Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Linea Leisure Cardigan

On 1/24/2015 KathyPet said: If you don't want to purchase clothing of any brand that has a logo on it then that is your choice and right. Too bad that you have to get a lecture from on high about the history of Logo's in fashion like you were somehow ignorant of that fact. Who cares if Chanel, Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton etc use them? If you don't like them then you don't like them.
A Linea logo isn't in the same realm as Chanel and Louis Vuitton, so it's not like comparing apples to apples. Seems like this topic has been passionately debated here in the past with similar results.
Honored Contributor

Pretty! I especially like the Malibu Blue.

Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 GraceCO said:
On 1/24/2015 Goldie76 said:
On 1/23/2015 GraceCO said:

I also think the Linea logo is very subtle and the logo mark reminds me of Tory Burch just a tad, a logo I actually like. I don't like logos plastered all over an item. How Louis has done it is very much like the high end, classic European brands like Longchamp & Celine.

Speaking of Celine...did anyone see who one of their "Celine girls" is this year? 80 year-old author, Joan Didion! I've always loved the brand, but now I adore them for getting it so right in this choice. Joan Didion and Celine are a perfect match. Woohoo for women of a certain age!!!

Must admit ignorance of the brand but not of Joan Didion, whose work I have loved and respected. I trust your judgment, and if you say they are an exquisite pair-up, I just know they are. Going to check out Celine now.

Image result for celine and joan didion Added the Didion/Celine campaign photo. ETA: Guess what I spotted within the first four seconds of flipping through my new issue of Vogue, which arrived an hour ago?

A Celine ad. Now I'll be seeing nothing but, I suppose.

Goldie, I read somewhere that Celine's brand is targeted to intellectual/cool/independent women so kudos to them for picking a legendary American author who embodies the brand AND is 80 years young. I'm also an admirer & fan of Joan Didion's work...She's nonplussed by it all. She just did an interview with the NY Times about this ad campaign & was asked if she realized what a sensation she caused, to which she replied, "I don't have any clue."

I just love seeing "women of a certain age" in these campaigns. It's empowering for all women. Helen Mirren is a spokeswoman for L'Oreal and Joni Mitchell (now 71) is with YSL. Didn't Diane Keaton also do L'Oreal ads? I know there are others--someone older is doing the NARS campaign...It's a good trendSmiley Happy

Grace, thank you so much for the additional insight into the Celine clientele. Is Ms. Didion too cool or what with that response? As a spunky mature woman, I love seeing older women in ads.

Valued Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Goldie76 said:

I also think the Linea logo is very subtle and the logo mark reminds me of Tory Burch just a tad, a logo I actually like. I don't like logos plastered all over an item. How Louis has done it is very much like the high end, classic European brands like Longchamp & Celine.

Speaking of Celine...did anyone see who one of their "Celine girls" is this year? 80 year-old author, Joan Didion! I've always loved the brand, but now I adore them for getting it so right in this choice. Joan Didion and Celine are a perfect match. Woohoo for women of a certain age!!!

Must admit ignorance of the brand but not of Joan Didion, whose work I have loved and respected. I trust your judgment, and if you say they are an exquisite pair-up, I just know they are. Going to check out Celine now.

Image result for celine and joan didion Added the Didion/Celine campaign photo. ETA: Guess what I spotted within the first four seconds of flipping through my new issue of Vogue, which arrived an hour ago?

Goldie, I read somewhere that Celine's brand is targeted to intellectual/cool/independent women so kudos to them for picking a legendary American author who embodies the brand AND is 80 years young. I'm also an admirer & fan of Joan Didion's work...She's nonplussed by it all. She just did an interview with the NY Times about this ad campaign & was asked if she realized what a sensation she caused, to which she replied, "I don't have any clue."

I just love seeing "women of a certain age" in these campaigns. It's empowering for all women. Helen Mirren is a spokeswoman for L'Oreal and Joni Mitchell (now 71) is with YSL. Didn't Diane Keaton also do L'Oreal ads? I know there are others--someone older is doing the NARS campaign...It's a good trendSmiley Happy

Grace, thank you so much for the additional insight into the Celine clientele. Is Ms. Didion too cool or what with that response? As a spunky mature woman, I love seeing older women in ads.

Goldie, if you haven't yet seen the documentary "Advanced Style", I can't recommend it too highly.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 WNYgal said:

Goldie, if you haven't yet seen the documentary "Advanced Style", I can't recommend it too highly.

No I haven't, WNYgal. Thank you very much for the suggestion

Valued Contributor

On 1/25/2015 WNYgal said:

No I haven't, WNYgal. Thank you very much for the suggestion

I forgot to mention that it's streamed on Netflix.

Respected Contributor

I don't know about the "spunky" part, but I'm right there with you on the mature side. I love seeing older women in ads and clearly the advertisers are seeing the financial rewards of featuring them. Win/win all aroundSmiley Happy

I've seen the documentary WNYGal mentioned and it IS great. Fun and inspiring. I also have the book of the same name (available on Amazon) and there's also a blog.

Here's the back story from the book's description...

Ari Seth Cohen started his blog inspired by his own grandmother's unique personal style and his lifelong interest in the put-together fashion of vibrant seniors. Each of his subjects sparkles like a diamond after long years spent refining and perfecting their individual look and approach to life. The Advanced Style book will showcase, in luscious full-color, the best of the blog, but will also act as a true guidebook with all-new material featuring wardrobes, interviews, stories, and advice from a cadre of his most chic subjects, along with a large selection of never-before-seen photography-fresh off of sidewalk catwalks around the world!