or bulk purchases and not found at the main store.  We do have a small area with upscale brands (EF, Theory, Kors, Trina Turk, Vince) that are good quality, and our shoes/purses are good quality, but otherwise, I just shop the clearance area where one can sometimes find a quality garment at a great bargain.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

There are no Nordstrom Rack stores in Canada yet (they won't be here until 2017) but I do visit the stores in Washington state at Alderwood and the Auburn supermall. It's hit and miss like every rack.

Nordstrom has only opened their Vancouver, BC flagship store this past month and it's a disappointment as there are no clothes from women who wear a size 12 and up.

The store is basically catering to very small women. I likely won't be visiting them again any time soon, I'd rather go to the U.S. stores.

Respected Contributor

@TY a few years ago i was shopping at my nordies and was talking to a woman who was complaining also that she couldn't find any clothes to fit a larger size and someone her age. i remember telling her to talk to a sa and maybe they could help her, but maybe this is a problem throughout the nordstrom stores. or was in the past.

Esteemed Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@TY a few years ago i was shopping at my nordies and was talking to a woman who was complaining also that she couldn't find any clothes to fit a larger size and someone her age. i remember telling her to talk to a sa and maybe they could help her, but maybe this is a problem throughout the nordstrom stores. or was in the past.

I don't know but I think that The Nordstom Vancouver store is catering to the 1 percenters and asian high rollers. The store is new and gorgeous but like I said there's no clothes for women bigger than a size 12. They didn't learn from Target Canada's debacle as they never broght in bigger sizes until they had already filed for bankruptcy and were liquidating. 

But other retailers aren't going to rest on their laurels and Nordstrom better not either...they may be fun to visit but other stores are where I spend money. I bought nothing from Nordstrom that first visit. When you are paying $10 on a weekend to park downtown, you aren't going to waste your time at places that don't have your size.

Respected Contributor

@TY I adore Vancouver, BC and wish I had the opportunity to get there more often.  I could see myself living there.  One thing I did notice while browsing the shops (on Robson Street at least) was that the sizes carried in most shops were very small.  As a standard 10/12 girl, I was disappointed to find that there were few things for me.  I'm sorry to hear that Nordstrom is following suit.  Seems like a bad business decision. 

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Shoekitty said

Oh kathypet, you said it!  I look at some the items (especially the specials and those that they have TONS of) and wonder if they were ever in a Nordie.  I think the Rack gets lots of items from their vendors at special prices, and they sell it along with the odds and ends that do make it from their stores.

I once heard from inside from the clearance stores like Ross and Marshalls. He said they buy lots by the piece size.  Like dresses, ex. 1000 pieces, swimsuits 500 pieces.  Then they are sold in either odds and ends, or in 3 style lots.  So they will get 3 styles of dresses in all sizes in 1000 pices lots, and so on. You can also order as an example,  POLO lots, or other name brand lots.I believe you can also order first quality runs, seconds or thirds  You do not know what you will get, there are no returns, and all lots may include items up to 4 seasons back.  The 4 season back thing explains a few items I see.  LOL

Honored Contributor

The Rack near me is in a mall with outlet and offprice stores and it is the one that I go to least.

Selection is hohum and pricing I find to be high other than basics like tees etc.

Talking about Bergen Town Center, Paramus

Disclaimer,  I don't shop at Nordstroms either,  but it's a personal taste