Honored Contributor

Never Worn Clothing?

[ Edited ]

Do you have anything in your closet that you've never worn? Why haven't you worn it? 

I only have one thing right now in my closet that hasn't been worn. I bought a casual knit zip up jacket from the Q a couple of months ago. I still haven't worn it because it's a bit too heavy for warm summer weather even in the AC.

I will get some wear out of it when temperatures are cooler in the fall. 

I tend to wear items I buy within 2 weeks of purchasing them so I don't usually have unworn items in my wardrobe for very long. 

ETA: I forgot. I bought a dark olive jean jacket at Kohl's last week so that makes 2 unworn items right now in my closet. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have 5 or 6 u worn items in my closet; waiting for next vacation ( hopefully a nice long cruise).

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have several pair of brand new jeans that I have never worn.  I have a closet full of jeans that I use for everyday wear, but have bought new ones so that If I go out and want to look extra nice, I have them.

As my old jeans wear out, I have new ones to replace them.

I also have 100% cotton tee shirts 3/4 length sleeves with tags.  I will wear them if I need something new, or if my other tees wear out.

All of these unworn clothing items are from Christopher and Banks. They used to run great sales...shirts for $6 and jeans for $18, so I stocked up.

Good thing too.  They have sold out to HSN and the prices went up and there are complaints about the the and quality.

I have new shoes too..never worn.  Bought before the pandemic...I just wear my old shoes at home around the house.

I am difficult to fit, so if I find basics that fit well, I stock up

Honored Contributor

Yes, numerous things but I end up donating them.

If I like something, I tended to buy additional of the same item, maybe in a different color. But between retiring and Covid, I don't socialize like I used to. And I tend to wear the same clothing. I rarely wear my nicer clothes. So I do purges of my closet and drawers and donate all the unworn clothing.

Respected Contributor

I have several long sleeve blouses & pants that are for dressy occasions that I haven't worn yet, they're for church & funerals. I don't like shopping for those occasions last minute, I want to be prepared.

Respected Contributor

sadly, yes.  

in 2019 i suffered a ruptured bowel, which required 3 surgeries and an almost year long recuperation.  then in 2020, covid hit, so we didn't go anywhere.  this year, once things started opening up again, i decided to order a bathing suit on amazon.  i got to go to the beach ONE tiME in 2019 before i became layed up.  so, anyway, i ordered the one bathing suit and it fit SO GOOD and i LOVED it, so i ordered a second one !!!   then i was diagnosed with lung cancer, in june, and i'm undergoing chemo now ... most likely with radiation to follow.   who knows when i will be able to wear that suit.  but i am determined.  i will get to the other side of this one way or the other and get to wear that suit !!!  sorry to go on so long, but honestly, i have been mourning my lost day at the beach.  

Honored Contributor
Lots of stuff.

Many of the things that I like to wear aren’t easily found, so when I see these pieces I buy them.

And I buy multiples of my faves just in case there’s a “fave famine.” 😀

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy, sending good thoughts your way. Stay strong.

Honored Contributor

I have several items I love that I haven't worn to work yet because I freeze which has always been an issue. 

I can wear them out to lunch.

Esteemed Contributor

I do have several items w/ tags still on them from 2020. I was set to go on an extended business trip w/ several other people (meaning I couldn't keep wearing the same items every day) when the Covid travel restrictions hit. These are work appropriate clothes for business meetings and for a couple of presentations I was scheduled to give. Then bang, no trips and no in person meetings for over a year.

So then this year happens and I decided to retire and I've lost a few pounds and I'm now down a size from last year. Not sure what I'm going to do w/ clothes. Probably donate to that program that provides clothing to women just starting out in their careers. No one I  knows would wear these particular clothes and/or they are not the right size.

In general, I buy clothes pretty close to when I wear them. The exception are basics, where I buy multiples. But I do a closet purge a couple of times a year to get rid of "old" clothes and have a one in one out rule. I like fashion, but I'm by no means "into" fashion where I buy a lot of clothes w/o having a specific purpose for needing.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."