Honored Contributor

I've noticed lately, both in catalogs and on television, that men's suits are cut smaller. The jackets are short and tight, with narrow sleeves. The pants are also narrow. The clothing looks like it's a size too small-- as if it's been outgrown. If this is the new style for men, l don't care for it. Your thoughts?

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

Yes, It started a little while back..don't know exactly when but I first noticed it at a wedding a couple years ago!  When I saw the first groomsmen I thought "his suit is too small for him".   When I mentioned it to my son he said it is the latest in high fashion for men!!   I imagine the younger men who are on the slim side probably like it but I don't think it is flattering for all sized men!!  My DH just purchased a couple suits and his are the standard fit!!  Of course he is a mature man who is 6'1" and a little chunky!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

Yes, It started a little while back..don't know exactly when but I first noticed it at a wedding a couple years ago!  When I saw the first groomsmen I thought "his suit is too small for him".   When I mentioned it to my son he said it is the latest in high fashion for men!!   I imagine the younger men who are on the slim side probably like it but I don't think it is flattering for all sized men!!  My DH just purchased a couple suits and his are the standard fit!!  Of course he is a mature man who is 6'1" and a little chunky!!Woman Wink

I agree. DH won't be changing his wardrobe any time soon! The J. Crew catalog is a prime example of this new style. I don't think the male models look good at all.

Respected Contributor

This is a throwback to the early 60s.  Watch old ****** Van ****** shows, or Mad Men. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

This is a throwback to the early 60s.  Watch old ****** Van ****** shows, or Mad Men. 

I was thinking that too. It takes a lot of getting-used-to. I don't think the look will catch on, except for the younger, thinner crowd. JMHO.

Respected Contributor

Hideous back in the day and just as bad now.

the pegged pants---aaaak, Remember the oversized cuffs on the shirts and the too short sleeves on the jackets and the skinny ties.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, now American men can suffer the same indignities that Amerucan women have suffered, i.e., styles made for skinny youngsters. I helped my husband go through his closet after he retired. He gave away lots of jackets and suits that he wore to work. He's at his Weight Watchers goal weight but he will NOT be purchasing skinny suits. He kept the high quality traditional suits that he invested in years ago. They still look good.

Trusted Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

I've noticed lately, both in catalogs and on television, that men's suits are cut smaller. The jackets are short and tight, with narrow sleeves. The pants are also narrow. The clothing looks like it's a size too small-- as if it's been outgrown. If this is the new style for men, l don't care for it. Your thoughts?

I agree.  So many of these news reporters and readers look like the suit fit 20 pounds and 2" ago

Honored Contributor

They're gearing up for SPANX FOR MEN

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

They do the same thing with womens clothing. Most people I see on TV look like they are wearing clothes that are too small. IMO it looks stupid. Looks like people are wearing their kids clothes. The so called fitted clothing they make today is to save buck. It's all about money/greed. They make clothing smaller today just like you get less in a box cake mix, or smaller rolls of toilet paper or paper towels etc. etc.