Super Contributor

I just received the Halston leather jacket. I normally go for faux but was drawn to this one. I really like it but it does have that "new leather" smell. Approximately how long will that last? Is there anything I can do to speed the process up? I know most probably prefer the smell of leather but for me, I am too sensitive to odors for that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

I would just hang it alone and let it air out.  If you can hang it outside or near a fan where the air is moving, better yet.  You might need to spray a freshner around it, not on it or let it get on it.  Worth a try!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I love that smell.

Honored Contributor

I like that smell.  To me, it smells fresh.  I have coats that are several years old that, when taken out first time in winter, have that same smell for a while  Then I get in the cold air outside and it dissipates but in the warm house over summer it sort of "steams" up again.

Honored Contributor

I love that new leather smell.  It's heavenly.  I always want it to last forever....lol  However, if you hang your jacket up infront of an open window or on your deck; that might air it out. 

Honored Contributor

If you really want to change the scent, you can put the leather jacket in a plastic bag with everything unbuttoned and unzipped and put a gel odor absorber next to it in the bag (not touching), blow air into the plastic bag and seal the top.  Just remember that the scent of the gel absorber will transfer to the item so you must like the scent.  Most of them are a light citrus type scent.  These gel absorbers are effective and I've used them to get cigarette smell out of handbags (I don't smoke but will sometimes buy used), mildew scents out of antique trunks, etc.  You can buy them pretty much everywhere, in the air freshener isle of the supermarket, the pet isle of WalMart, even Ace Hardware....

Good luck... Woman Happy 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

That's how you know it's real LOL If it stinks it's good ! counterfeit 'stuff'' and shabby goods smell good. All depends on what you like.

I don't do 'faux'.

Respected Contributor

For me, that is one of the best smells on the world!!!!!! 

I worked in the apparel industry for many years and several for a luxury leather manufacturer. Working with leather everyday was so wonderful; I just loved the smell, touching it and learning so much. For me, it's heavenly!!! 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

For me, that is one of the best smells on the world!!!!!! 

I worked in the apparel industry for many years and several for a luxury leather manufacturer. Working with leather everyday was so wonderful; I just loved the smell, touching it and learning so much. For me, it's heavenly!!! 

I couldn't agree with you more NycVixen!! I love the smell of leather.

Honored Contributor

What was the name of that Woody Allen movie where he had that young girl say real stone faced "I'm into leather"?   cracked me up.