Valued Contributor

I'm still at when someone is asked a question, they answer by saying; "I mean" and than gives the answer.

What's with that?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Trendy Language  - Gold Girls Heart

Chloe Kim Heart rock on USA Heart

chloe-kim-snowboarding.jpg

Congratulations California Girl, Chloe Kim! 17 years young Heart She threw it down - Olympic Gold!!! Trendy Language

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Is your last name Sparticus?

Esteemed Contributor

Image result for troll train gif

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Valued Contributor

I think this is much ado about nothing. As a lifelong English-speaking American, I just said, "I dribbled peanut butter on my cotton shirt," and my only real 'hard' t sound was at the end of shirt. Gutter, putter, peanut butter..Utter a sound...the cow's udder...Does anyone really pronounce it like, "buh-TTer" or "BUTTer?" I do not. 

Esteemed Contributor
@proudlyfromNJ
Got that!
And come to think of it, he had a "trendy" way of pronouncing words too!
Trusted Contributor

It is regional but I'm not sure which region.  I hear it fairly often on different TV shows.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New a Trendy Language

[ Edited ]

@agador@kze  - I believe it is an English dialect along the NE coast. (We do have many dialects across the USA, you know.) Seems like a rude question to ask.

And, yes, another QVC host was born with a speech impediment. She has worked digilently with therapists to correct it, but when tired it does show up. Give her a break. She's a gem!

Hopefully, you'll rethink before beginning such an ugly thread.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

If I ever heard anyone pronouncing words like button and cotton and butter with a strong t sound, it would sound odd.  I can't remember ever hearing the full t sound with these words from anyone except from my grandmother who was from Italy and overpronounced many things.  It just seems like it would sound forced and not natural talking.   

Esteemed Contributor

I work at a college and notice many young women (guys don't do this) skim over the double 't' when  speaking. Not an impediment, nor regional accent - just a trendy way for younger women to speak and it will fade away. Remember valley girl speak where they would say 'like' all the time? You seldom hear that now. Daughter works in education with high school girls and has also noticed this. If you don't hear it often, you would wonder. I'm not going to assume poster is being mean. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau