Honored Contributor

Re: New Ralph Lauren Tie Dye Items

Yuck! Looks like when I used to tie dye in my basement!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have worn Ralph Lauren's clothing since the 70's and frankly, I do not think he is designing much of anything anymore. I think he has a design team that is turning out clothing not the least bit reminiscent of his "vision." I met the man years ago and his muse was always his wife whom was always impeccably dressed. I highly doubt she would wear any of this.

One word for all of it......Atrocious...

Respected Contributor

Tie Dye was popular when I was a teenager. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

When I think of Ralph Lauren, I think of classic, timeless pieces. Not this hot mess!

What was he thinking?!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a multi color tie dye cami and a sky blue and white tie dye t.

That's enough for me, I think

Honored Contributor

What can be more American than tye-dye?  No, I won't buy it.

Esteemed Contributor

True tie dye had more of a muted look, with colors fading into each other in a more subtle way.  These RL things look so manufactured, exactly the opposite of what tie dying was about.  I was a teen in the 60s and definitely did my share of tie dying.  Not a fan of this RL knock-off.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

True tie dye had more of a muted look, with colors fading into each other in a more subtle way.  These RL things look so manufactured, exactly the opposite of what tie dying was about.  I was a teen in the 60s and definitely did my share of tie dying.  Not a fan of this RL knock-off.

There are tons of ways to tie dye, some of them quite complicated and beautiful. It's all in how you "tie" and apply the "dye." If you google "tie dye patterns" there are lots of examples, including many with swirls, etc. It's really an artform.

FT11PIQHYSISJZ5.LARGE.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I have worn Ralph Lauren's clothing since the 70's and frankly, I do not think he is designing much of anything anymore. I think he has a design team that is turning out clothing not the least bit reminiscent of his "vision." I met the man years ago and his muse was always his wife whom was always impeccably dressed. I highly doubt she would wear any of this.

One word for all of it......Atrocious...

There are several RL collections. This tie dye is under the Polo umbrella (sportier and maybe a bit younger?). I think many think of Ralph Lauren Collection or Lauren Ralph Lauren when they think of RL "classics," but there really is a lot of variety if you look at everything offered (including the collaborations). So, perhaps his wife wouldn't wear the tie dye, but that doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the RL brand spectrum.

Honored Contributor

Just awful! Confirms my thoughts re male designers
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm...  actually, I'd wear that polo shirt with capris or shorts.  It's fun.   

Don't like the sweatpants, jeans, or socks.   Lots of designers bring back old styles.  Guess they can't think of anything new, so resurrect old ideas.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt