Honored Contributor

Re: Nicole Kidman super cute @ French Open!

@golding76 wrote:

Pearley, I am pretty much in your corner, too, on the aging gracefully, but I tend to be lenient -- up to a point -- with those in professions where good looks are critical to personal success.

Of course, you could argue that some of the "improvements" make the individual look absurd, not better looking, and I gree.   There is a safe point for corrections (with a skilled and talented surgeon), but I think folks become addicted and try to maintain their characteristic look too long.  Two individuals come to mind.  Raquel Welch and Jaclyn Smith did some minor work years ago and looked stunningly beautiful.  You rooted for them!  But each, to my mind, has now gone a wee bit too far and artificiality has raised its not-so-pretty head.   Didn't Jackie Kennedy Onassis say that a woman can get one facelift in her lifetime -- in her 60s.  After that, stick with what transitions befall you.  I figured she knew what she was talking about because she ran with the rich ones who did these things for years before the masses began taking on such ways.

Long ago, I made a decision not to go to nips and tucks.  I noticed two actresses who were contemporaries, I think, and one looked so lovely and sweet -- but the other looked frightening, truly horrific.  Who were they?  Helen Hayes and Gloria Swanson.  I made the decision to go with the Helen Hayes crowd.  I am not thrilled by all the things my face has decided to do as it ages, but, as the saying goes, it is what it is, and I am what I am.

I see exactly what you are saying @golding76.  But the thing is, women can look beautiful even having aged.   If only enough let themselves age naturally for that to be an acceptable standard.  Jessica Tandy was beautiful even in old age, wrinkles and all.  I don't know whether she's had work done or not, but Blythe Danner is showing her age with wrinkles and is beautiful.   The more celebrities who forego the artificial faces - however they are achieved - the more aged beauty would become the norm.

Honored Contributor

I fully agree with you, Pearley, and your examples are two women whose aging beauty impressed/impresses me.  Love Danner's looks now!

Honored Contributor

Image result for Gloria Swanson - photos in old ageImage result for Gloria Swanson - photos in old age

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For my own reasons, I'd rather be this woman.

Image result for helen hayes

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I realize I'm not a celeb but this isn't something I'd wear to a tennis match.  Seems a tad overdressed, to put it mildly. 

Okay, now I see as I read further she wasn't just attending the match. She was there for a specific reason. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I realize I'm not a celeb but this isn't something I'd wear to a tennis match.  Seems a tad overdressed, to put it mildly. 

Not to me (except for being too hot!).  She wasn't there as a player or spectator but as a presenter.  I thought her dress (which wasn't my taste) was appropriate to the occasion of being a presenter.

Honored Contributor

@golding76  Hays is beautiful!   

Recently I read Barbra Streisand getting many kudos for her looks at age 75 (recent birthday).  But then I saw part of that old film Funny Lady (sequel to Funny Girl) and her eyes in that film were so big and round and beautiful.  Now they are much more squinty from her face being pulled tighter.  She looks to me like someone who is 75 trying to look 30 again.  It just doesn't work.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Okay, now I see as I read further she wasn't just attending the match. She was there for a specific reason. 

I think also, though, that it is not unusual to see celebrities a bit more "dressed up" at these big tournaments (French Open, Wimbledon).

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I agree, Swissguy!  What a great take on a classic look.  Love her hair and makeup, too.  She has such lovely features, and she is fortunate to be naturally svelte.

All in all, in my opinion she looks spectacular.  

This is a cute picture, probably the best I have seen her.  Not a fan of how she dresses for red carpets but this look is cute.

Honored Contributor

original.jpegAnother "natural beauty" doing it her way.  WITH GUSTO!