Trusted Contributor

Re: No more coloring. Going natural

I agree @ID2 . I workout at least 5x per week. I strive to keep my skin healthy and glowing as best I can. I do color my hair and I do not want to let it go grey and look 20 years older. Some here say they don't or it shouldn't matter. If they are fine with it I have no problem. For me, I know I would look much older and nobody here can tell me otherwise and for this reason: Almost every time I go out with my 30+ year old daughters, people tell me I look like their sister. I know for a fact, if I had grey hair they would not say that. Even though I am fit, wear stylish clothes, makeup when I go out but at a minimum, my hair would give my age away. 

Respected Contributor

@cjm61 wrote:

I agree @ID2 . I workout at least 5x per week. I strive to keep my skin healthy and glowing as best I can. I do color my hair and I do not want to let it go grey and look 20 years older. Some here say they don't or it shouldn't matter. If they are fine with it I have no problem. For me, I know I would look much older and nobody here can tell me otherwise and for this reason: Almost every time I go out with my 30+ year old daughters, people tell me I look like their sister. I know for a fact, if I had grey hair they would not say that. Even though I am fit, wear stylish clothes, makeup when I go out but at a minimum, my hair would give my age away. 

I guess for me, it's not important to try to look like my daughter's sister, which I don't anyway because I'm 36 years older than she is. I'm ok being 61 years old, and having naturally salt and pepper hair feels like the authentic me (I have never colored my hair). Personally, I think having a great hairstyle, be it long or short, is a major key to successfully and confidently sporting silver locks. There are lots of websites featuring beautiful women who have decided to transition to gray, and it's empowering for me to look at them.

Trusted Contributor

No matter how pretty looking a shade of gray hair is, I personally think it makes a woman look older. Good for those that feel good with it! I will always keep my dark brown hair.
Contributor

I can guarantee you that is Not natural gray hair on Pam the model!  It has been in fashion the last couple of years for younger people to make their Blonde hair more of a platinum gray color, which I don't think is very flattering because it doesn't go with most skin tones, also the purple shampoo left on too long will give it a purple/gray color...

going with warmer golden blonde is much better choice on most skin tones! 
Pam's hair will be different again, as she likes to change the color of her hair.

Now Jane's hair difinely is her own color going more natural gray...

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@mjmm    Icolored for over 40 years as I started going platinum silver in my 20's.... I quit with the hair color in 2013... cut off all my long dyed locks... and grew it out. Have never missed the coloring every week to keep the roots from looking white....it was a full time job let alone so TOXIC. 

love my white silver hair and get complements all the time now where I never got complements when I colored my hairWoman LOL

@SeaMaiden  I hear you about the weekly coloring.  I did that, too, at my hairline around my face and down my part.  

I think nothing looks worse than roots growing out, especially if you are using a darker color.  Most women don't take the time or trouble to touch up as soon as it is needed. 

I  got tired of it along with the thought of all the toxic kr@p I was putting on my head.  Also, my head itched from all that goo.  

I grew mine out and haven't looked back.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  EXACTLY!

Trusted Contributor

Never going gray.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i stopped coloring in July 2020 so it's 18 months now. 

the toughest part was the first few inches of "grey" because the contrast is so harsh to the eye. 

my hair is actually not that steely grey my roots showed. it's just a faded version of my dark blonde hair with white mixed in.  a bit more white at the temples and front. 

i'm keeping the length so there is a line of demarcation but - i used demi-perm color .   permanent color would be very obvious.  

no more hair masks and conditioners to fight the dryness from coloring.  no longer need the shine spray.

yah keep thinking should i the bottle again. but i've come this far. one day at a time. 

ed. i do get 3-4" trimmed off the ends to cut out the old color as it grows out. so i'm not walking around like a torti cat.

Trusted Contributor

I think every woman should do whatever makes her feel good about herself!

Personally, I will continue to use my Garnier Nutrisse Light Golden Brown #63  hair color  about every 10 to 12 weeks, and touch-up my gray roots with Madison Reed powder in medium brown! I wear my hair below my shoulders and have bangs, so my style does not require too much root touch-up between colorings.

This works well for me! I have a very pale "Scots-Irish" complexion...and my natural hair color was a dark brown. I have lightened my hair gradually over the years to a golden brown. But when I have not colored it for a while and pull back my bangs, I can see the gray roots against my face...and frankly, I look very washed-out. So I will keep coloring for now! 

But again, I don't think there is a "right or wrong" here that applies to everyone, other than that each of us should do whatever we feel is right for us!😉 

Trusted Contributor

@jonbon Just to clarify, I never said it was "important" to look the same age as my children. Maybe my point was not clear. Many posters here stated grey does not make them look older. On me, it would. I used one example of my experience expressing that I WOULD look older and not be mistaken for a sibling. I also agree with you that a proper haircut is very important. I just don't find heroism or empowering seeing a grey haired women. If we live long enough we all go grey. There are so many other things I believe are empowering and who I recognize as hero's, nothing to do with grey hair.