Esteemed Contributor

New Look: lopped off 4+ inches of hair! Have you ever just gone for it?

[ Edited ]

I've had long, long hair forever. Yesterday I decided that I looked like an aging Kardashian sister and while having my hair colored, had it cut. I mean cut. It's now just below the collarbones, very sophisticated and I think it took 10 years off my face.

I'll likely just let it grow back but for now, I'm so happy I took a chance and made a change. The way I figure it's not like I had plastic surgery; its' just hair.

When's the last time you threw caution to the wind and went for a new look?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Regular Contributor

Re: New Look: lopped off 4+ inches of hair! Have you ever just gone for it?

I cut my long hair off when I was 30, I felt it was time to get rid of all that hair.  It's still below my shoulders and it's been that way now for 19 years.  So, it's been a long time since a major hair change.

Honored Contributor

I went from hair past my waist to completely shaved off with clippers once. It wasn't by choice though. Chemo finally made it so thin it looked terrrible so I shaved it all off. And I grew it back as soon as I could. I've never looked back. My hair is hip length. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Beautfiul long hair is a wonderful thing.  However, I have seen ladies way over 60 trying to look young and wear long hair, parted in the middle, just hanging there, sometimes dyed very black or bleached very blond and it doesn't make them look younger at all.  On the other hand, I have seen ladies over 60 with beautiful hair and pulled up in a wonderful style and can pull it off beautifully.   I guess my point is, beautfiul hair is beautiful hair.  

I wear my hair really short and it started out when I was about 45 and I had decided I didn't want to mess with my long hair anymore.  I had it cut super short and had it colored a beautiful blond and to this day, I am now about 60, and this style just never goes out of style!!

Esteemed Contributor

I applaud you, GardeslaSmiley Very Happy  Been thinking of goin real, super-short myself, but haven't worked up the courage yet.  Think you jus gave me a much-needed push!  Thank you.....

Honored Contributor

I've also had long hair for many years, and l've become comfortable with it as my signature look. I'm afraid of change, lol. Gardens, l admire you for doing it!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

In March! I've had really long hair for about 15 years. I could do a lot of looks with it, chignon, low/high ponytail, off to one side. My hair is straight and I've always had bangs.

For the last few years I've worn it up more than down. It was hot and heavy. I just couldn't take another hot summer with it, so I asked my stylist s pic of Lisa Rinna, since I wanted that cut and she laughed. Can you imagine? She told me it was impossible for her to do and that all these pictures people bring her are all photoshopped and never look that way on real people.

She told me she would cut to shoulder length, I let her, it was hideous. Two days later I called and told her I needed to come in ASAP, I wanted a choppy look and this was just a shorter version of what I had. Mind, I've never complained in 15 years but in hindsight she never gave me a style, she just trimmed it up.

Well, she chopped away and it was worse than ever. I asked a friend at church who cuts her hair since she had long hair and had it cut short last year. I made an appt, showed him the pic, and ta dah, I have the LR cut. Like you, gardensla, it took ten years off me and I've gotten so many compliments from friends and strangers! I've had it highlighted for years and he told me I was really over processed and even though he took about 7 inches off, there was still plenty left. I haven't had it highlighted since January, I'm a brunette and it looks terrific with this new style. He told me that if I wanted HL he would just do a little around the face and top. I'm 67 and don't have but three gray hairs!

So, that's my story, and I've never been happier with a cut.. So easy to do in the mornings, I feel free!!! I'm glad you love your new look, too!! Be well.

Honored Contributor

I've been wanting to make a change for years.  My hair was shoulder length.  Due to chemo, it's gone.  When it grows back in, I'm keeping it really short.  I think I was stuck in the past and desperately needed a major change.  I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Valued Contributor

Yep - just last week, had my shoulder-length hair cut very short - not quite a pixie, but not much longer, with layers.

I'm still getting the hang of styling it, but I'm really glad I did it!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Respected Contributor

Yes. I went really short almost pixie.  I can not wear a true pixie due to my hair being very thick, wavy/curly course texture.

I kept it short for several years, then grew tired of it so I went to just above shoulder length.