Honored Contributor

Re: Never Worn Clothing?

[ Edited ]

@KaySD wrote:

Nope, but quite a few things that I've only worn a few times. I guess because I didn't quite like them in some way, or something changed--my size, my life, my prefs. And it goes against the grain to give away perfectly good things, doesn't it? Working on that!

@KaySD 

I have sold & donated nice things that I never wore, or seldom wore. As you said, sometimes I change my mind about them, or they no longer fit my lifestyle or preferences. I'm pretty ruthless about purging things I don't wear. If I only wear an item once a year, but I still like it, or if it might serve a purpose in the future I'm keeping it. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Yes, I have quite a few things.  I might buy something with a specific occasion or place in mind and then it might not happen.  Or I see something which I really like and think --- I should buy it -- just in case.  Or I buy something without trying on and once I do try on, it's a very pretty item but I do nothing for it and then it's too late to return it.  And then it hangs.....  Ultimately, these things are donated. 

@AngelPuppy1 

I totally understand the "just in case" items. I've purchased and kept items for this reason. 🥴

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

Surprisingly I don’t have anything in my closet that I haven’t worn.  I recently downsized (from having 8 closets to 2) so I kept my clothing to a minimum.

@cotton4me 

Good for you! 👍

I used to have 3 of those portable assemble yourself closets on wheels in my basement, in addition to my bedroom closet. Way more clothes than I ever needed. Everything I own now is in one closet and 2 dressers. I still love to buy new items, but I am determined to keep my wardrobe downsized. 

Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@wilma  I have several new dresses hanging in my closet with the tags still attached.  I bought them either when I found them on sale or saw some that I really liked and figured I better buy it while I see it.  Haven't had the opportunity to wear them yet for a couple of reasons. I wear a uniform to work so right there that is the brunt of my attire and with the pandemic, haven't gone out to many places where they would be appropriate.  

They are a little too dressy for Publix and Home Depot.  😅 👗

@SloopJohnB 

I understand that. I used to stop by my grocery sometimes after Sunday church so I was wearing dresses, skirts, or nice trousers with heels. I got some interesting  looks. 🤔

@wilma  But I guess looking overdressed is a nice change from the usual p.j. wearers like they just rolled out of bed..🛌.  Lol

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@wilma   Good idea, and maybe I will wear the more summery dress on Sunday!  It has sleeves - but they are short...my flabby 66 year old arms are another story!

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

Yeah, because if you wait until you actually need it, you can't find it!!!!  I've had this happen to me many times.  I like to be prepared. --- LOL!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@wilma   :wave:

Do I have clothing in my closet that have never been worn?  After the Great and Terrible Closet Purge of 2018?!!?   Not. A. Chance!!!   

I wear almost every piece of clothing in my closet in rotation.  I have a few outfits that are worn infrequently, such as outfits for funerals or if I get called for jury duty or something.  

Interesting thread...caught my eye because I'd done so much soul-searching and research into the psychology of shopping during the purge on this very subject.  I had so many "why" questions...why did I not wear these pieces?  Why did I feel the need to buy multiples?  Why did I think I needed yet another [fill in blank]? 

Anyway, your posts are always thought provoking and much appreciated.  Hope you are well!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

sadly, yes.  

in 2019 i suffered a ruptured bowel, which required 3 surgeries and an almost year long recuperation.  then in 2020, covid hit, so we didn't go anywhere.  this year, once things started opening up again, i decided to order a bathing suit on amazon.  i got to go to the beach ONE tiME in 2019 before i became layed up.  so, anyway, i ordered the one bathing suit and it fit SO GOOD and i LOVED it, so i ordered a second one !!!   then i was diagnosed with lung cancer, in june, and i'm undergoing chemo now ... most likely with radiation to follow.   who knows when i will be able to wear that suit.  but i am determined.  i will get to the other side of this one way or the other and get to wear that suit !!!  sorry to go on so long, but honestly, i have been mourning my lost day at the beach.  

@fancy pantsy 

I just read your post and am so very sorry for the challenges you have had.  You are certainly a trooper and are a wonderful picture of strength and determination.

No doubt you will outshine every woman in the beach!

I hope the sun shines on you every day!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I still have tons of pantie's and bras from Victoria Secret I bought back in the early 90's that still have the price tags on them.  Same for a few pants and sweaters.  End of season sales that were just to hard to resist.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I have no "never worn clothing" because I am very careful about what I buy and bring home. I used to order clothing from QVC but realized I was always donating it a month or two later. Constantly declutttering, I found the source and now am happy to have found the solution.🌻🌸🌺