Respected Contributor

Re: Need to vent about prices!!

@151949 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not the prices, it's your own personal financial situation.  If you can't afford something that doesn't mean it's too expensive...lol  Like it or not, people actually have different income levels. 

@Not always true @chrystaltree.  Like @castlenv said, which is my position too...  We can afford a $70 tee shirt, but believe $70 for a tee shirt is too expensive and unjustifiable. For those who don't mind spending $70 on a tee shirt.... fine. It goes against my sensibilities and idea of what is an appropriate amount of money for a tee shirt.

I agree: it's not a matter of one's "financial situation" in many cases. Customers are smart enough to know when prices are out-of-line, and when the Q is no longer competitive.

It's gotten to the point you would just feel like you were being taken to the cleaners for a tee shirt, so to speak. And that line about how the tee shirt will last for years and years. Frankly, I don't want a tee shirt to last for l0 years. I like to freshen up my closet tee shirts and essentials every year with new things.

Some posters on this board , as soon as you say you don't think something is value for the money or that something is overpriced they jump right to - Oh you must be poor - NO I am a person who doesn't throw away the money I had to work very hard to earn on junk. There is a huge difference. Also they will jump right to - well I don't shop at Walmart ---- apparently the only stores in America are QVC and Walmart I guess. 

Based on your own posts, I'd have to disagree with your claim that you are a person who doesn't throw away the money you had to work very hard to earn.  Funny how that works isn't it?  What you consider worth spending money on, others think is a waste, just as you think what they spend their money on is junk and a waste.

Last I checked NOBODY forces anyone to buy anything, not even Oprah.  We all pick and choose and if we are happy with our purchases, then what business is it of anyone else?

Honored Contributor

I see your point about paper thin tops.  I was just flipping channels and saw Bob Mackie was on and the geranium cardigan caught my eye.  So they apparently asked one of the models to unbotton the cardigan and they showed a relatively close shot of both models and you all were not kidding about being able to see through the tops.

At the risk of dating myself, those tops were not paper thin, they were onion skin.

I don't think those shells they were wearing were Bob's, I think they were from some other line.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

a couple things here to remind ourselves ab out home shopping. when it first began, you could watch from home and buy things that in many cases were not found all over town. My first QVc purchase was a Joan rivers omega necklace with 10 color changing stones. I think it cost around $50, which was a lot to me back then. I still have it in the same black box and I still get compliments on it when I wear it. 

With that said, jump forward to today and there are literally thousands of places to shop while sitting at home via the internet. Savvy shoppers use search engines to price compare and find what they want many times at sales prices, with free shipping, rebates, coupons, etc. So, the point is, QVC (and HSN, Evine) are not offering anytbing unique that one can't find lots of other places. If they have a TSV and the price is 20-30 lower than anywhere else, then yes, it's a deal, because unlike B&M, they might sell 80,000 or so and that allows them to offer a lower prce.

But when I see Logo shows for instance and how much she is now charging, I just SMH. I know she has a fan following but seriously are those same people buying clothes from her on every show? if so, they're spending $200-300 a week on tops! 

I know for my money, whether I can afford to spend more for the convenience of seeing it on tv while someone models it or not, I'd rather do my homework and find what I want for better values. It's a win-win. I save money, get what I want, and continue to have funds going into retirement accounts. 

As for why they charge so much, well, even the salesgirls in B&M are making what, 10-15 an hour? and yes the store has to pay for rent, lights etc, but nothing compared to hosts' salaries on tv, or the models salaries, or the expensive sets, or the trips they take. On David's show alone, I just gasp at times when they show how much food they've bought to make a presentation, or when a high end meat sellar brings 15 prime rib roasts and just keeps slicing one after the other, or when they open 15 bottles of wine just to show how an opener works. doesn't matter if the cree eats all of it or not, it's still costing tons of money to bring all that in to  sell a crockpot or wine opener. 

They are going to continue to lose money in today's world once the long time viewers who still like to shop from television are not doing that anymore. My kids are GenX-er's and never even watch tv. 

Honored Contributor

I agree with the prices going up.  I'm not a SG fan so I haven't purchased anything from her in years.  Logo I do like some of her things but man, the prices are ridiculous especially for a light tee shirt. I wait for them to go on sale and if it doesn't, it wasn't meant to be.

Frequent Contributor

I agree.  The prices are very high.  Some people don't mind, but I know that I can find the same quality, better prices, and no shipping charges in some of the discount dept. stores that I visit.  I will still purchase items from QVC, but $67.00 for a tee shirt is a bit out of my price range.  For those who do not like to shop or cannot get out of the house, online shopping is perfect.  

Honored Contributor

re Logo

The woman who sits across from me at work has a lot of LOGO and a lot of other QVC stuff, but she said she buys a fair amount of it off eBay.

She doesn't wear the ruffled LOGO stuff, just the hi-lo stuff. It looks good on her.  She also doesn't layer with LOGO but sometimes has something over it like a jacket of some sort.

She always looks good and put together.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Accusing QVC of price gouging is ludicrous.  Clothing items, actually many items, come in at all price points.  You can find t-shirts for $3.00, $10.00, $50.00, $200.00 and everywhere in between.  Pick the price point you are comfortable with and buy from there. 

You aren't going to find t-shirts on QVC for $5.00 because QVC considers itself above a mart type store. That is why you often hear the hosts talking about how reasonable the price of items on QVC are compared to B&M stores. They are comparing the Q items to stores like Nordstrom, Chicos, etc.  For people who are used to shopping at those types of stores or even Neiman Marcus, local boutiques, etc., QVC prices are very reasonable.

No one is forcing anyone to shop here or anywhere else.  If one isn't comfortable with the prices, shop elsewhere. That's all we can do.    

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Based on your own posts, I'd have to disagree with your claim that you are a person who doesn't throw away the money you had to work very hard to earn.  Funny how that works isn't it?  What you consider worth spending money on, others think is a waste, just as you think what they spend their money on is junk and a waste.

Last I checked NOBODY forces anyone to buy anything, not even Oprah.  We all pick and choose and if we are happy with our purchases, then what business is it of anyone else?

She is never going to get it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree with you! I like Denim & Co., but the quality is not there anymore, and the prices have gone up. I don't care for LOGO and the prices are outrageous for thin tops. The convenience is there (until you need to return something!). I have a shirt from Denim & Co. from 18 years ago, that was made so well, and is gorgeous (looks like new!). Even Susan Graver and the "liquid knit" items are flimsy and polyester - with high prices. There is hardly any good Diamonique anymore and most of it looks gaudy - with huge stones that are unrealistic. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree with you! I like Denim & Co., but the quality is not there anymore, and the prices have gone up. I don't care for LOGO and the prices are outrageous for thin tops. The convenience is there (until you need to return something!). I have a shirt from Denim & Co. from 18 years ago, that was made so well, and is gorgeous (looks like new!). Even Susan Graver and the liquid knit items are flimsy and polyester - with high prices. There is hardly any good Diamonique anymore and most of it looks gaudy - with huge stones that are unrealistic.