Honored Contributor

I haven't bought much for spring or summer in years.I don't even know how to begin.I have always shopped for a piece here and there and then stuck it all in my closet.I spend a lot of time staring at this stuff that makes no sense before I finally figure out what to wear.

I am 62 years old and fit.I am 5'8" and 130 pounds.Can someone suggest a few pieces that can be mixed and matched for my sporty casual lifestyle.I think it would be so nice to have a closet that most things went together without a fight. 

Super Contributor

J Jill. The clothes are loved ny my mom and sisters.

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

I'm no fashionista but I do have a simple formula for clothes buying. Keep all bottoms neutral then you can wear what you like on the top is my first rule. I have skirts and pants in black, grey, navy and khacki and white. I feel these neutrals can cover ALL top colors I may come up with. Of course , depending on your lifestyle, denim is the best neutral of all for casual wear.

Not to say that I don't also have some very specific other colored skirts etc , esp ones that are part of a set. But I always keep my supply of basic neutrals that I can go back to. When one gets old and worn out I immediately replace it, so the basics are always available.

Frequent Contributor

I'd start w/essentials. Like some plain colored tops. Try to match them w/what you have already. (like a plain shirt w/maybe a couple of your sweaters or whatever. That way you still get the wear out of what you got while bringing in spring,summer) Or buy a couple of printed scarves & some plain shirts to match. 1 scarf can give you many different looks w/multi colored shirts.

Respected Contributor
Agree with basic bottoms but then different pants call for different shoes. I particularly have problem with ankle pants or slim pants. I hate looking like pants too short.
Frequent Contributor

@dex wrote:

I haven't bought much for spring or summer in years.I don't even know how to begin.I have always shopped for a piece here and there and then stuck it all in my closet.I spend a lot of time staring at this stuff that makes no sense before I finally figure out what to wear.

I am 62 years old and fit.I am 5'8" and 130 pounds.Can someone suggest a few pieces that can be mixed and matched for my sporty casual lifestyle.I think it would be so nice to have a closet that most things went together without a fight. 

@dex

My Grandmother is a few years older than you.  I love her style.  She use to wear a lot of suits when she was working.  She now incorporates them into her everyday style.  She'll put a gorgeous printed tank/tee under the jacket and wear it with jeans or casual slacks.  If the jacket is a print, she pairs it with something solid.  Sometimes she pushes up the sleeves of the jacket if she's wearing a longer sleeved top under and let it show.  She still has some of a little above the knee shift dresses and has had them shortened to wear as tunics.  My Grandmother has also incorporated some really cute boots, ankle boots and booties for Fall - Spring.  I think adding the jeans with the jackets and a colorful print makes it a little more casual.   In the Summer, she wears a lot of sundresses with or without jackets or crocheted littled cardigans.  She will also do cropped pants with jackets and tees too.  I find her style very classic yet updated.  She still looks sophisticated yet approchable.  I don't think she's dressing inappropriately.  I think she looks very age appropriate.  

I think you need to take a couple of hours and just play in your closet.  Mix and match things and see what you like.  Pick up a few new pieces if you need them or grab something you find that you can't live without.  I've found that almost every year I pick up new items and then put them in the closet and forget about them.  This year, I've gone through the closet and cleaned it out.  Things that have never been worn were either donated or tried on again and paired with things I really love.  If it worked, they stayed and I put them together in the closet so I can easily put together outfits when I feel like I don't have time to sit and try to assemble an outfit.

I will also say that I think that so many people are just strickly going for the jogger pants and Logo style of loose fitting clothes.  It's okay occasionally but personally, I think it's just sloppy...especially if done on a daily basis.  It seems like you're not really taking time and effort into your look. 

I LIVE MY LIFE. I don't dwell on the criticisms of those who don't understand me.
Esteemed Contributor

I will have to buy all new clothing for summer because I lost 60 lbs. I will buy basic colors for my slacks (white,black,navy and khaki) and do color tops. I am retired so I wear casual clothing.  I think jewelry makes a difference.  Also, you can buy colored shoes that will add to your look.  I hang all my pants, tops and jackets separately so I know what I have. It makes it easier to mix and match. Sometimes looking through magazines help with your decision. I think by trying on clothing, you will have a good idea what looks good on your body type. This will help with making the proper choice.

Honored Contributor

@dex

What types of colors/patterns do you like best?

Honored Contributor

Re: New spring clothing

[ Edited ]

@lolakimonoI like patterns that aren't too large and I don't like brights such as neons when it comes to color.I like most colors but seem to look best in more muted shades.thanks I know you have great taste.

Honored Contributor

@dex

I just perused Talbots and found some items similar to items that I would pick for mixing/matching.  I'm not sure how many pieces you were looking to add, or how much you had to work with.

For spring/summer, I would start with a colorful accessory, like a scarf, necklace, or bag that contains all the colors you are drawn to.  Then I would pull out colors from there.  I'm not sure what climate you live in, but I get a lot of use out of scarves year round.  They can be used as a wrap with a tank top when you go into A/C.

I would also find some sort of jacket/sweater/sweatshirt for the days when it's not warm enough to go sleeveless.

A denim shirt works as a jacket as well.

I wear a lot of tanks- sometimes by themselves, or with cardigans, blazers, denim jackets, or hoodies.  I like basic ones and ones with a little flair.

I liked the detail on this top.

This is one that I would wear alone, because of the sleeves.

You didn't say if you liked skirts/shorts, so I just picked pants.  These are pinstripe, although they read "neutral."

I would also do an ankle pant or crop in a fun color, like these-

I also like white jeans for spring/summer.

Then I would do a fun printed ballet flat or a sandal, like these in denim.