Super Contributor

Re: Nordstrom: Good Financial News

Love Nordstrom and plan purchases for the Anniversary Sale all year long. This year was no different. Shopped on line and did returns in person at our local store so that I could get the returns processed asap. As some have said, our store also had few shoppers. 

Garments were not sized correctly despite sales associates standing around with seemingly not much to do. Our store has large areas of selling space that has minimal fixtures.  It's looked like that for a year, so this isn't a recent change.  I live in an area with  a strong economy and good employment. 

In my case, I think Nordstrom's situation is due to the overall decline in shopping at malls.  Our mall is well kept up and has been updated. As malls go, it's certainly a decent place to shop but it's just not fun or inspiring.  Being in it reminds me that I'm not the only one who doesn't go to malls anymore. 

I am happy to hear that Nordstrom's sales are improving! 

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

The Nordstrom I shop in is never without customers.  Never a problem with the economy in the Washington, DC area that's for sure.  That store has more customers then you can count. 

interestingly though, the dulles nordstrom just closed, but the rack store nearby remained open.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Our Nordstrom had little of the featured items for the sale in the store. The clothing area is always empty with pushy sales personnel. I rarely shop there anymore. It is a shadow of what it once was...

Respected Contributor

@handygal2 

Thanks for the good news about Nordstrom Heart

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

The Nordstrom I shop in is never without customers.  Never a problem with the economy in the Washington, DC area that's for sure.  That store has more customers then you can count. 

interestingly though, the dulles nordstrom just closed, but the rack store nearby remained open.

@sunshine45 the nordstrom I'm talking about in Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, MD.  According to Washingtonian Magazine Bethesda is the new Potomac.  They're really building it up and it was expensive to begin with to live and now it's even higher with all the new condos in downtown Bethesda.  I can see why it's called the new Potomac. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I was going to say the Dulles store barely had any inventory the last couple of years and scaled down to store brands only.  At that point there was no reason for me to go there other than to return stuff I bought online.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2

"...the second quarter's results seemed to impress investors...."   Yeah, but I'll bet they were even more "impressed" with the hint that the family might take the company private!  Smiley Wink

"Taking the company private would free the luxury retailer from the heightened expectations and constraints that come with being accountable to shareholders, and the potential move was seen as a sign that Nordstrom family recognized the need to be able to innovate without the pressure of showing strong results every quarter."

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35

Where do you live? I grew up in Northern Virginia and the last place I lived was Reston

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo I live inPrince William County but I am originally from Long Island.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 @sunshine45

When I was there back in the seventies there was one access road in and away from Dulles Airport! A lot has changed! LOL