Esteemed Contributor

I so agree with u. I have way too many clothes - I've been retired for 20 years - so my wardrobe consists mostly of casual clothes. There is no more room in my closet as well.

Lots of clothes from the Q - and Kohls - and Costco.

Done and Done!!!

Honored Contributor

No...it doesn't "allow" me to take a look at my wardrobe.  I know what I have and have enough self-discipline to say no to something new if I shouldn't buy it.

With the new Belle Beach coming up on Sunday, I may be buying new hangers.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor
Unbelievable how people can be so rude. Why respond to the poster with snarky comments? Just don’t respond at all! Remember what we learned in GRADE school: “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
Honored Contributor

It's sad, but not at all unexpected, to see nastiness in the fashion forum too. I see nothing wrong with what @chessylady did. Posting this topic just as a topic for discussion. Seeing it as anything else is kind of on the individual poster.

Personally I don't think bringing what she said in another topic into it is appropriate either. I will probably get attacked for this post too, but whatever.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

I see not buying new clothes because "I do not need them or can't afford them" to be a totally different reasoning than what I perceive the OP has suggested.

This # reasoning to not purchase is to promote a specific Social Agenda...nothing more.

NOT to reevaluate our selves, our needs, our excesses, our gluttony, but to promote someone else's agenda. 

Honored Contributor

I went into my coat closet the other day looking for a jacket to wear... found a jacket I had forgotten I bought like three years ago.. it was perfect for what I needed and was like new.  I guess I need to shop my closet more often LOL!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC offensive to some

Honored Contributor

@chessylady, thank you so much for this thread. I think it's a reasonable idea for many people. I've no need for new clothes and will not be looking for clothes to buy unless and until I need to.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

There is a group called Remake that is asking people to take a pledge to buy no new clothes for three months. This allows you to take a look at your wardrobe, wear things you haven't worn recently and donate clothes that are no longer useful. You may also use this time to decide if you want to continue to buy cheap disposible clothing that is made by slave labor. Also the manufacture of the fabric is often bad for the environment and the people who live nearby. We can make a choice to buy second hand clothes during the three months and also just wear our clothes longer. I have been guilty of buying clothes I don't need as a recreational habit. I am going to be more mindful about my wardrobe.I know I will get incoming flack from many people but I am prepared for that.

To me this is a myob time.  Yes you will get flack from me.  It is nobody's business what I buy or don't buy, and it's time for some to stop trying to tell the rest of us how to live.  

Sorry, but more and more I resent people telling me what I should think and do!  

Honored Contributor

@chessylady, I should have added that I seriously hope that you can ignore those attacking you for posting such an innocuous SUGGESTION to those who might benefit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland