Honored Contributor

I do believe (I read/heard somewhere) that some manufacturers in some countries (allegedly) use strong petroleum-based dyes.  Could be that they use rubber/tire based dyes, too, by the way that some items smell.   Some of those recycled (and other) front door mats have such a strong smell because of recycled tires, etc.  My guess is that unless you air the item out for a couple of months, you will still have that odor, no matter what.  Lots of good luck.  p.s.  I often have to air out clothing in my basement in a downstairs area, near a window.  For months.  I wouldn't place them in the sun, though.  Seems to me that the odor becomes worse in the sunshine, on hot days.  Just my observation.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

OILY Smell on foreign made sweaters come from the wool which was not cleaned before being made into sweaters.  No amount of cleaning will get rid of the smell.  ( I worked in a textile chemical lab during college summers and worked on extracting oils from South American wool samples ).

I can remember stopping at a Delaware outlet and saw gorgeous sweaters there BUT they all smelled oily.  No wonder they were discounted---even if they were free I would not have gotten one !!!!!

If it smells, leave it....may be someone will get the message if the sales disappear.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@IG

I will try the charcoal method. Thank you for the suggestion.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought two pair of Denim pants a year ago that smelled just awful. I kept them and thought a good washing and it will be gone. WRONG! They still have a feint smell today. Some sort of repellent from China....

Honored Contributor

Re: New clothes that smell

[ Edited ]

I like the pet store charcoal method mentioned here!   Also, I have a couple of plastic bowls of regular charcoal briquettes in the corners of my closet.  I put tulle/netting over the containers, so the clothing won't fall into the charcoal and have black spots of charcoal on them.  Mainly to prevent moisture/mildew buildup in closets. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

If the smell won't come out, it's time to give the clothing item away. Especially if it smells like petroleum. Be honest with your friend and let her know that the item smelled bad. She may not have known or realized it if she bought it online.

Respected Contributor

It's also formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals, some to prevent mold and 

reduce wrinkling.

Esteemed Contributor

So someone gave you a blouse that smells and you feel compelled to get the smell out because you think she wants to see you wear it? Maybe it's my advanced age, but phooey on that! I'm not going to buy charcoal or keep washing it in different concoctions to make it smell it better! Why go to all those lengths to try to please someone for a bad purchase they made? Just tell her it's a lovely blouse and you've worn it, and let it go at that.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY

Thank you for the suggestion for using charcoal in closets also.  Great idea!

Respected Contributor

Re: New clothes that smell

[ Edited ]

If it smells bad when you buy or get it, then you wash it and it still smells bad:  WHY in the world would you give it away or donate the item-------it will STILL smell bad. 

Either return it to seller or trash it.  Don't spread the pain.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill