Honored Contributor

Re: No wonder malls are closing!

It's because most people shop online, so they don't stock stores.  Why would they bother if no one comes to shop.  

Honored Contributor

And that is exactly why I shop online!  I want what I want.  I don't want to have to settle for whatever some store happens to have.  I don't want to go to store or mall for something very specific and walk out empty handed.  With online shopping I can get anything I want and have it delivered to my door.  B&M stores don't have a choice, they are limited to the space they have and they have to use that space wisely by selling sizes/colors/styles that are safe and that they know customers will buy.     

Honored Contributor

I don't think Cuddl Duds is the only winterproofing brand and perhaps since so many on-line and in-mall stores are selling them a few stores choose to sell other brands to prevent a monopoly for those who like choice.

Valued Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

Went to our local mall today, first time in about 3 years, looking for 2 things, Cuddl Duds long underwear/base layer and a warm knit stocking cap for hiking,

4 stores and not a single package of long johns anywhere, none. Went into ******'s sporting goods and they had no kind of base layers either, They did have some stocking caps and warm hats like Patagonia but c'mon $42! Nope, Not for a hat.

JC Penney seemed to be 80% men/boys and a little bit of womens aand mostly all junky stuff. Macy's had nothing either.  Hardly any people in the mall when I was there,

Finally went over to TJ Maxx and found a hat but no Cuddl Duds. They had 5 packages of them and people had opened them up, all in size large anyway so all I got today was a hat.

Went home and checked stores online like Lands End, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Duluth Trading Company and they all had some kind of base layer clothing and lots of 25-50% off sales,  Lands End was 50% off. It's sad that B&M retailers just are not competing  at all it seems 

@PinkSunsetJust wanted to let you know that Kohls carries quite a bit of Cuddl Duds :-) I'm a CD queen LOL I live in their clothes and I get most of mine there or here on the Q, but Kohls ends up usually being much much cheaper! (coupon codes, etc)

Yeah, last year I got some from Kohls but they pilled something awful. They were not the silk-like ones but felt more life brushd flannel, and then they wore out completely, I don't really like Kohls stores and find that no matter what I buy there it seems like a cheaper version of what is solf elsewhere,

Yes, places like REI carry them too but $$$$. Typically the stores I mentioned in the OP are for people who hike in winter a lot like I do so they carry good quality outdoors clothing but it is expensive, I was hoping to find something nice without spending the big bucks, Like I said $42 for a stocking cap means that store is going to charge a bundle for other clothing too. 

Honored Contributor

I went to my favorite mall on Black Friday when we were downstate for the weekend. I found everything I wanted and more! There's nothing like seeing, feeling, touching and trying on an item before buying! I LOVE shopping in person! When I'm home, I much prefer to shop my local businesses to help keep them in business! Please shop local ladies!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I muttered the same exact thing several weeks ago. 

Tried to purchase 2 small items at JCPenney, but they rang up for more than the indicated price.  The cashier tried to get a manager over, but he was delayed.  I just walked away.  

Second store had a large ad in the window for a jacket, which I wanted to look at.  They did not have it.  Yes, they did not have a jacket that they advertised for in the window.  So sorry, did I want to come back in 2 weeks when they might have it?  No, I don't.

No wonder malls are closing.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

I can confirm this information is also correct in my area.  I was looking for the cuddle duds ladies cotten tank.  I had to go to Macy dot com as it was not in any local stores in a 2X.  I don't know what I'd do if online services disappeared tomorrow, especially for larger sizes.

My hubby is a big and tall and he has not bought shoes in a store in the last 10 years. Online is truly a blessing.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

You can justa about find anything you want oline.  Not the stores.  

Honored Contributor

On-line shopping is not the only reason malls are closing.  There was a lot of violence taking place in malls and business owners developed a new model, the upscale maze malls where it is harder to get in and out.  That only added to some shoppers' woes but it kept the criminal elements to a minimum because it was more difficult for them to get in and out and make a "quick break" from the police.  It kept gangbangers from shooting up the customers during their drugged rants and especially in the holiday season.  Just taking the word of a professional who developed many malls and then began developing the mini-maze malls.  

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday I live near Pittsburgh.  The criminal element has virtually destroyed 2 of the malls that were considered upscale at one time.  1 is in bankruptcy and the other has a heavy police presence.  The one mall still doing well is very upscale--Nordstroms, Macys, Tiffany, Tesla, you get the idea.  If you have any type of walking difficulties, it is impossible to get around the mall.  Parking is a nightmare and the traffic is worse.  I'm guilty of on-line shopping and have had very few issues with shipping and returns.  I got a pair of Levis from Amazon that fit perfect and were only $30, free-shipping.  I'm a terrible fit in jeans.  My go to catalogue just sent me a 50% off coupon today, free-shipping.  So I'll be ordering from the comfort of home.