Respected Contributor

New Book About The Queen's Wardrobe

Angela Kelly, Queen Elizabeth's Trusted Designer, Has Written a Book

The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe comes out this October.

angela kelly queen

The Queen and her dresser Angela Kelly.

Very few people know what life is really like inside Buckingham Palace, but a new book titled The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe, will offer readers a window into that world.

Queen Elizabeth has granted personal permission to Angela Kelly, who has served as her dresser and confidant for 25 years, to write a book not only about royal fashion, but also about their experience working together. Per Harper Collins, which will publish the book next month, this marks the first time a serving member of the royal household has been given such permission.

"The books documents the unique working relationship between Her Majesty The Queen and the woman who has been her Personal Assistant and Senior Dresser for more than two decades: Angela Kelly," says Samantha Cohen, former assistant private secretary to the Queen.

"It gives a rare insight into the demands of the job of supporting the Monarch, and we gain privileged insight into a successful working relationship, characterized by humor, creativity, hard work, and a mutual commitment to service and duty. Angela is a talented and inspiring woman, who has captured the highlights of her long career with The Queen for us all to share."

Previously Kelly has discussed her relationship with the Queen, but only in the vaguest of terms. "I don't know why the Queen seems fond of me - because I don't give her an easy time! I do think she values my opinion, but she is the one who is in control. She always makes the final decision," she told the Telegraph in 2007.

"We are two typical women. We discuss clothes, make-up, jewellery. We say, 'Would this piece of jewellery look nice with that outfit?', and things like that."

But her new book will feature never-before-seen photographs, as well as "charming anecdotes" about the Queen, making it a must-have for anyone interested in the British monarch, or the fashions she wears.

"We are extremely proud to be Angela Kelly’s publishers for this beautiful book; this project has been a labour of love for a whole team of people at HarperCollins. Angela is a remarkable woman, and what I find particularly fascinating about her working partnership with The Queen – something that has been revealed to me over this process – is just how many elements Angela must take into account when she designs for Her Majesty," says HarperNonFiction Editorial Director Katya Shipster.

"The work undertaken by Angela and her team is to ensure that anyone in the same room as The Queen will be awestruck, and the way they deliver this reaction is incredibly detailed and clever. The book, and its many gorgeous photographs, sheds light on all of this, as well as the history of Angela’s role, but more importantly and interestingly on the extraordinary working relationship between Her Majesty and one of her most trusted employees, giving us a personal glimpse of the other side of that famous image on every British coin."

The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe comes out October 29. The audiobook, which will be read by Kelly, will be released on the same day.

Respected Contributor

Re: New Book About The Queen's Wardrobe

Thinking book may become a best seller as the Queen does have a great sense of style. I would be interested in how her wardrobe is developed. Thanks for sharing!!!

Honored Contributor

I think this sounds like such an interesting book, I would enjoy it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I cannot wait to get this book!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @lmt, I am looking forward to reading this book.

Honored Contributor

I went over to Amazon to add the book to my wish list and noticed that Angela Kelly had written another book that came out a few years ago on the same topic.  I wonder what the difference will be between the two of them?

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I went over to Amazon to add the book to my wish list and noticed that Angela Kelly had written another book that came out a few years ago on the same topic.  I wonder what the difference will be between the two of them?

@haddon9  I read the description of the first book on Amazon and it sounds like the book focused on the Queen's wardrobe during the 2012 Diamond Jubilee.

Dressing the Queen reveals the careful planning and preparation that went into the Queen’s wardrobe for the Diamond Jubilee, the first such celebration since that of Queen Victoria in 1897 and made all the more momentous by London’s hosting of the 2012 Olympics. The secret to the Queen’s unfailing style is royal couturier Angela Kelly, whose team of dressmakers and milliners spent two years designing and bringing to fruition the creations seen in the events leading up to and during the Diamond Jubilee, as well as at the Olympics. In addition to presenting the right image, the Queen’s clothing must address a great many practical concerns—and all of her garments must be pristinely maintained. Of course, no outfit is complete without the perfect hat, and a chapter of the book is devoted entirely to their intricate and highly detailed creation.

Whether the day holds a historic state visit or an afternoon at Royal Ascot, the Queen commands attention wherever she appears. If you’ve ever wondered how she maintains such impeccable personal style, this well-illustrated book will answer that question and many more.

Honored Contributor

@lmt wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9  I read the description of the first book on Amazon and it sounds like the book focused on the Queen's wardrobe during the 2012 Diamond Jubilee.

Dressing the Queen reveals the careful planning and preparation that went into the Queen’s wardrobe for the Diamond Jubilee, the first such celebration since that of Queen Victoria in 1897 and made all the more momentous by London’s hosting of the 2012 Olympics. The secret to the Queen’s unfailing style is royal couturier Angela Kelly, whose team of dressmakers and milliners spent two years designing and bringing to fruition the creations seen in the events leading up to and during the Diamond Jubilee, as well as at the Olympics. In addition to presenting the right image, the Queen’s clothing must address a great many practical concerns—and all of her garments must be pristinely maintained. Of course, no outfit is complete without the perfect hat, and a chapter of the book is devoted entirely to their intricate and highly detailed creation.

Whether the day holds a historic state visit or an afternoon at Royal Ascot, the Queen commands attention wherever she appears. If you’ve ever wondered how she maintains such impeccable personal style, this well-illustrated book will answer that question and many more.

@lmt   Yes that appears to be the difference!  ...It's still too early for me to think clearlySmiley Happy

I am thinking of getting the new book as a Christmas gift for a friend who I think would enjoy it ....we're going to see Downton Abbey (my second time) this evening.... and I'll have to take a peek through this new book.

Respected Contributor

I am thinking of getting the new book as a Christmas gift for a friend who I think would enjoy it ....we're going to see Downton Abbey (my second time) this evening.... and I'll have to take a peek through this new book.

@haddon9  The new book isn't being released until October 29. I'll be going to Barnes & Noble to take a peek when it does come out

The first book only has 144 pages. The new book has 304!!

Respected Contributor

i would love to look at this book (not own it, because i am decluttering all the books i already have!) and i wonder if i will be able to get it through the library?