Honored Contributor

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/23/2014 cyndog said: I used to love Orbach's, the one on Fairfax? Were they a chain, I don't remember. Do you mean The May Co.? Shopped there as well and the beautiful Bullocks Wilshire. Used to walk to The Broadway on Hollywood Blvd. when my office was at Sunset and Vine. You always see The Broadway sign out of the hotel window where the Ricardos stayed when they were in Hollywood on I Love Lucy, love that.

Years ago I worked in Hollywood .... when it was pretty place to see. I also loved Bullocks Wilshire. Do you remember that long line of beautiful stores on Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills? Saks, Neiman Marcus, I. Magnin, Joseph Magnin, Gumps, etc etc.

Sigh .... those were the good old days.

Honored Contributor

On 2/23/2014 house cat said:
On 2/23/2014 shoekitty said:
On 2/23/2014 house cat said:
On 2/23/2014 cyndog said: I used to love Orbach's, the one on Fairfax? Were they a chain, I don't remember. Do you mean The May Co.? Shopped there as well and the beautiful Bullocks Wilshire. Used to walk to The Broadway on Hollywood Blvd. when my office was at Sunset and Vine. You always see The Broadway sign out of the hotel window where the Ricardos stayed when they were in Hollywood on I Love Lucy, love that.

Mays Dept. Store was not the same as The May Co. I don't think they existed here on the west coast.

House cat, as you know I live up North from you. When I am "down south" I have seen May Co. Or, where they removed the name on the side of the building. Was May co. just a Southern California thing? I seem to remember shopping in one down south many years ago, and it was like Macy's. Was May Co. like Macy's ? Is it like Robinson's? That is a SoCal comapny as well?

I've only lived on the west coast for the last 13 years, so I can't speak to the old days. I don't think The May Co. exists any longer, but I would think there was a connection between it and Robinson's May. There was a RM here, but they closed several years ago and Macy's took its place. I don't know if they are still in business. I really like RM. I'm sorry they're gone.

When my youngest daughter was getting married in 2000, we went to a Robinson May Co, near Culver City ? She lived in Culver and the store was near by. I had come down for the wedding, and we wanted to buy toasting glasses for them. Found them there.

Super Contributor

The May Co. was around since the 1930's, only in S. California I think. If I remember right Robinson's and The May Co. merged when both were having difficulties, maybe in the 80's? Yes, The May Co. was similar to Macy's. I believe the original May Co. building in downtown LA is now a museum. They sure were some beautiful buildings. There was the most incredible department store in Detroit called Hudson's, gone now like the rest of them.
Super Contributor

On 2/22/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Anyone remember May's and Orbach's?

I do! I shopped a lot at Orbachs.

My parents both worked at May Co. on Wilshire Blvd. when they were first married.

Honored Contributor

On 2/23/2014 stevieb said:

That must be why they're making such a big deal over the Muppets...

Go figure.

Are they doing a show all day with the muppets? What could they be selling? They are probably promoting the new Muppet Movie coming out, but what could they sell Muppet all day?

Must be a mutual back-scratching thing between the Q and Disney. Otherwise, I see no reason why a shopping channel would be promoting a Muppets movie, especially as incessantly as they are.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 2/24/2014 stevieb said:
On 2/23/2014 stevieb said:

That must be why they're making such a big deal over the Muppets...

Go figure.

Are they doing a show all day with the muppets? What could they be selling? They are probably promoting the new Muppet Movie coming out, but what could they sell Muppet all day?

Must be a mutual back-scratching thing between the Q and Disney. Otherwise, I see no reason why a shopping channel would be promoting a Muppets movie, especially as incessantly as they are.

I think it's QVC's clandestine way of sneaking commercials into a shopping channel. It's kind of nutty that a channel that is essentially all advertising to begin with, would add commercials to its programming.