Honored Contributor

While 'Remake' (whoever they are) are promoting this idea for their lofty purposes, did they ever bother to think what would happen if we all did this?

How many more stores do you want to see close?  How many more people will lose their retail jobs?  Trucking, shipping, packaging, dock workers....etc etc. 

Not all clothing is made by slave labor as you state...or they state.  Shutting down (as clearly is their intent) for however good ideals, will boomerang to an entire economy.

I do not purchase  'cheap, disposable clothing'.  I buy quality and it gets donated when I am finished with it...not because it is junk, but because I no longer want/wear it.

I do not live my life by any #

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife The point of being a thoughtful consumer is to buy according to your own values that will create a need to change in the industries that are abusing people or hurting the environment. There is success to be had by businesses that understand the future. I'm sure when motor vehicles were invented, some people asked what would become of the horse and buggy businesses. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know why anyone actually needs to keep buying new clothes even if they are working or going on a special trip or something.

Yes clothes wear out and need to be replaced. Sometime we want things new and it may be exciting or uplifting to buy something new but constantly buying new things? I can't relate to that.

However we all have our own obsessions or I guess you could call them addictions even. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

For the past two days, I have been going through the clothing of an elderly friend in a nursing home. She will remain there for the rest of her life.  I have sold her house and it will settle at the end of June.

Tomorrow, my brother and nephews will come and remove the furniture and boxed up things to donate.  I still need to go through a closet in the second bedroom.

After this, I promise not to buy clothing that I do not need.  What a chore!  Many items still have tags on them.  I'll bet I donated at least 50 pairs of black and navy pants that were new or like new.

She has beautiful and expensive clothing.  I have been buying her groceries for years because she didn't have any money.  She was a shopaholic when it came to clothing.  When you are retired, you do not need a working wardrobe.

I wish I could sell her clothing for her or take it to a consignment shop.  She needs the money, but I don't have enough time.

We really don't need a ton of clothing.  When you have way more than you need that is gluttony.  There is no justification for it.

I am guilty as well, but since I have retired, I don't buy much unless I need to.  It is not easy to resist.

Respected Contributor

If I never buy another article of clothing, I have more than enough already to last the rest of my life.  I just like a few new things every now and then.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

I'll take a pass on that idea!!!  Can't see why I would take a "pledge" even for a day!!  I like clothes and if I see something I really like (even though I'm a retired homebody and have lots of clothes) I will buy it!  I worked hard all my life and can afford new clothing.  No reason to not buy what I want.    Life is too short and even if I never go many places I will have a smile on my face while wearing my new clothes at home!!

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I don't know why anyone actually needs to keep buying new clothes even if they are working or going on a special trip or something.

Yes clothes wear out and need to be replaced. Sometime we want things new and it may be exciting or uplifting to buy something new but constantly buying new things? I can't relate to that.

However we all have our own obsessions or I guess you could call them addictions even. 

Ah, but there's a happy medium between "constantly buying new things" and not buying any.  This pledge is to not buy any.  Doesn't work for me.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

There is no doubt that it is an addiction for some people. Trying to fill emptiness, void, or whatever other reasons. Whether people want to deal with those issues is up to them. I have dealt with them and made changes. Shopped from my closet much more. Shifted priorities.

I have a family member with an obvious addiction to thrift shops and old records and the like. He is in denial. The thing is, he has filed for multiple bankruptcies over however many years. He is not dealing with the psychological reasons why he continues on this course. Does not know how to manage money at all.

Looking at his situation, well it scares me.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Ah, but there's a happy medium between "constantly buying new things" and not buying any.  This pledge is to not buy any.  Doesn't work for me.

Yes of course there is. Fashion is fun, it's a way to express yourself and to take pride in how you look. But this pledge is only for three months, I could do three months of not buying new clothes. I'm not saying anyone else has to-to make that clear before I get pounced on.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

Re: #No New Clothes

[ Edited ]

I have more than enough clothes to last for many years, but if I see something that I like or want, I'm going to buy it. I don't buy fast fashion. I also don't live my life according to anyone else's social agenda or virtue signaling, and I'm sure as heck not going to live it according to a hash tag. 

Buy new clothes, don't buy new clothes. It's a choice, neither of which makes one bit of difference to me. It sure as heck doesn't make anyone morally superior, which is definitely the vibe I'm getting from the OP.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~