Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 2,313
Registered: ‎08-23-2012

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/22/2014 Kathleen said:
On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 Kathleen said:

Just curious - for those of us who remember the days before computers and the internet and shopping channels - and the days before malls.

Did you only shop in one store? I grew up in Queens, NY ... lots of stores.

Me too! I shopped on Jamaica Avenue when I was a teen… also Rego Park/Elmhurst? If that wasn't enough choice, we'd go to Manhattan, but we didn't really have to go there to shop.

Remember Gertz?

Of course. A&S was my fave as a teen. I didn't care for Gimbels, though my mom loved it. Now I wish I had a Gimbels to shop in.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎11-13-2013

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/21/2014 voyager1980 said:

I agree w the posters that "mature " doesn't equal frumpy.Plenty of frumpy going around in all ages if you go to the mall or a big store like Walmart. Plenty of nicely dressed women of all ages too.I don't buy fashions from Q because their not fresh, not new,not tailored or well fitting or cute.

i shop ONLY at home goods and marshalls, but certainly have looked at walmart clothing line..have to disagree that they are frumpy..better take another look..my stylish daughter agrees!

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎11-13-2013

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

HSN has a more sophisticated line of clothing..and they do quite well..to my eyes the frumpy shoes on qvc are a big turnoff! but if it works for them......

Super Contributor
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 Kathleen said:
On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 Kathleen said:

Just curious - for those of us who remember the days before computers and the internet and shopping channels - and the days before malls.

Did you only shop in one store? I grew up in Queens, NY ... lots of stores.

Me too! I shopped on Jamaica Avenue when I was a teen… also Rego Park/Elmhurst? If that wasn't enough choice, we'd go to Manhattan, but we didn't really have to go there to shop.

Remember Gertz?

Of course. A&S was my fave as a teen. I didn't care for Gimbels, though my mom loved it. Now I wish I had a Gimbels to shop in.

Get out! I still shop in Rego Park. {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Remember Alexanders?

Super Contributor
Posts: 2,313
Registered: ‎08-23-2012

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/22/2014 puglet1 said:
On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 Kathleen said:
On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 Kathleen said:

Just curious - for those of us who remember the days before computers and the internet and shopping channels - and the days before malls.

Did you only shop in one store? I grew up in Queens, NY ... lots of stores.

Me too! I shopped on Jamaica Avenue when I was a teen… also Rego Park/Elmhurst? If that wasn't enough choice, we'd go to Manhattan, but we didn't really have to go there to shop.

Remember Gertz?

Of course. A&S was my fave as a teen. I didn't care for Gimbels, though my mom loved it. Now I wish I had a Gimbels to shop in.

Get out! I still shop in Rego Park. {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Remember Alexanders?

Are you kidding?! I used to do inventory there every year. You would sign in and count things for hours and hours and hours - then when you'd leave they'd pay you in cash! That was a yearly event for my friends and me.

My mom, who's 89, was arguing with me last week. She said she didn't need a new housedress.. the ones she bought at Alexanders 30 years ago were fine. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 puglet1 said:

Get out! I still shop in Rego Park. {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Remember Alexanders?

Are you kidding?! I used to do inventory there every year. You would sign in and count things for hours and hours and hours - then when you'd leave they'd pay you in cash! That was a yearly event for my friends and me.

My mom, who's 89, was arguing with me last week. She said she didn't need a new housedress.. the ones she bought at Alexanders 30 years ago were fine. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

lol.

You had to sift through a lot of stuff there, but when you found something, it was like the buy of the century!

Super Contributor
Posts: 2,313
Registered: ‎08-23-2012

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/22/2014 puglet1 said:
On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 puglet1 said:

Get out! I still shop in Rego Park. {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Remember Alexanders?

Are you kidding?! I used to do inventory there every year. You would sign in and count things for hours and hours and hours - then when you'd leave they'd pay you in cash! That was a yearly event for my friends and me.

My mom, who's 89, was arguing with me last week. She said she didn't need a new housedress.. the ones she bought at Alexanders 30 years ago were fine. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

lol.

You had to sift through a lot of stuff there, but when you found something, it was like the buy of the century!

I remember my dad and my uncle buying a whole bunch of $20 suits at Alexanders.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 908
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

WOW. Lots of interest and opinions on this topic. I fall into the older lady catagory, so I will chime in. Like some others mentioned....I HATE shopping in stores for clothes. Would rather go to a garden center or antique mall to shop. Over the years I have purchased some rather nice outfits and clothing items from the "Q". But lately the prices seem high for what they are offering and the styles seem to have changed. Either my taste have changed or I have no need for more clothes. Not working anymore and needing so many clothes,I have lost interest in their clothes ( or anyone's). A closet full that I don't even wear anymore. ( will donate most soon). Now I go for comfort (not sloppy) all the time. Even if I was in the market for more clothes, I still would not go shopping much in stores. Just not my thing and never was. I don't like to read young against old in these topics. Us women are all in this together. And yes, you will grow old if you are lucky. Never thought it would happen to ME, but it did.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor
Posts: 3,125
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 Kathleen said:
On 2/22/2014 house cat said:
On 2/22/2014 Kathleen said:

Just curious - for those of us who remember the days before computers and the internet and shopping channels - and the days before malls.

Did you only shop in one store? I grew up in Queens, NY ... lots of stores.

Me too! I shopped on Jamaica Avenue when I was a teen… also Rego Park/Elmhurst? If that wasn't enough choice, we'd go to Manhattan, but we didn't really have to go there to shop.

Remember Gertz?

Of course. A&S was my fave as a teen. I didn't care for Gimbels, though my mom loved it. Now I wish I had a Gimbels to shop in.

I don't think I ever went to A&S - weren't they in downtown Brooklyn? If we went to Brooklyn - it was just for Fortunoff's.

Macy's and Gertz were the department stores. If we came into Manhattan, it was Macy's. My father worked at Macy's Herald Square (Fine China) before he married my mother ... so we were Macy's fans. After Gimbel's went out of business and Stern's moved into their space - I think I might have gone in their once. As I said - I grew up as a Macy's shopper.

Now - I can walk to Herald Square!

Valued Contributor
Posts: 561
Registered: ‎11-20-2013

Re: Newsflash! ""Mature"" women are QVC's main demographic.

On 2/21/2014 house cat said:
On 2/21/2014 momcat said:

You hit the nail on the head, house cat. And, I'll go a step further and say that's the demographic posting in this forum too. I laugh at the women who either say they don't watch QVC or never buy anything. Yeah, right.

The women posting here wouldn't be caught dead wearing QVC clothing and they lead such busy, fulfilling lives that they don't have time to watch QVC.. that's why they spend so much time on a QVC forum.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

{#emotions_dlg.lol}....