Super Contributor

Re: No real bargans that I see

@stevieb I've also noticed that Bath & Bodyworks' semi annual sales are not what they used to be either.  I may or may not go there before it is over.  I went to their semi annual sale this past summer and it was not all that.  I remember years ago when I loved getting great sales.  

The only after Christmas sales that I may look into would be Macy's, Stein Mart and J.C. Penney.

Respected Contributor

Home Goods had 50% off their Christmas items yesterday when I was in.  I almost got a big Spode Christmas Tree bowl for $20, but I don't need any more dishes. 

I think it's smart for retailers to give great discounts prior to Christmas.  That way they can have more sales purchases instead of competing with other retailers after the holiday.  The price they pay to get the items on the shelves is the same before the 25th or after, so they might as well push as much inventory out before all the stores are doing the 50% discounts. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Nope, never a "real" bargain at QVC. A "sale/clearance" is typically equivalent to 30-70% off, BUT not at he Q! lol

They think a $5-10 markdown is BIG NEWS

Honored Contributor

I just got 2 blouses, prior to Christma,s from Q. One was Dennis Basso and one Joan Rivers , they were both 1/2 off

I got Cashmere sweaters at about 75% off from Isaac Mizrahi. You have to hunt for them. You won't find them on air. Look online

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The convenience of shopping from your sofa doesn't come cheap.  If you want bargains you need to get out and shop in dtores.

I never go to stores but I got some great sweaters from Kohls online with free shipping for 9.00 each. I don't usually like Kohls but I wanted some light weight cowl neck sweaters. I love them. I'm not spending QVC prices for clothing. I am an online shopper.  Actually on the rare occasion I go into a store the selection is very limited. But you are right. For the opportunity to see the items on TV, you will pay for it.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  ....   Many online vendors offer great sales.   No need to go to Brick and Mortar stores.   Check out the Macy's website.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I want something from the Vermont Country Store and there are no discounts!!!Smiley Sad      (Just cute guys!!!)!Smiley Happy

@ECBG 

Yes, they are worse than Dillard's which, both, sell Eileen West and do you think there is a discount on either?  Nooooooo.  I usually buy RL's robes from Dillard's (terry, thick, lush) when they are on sale in summertime and just wear the ragged-out ones until the sale but this year, my DH wanted me to have a newish one so I got an Ugg's.  Just $10 cheaper than RL and about half as thick.

So my theory is get what you want, pay the price so you won't have to look back.  I once made the mistake of buying a Barefoot Dreams robe.  My washer/dryer and bank account hate me for that.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree - no rreal bargains to be had. A mere $5.00 off here and there....on already high priced clothing (mostly polyester). 

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I want something from the Vermont Country Store and there are no discounts!!!Smiley Sad      (Just cute guys!!!)!Smiley Happy

I love their catalogs, and I too am looking at a barn coat.....but they rarely discount. Their prices are high. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I sort of think we might be seeing higher clothing prices soon. I read something on Forbes that sort of  said this is going to happen

If that happens, sales will be down. At some point the "convenience" becomes cost prohibitive.