Valued Contributor

Re: Need to vent about prices!!

I totally agree!  I bought a Lori top on clearance.  It looks ridiculous on so I took the package to the post office to see what the cheapest way to ship back is.  $7.23!!!!  Then add the $3.00 to the Q charged to ship that they will deduct.  This is a first where the return label is cheaper than mailing on your own.  $10 deducted from a top that cost $32.93.  More and more it is hit and miss if something is going to fit, even using the measurement chart.  I was thinking maybe I should just use it as a pajama top but I typically do not spend that much on a pajama top and it is so much material.  This summer I ordered a pair of Sketcher's Go Walk's.  I already have two pair in 6-1/2.  Ordered a new color in 6-1/2 and guess what, they were too small.  What the heck???  Yep, had to send them back.  No more ordering of shoes for me.  I have pretty much decided I will not be buying anymore clothing as well.  For those of you who can still afford to shop on the Q, enjoy!!!   

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not the prices, it's your own personal financial situation.  If you can't afford something that doesn't mean it's too expensive...lol  Like it or not, people actually have different income levels. 

@chrystaltree

It has nothing to do with personal finances....it's about being a good steward and savvy shopper....paying high prices for something of the same quality and style you can get cheaper elsewhere is not wise....its like flushing money down the toilet!

If that makes you feel better about your own situation, that's ok.  But it's ridiculous to think that every shopper in the entire world has to use your standard when it comes to prices.  What?  Oprah Winfrey should buy her hoodies at Walmart because they cost $12.00????  And then there is there is quality.  You do indeed get what your pay for in this life.  Take a stroll through the nicer stores,  touch and feel that $60 white tee shrt.  Then go touch $9 white tee shirt at...wherever they sell $9 tee shirts.  They most certainly are not equal in fit and quality.  While $60 might be a lot for a white tee for you and me....it's dirt cheap bargain for other women.  They's scoop them up 10 at a time.  Being a good steward...is based on one's own financial situation. 

Honored Contributor

Look!  About the cost of shipping!  I send things to my daughter in Denver and friends all over the US as surprises, etc.

The cost of shipping something is terrible!  The post office employee gets out their piece of cardboard and slides the letter, card, etc through this tiny slit in the cardboard.  I just put an extra few stamps on it now because otherwise it is NEVER ENOUGH!  Ugh!

And talk about sending a package.  Often (well more than you'd think) HSN doesn't include a return label on their items I buy (and when they do it doesn't have postage on it).  I have to pay to send it back.  I have never (and that word never I don't throw around) had it be less than $5!!  It's always like $8.95, etc.

Then let's talk about how long do you want it to take?  Forget about 1 to 2 days.  Everything I send to Denver is AT LEAST 3 (or more days).

Oh!  Go ahead and say, "It's a bargain".  Well, you can think that if you want to, as for me....you'll never convince me it's a bargain.  It's not just the post office.  Just this past week I received two huge boxes put next to my garage door from UPS.  They belonged to my neighbor down the street (had her name and address right there on the huge label).  I couldn't get her phone number without paying for it, I said I'm not paying to get a phone number so I went down there.  Not an easy chore for me because I can barely walk right now.  Oh!  But first I called UPS and they were supposed to deliver them, but instead of getting them they brought me more of them.

That's for another subject......another time.

Every time I try on (that's how I think of it) something from QVC (unless it is free shipping one way) it costs me $6.95 return and sometimes $5 to get it.  I can't walk in 'brick and motar' stores so if I want something new I pay.  

QVC has not only gotten expensive every which way, their sizing is so off it's often like throwing cards up in the air as to if it will fit!  That's what bothers me more.  I just have no idea if this will be the LARGE that will fit or the LARGE that won't fit (same top, different color).

QVC needs to work on their quality control.

Honored Contributor

I used to sew my clothes when I worked back in the 60's.  I know how garments are sewn.

Her clothese are pretty much the same except she sews on the bottom different colors, different designs, same body.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not the prices, it's your own personal financial situation.  If you can't afford something that doesn't mean it's too expensive...lol  Like it or not, people actually have different income levels. 

@chrystaltree

It has nothing to do with personal finances....it's about being a good steward and savvy shopper....paying high prices for something of the same quality and style you can get cheaper elsewhere is not wise....its like flushing money down the toilet!

If that makes you feel better about your own situation, that's ok.  But it's ridiculous to think that every shopper in the entire world has to use your standard when it comes to prices.  What?  Oprah Winfrey should buy her hoodies at Walmart because they cost $12.00????  And then there is there is quality.  You do indeed get what your pay for in this life.  Take a stroll through the nicer stores,  touch and feel that $60 white tee shrt.  Then go touch $9 white tee shirt at...wherever they sell $9 tee shirts.  They most certainly are not equal in fit and quality.  While $60 might be a lot for a white tee for you and me....it's dirt cheap bargain for other women.  They's scoop them up 10 at a time.  Being a good steward...is based on one's own financial situation. 

@chrystaltree

Oprah's a bad example to use, because she used to make her viewers buy things that they couldn't afford (articles have been written about it and called it "The Oprah Factor"---LOL!!!   I'm not saying people should buy $9 t-shirts at Walmart regardless of their finances......what I'm saying is if you can get something of the same style and quality for less why would anyone spend more regardless of income--For example, if I can buy an Investment 3/4 sleeve blouse at Dillards for $29--same as her Graver's "peach skin" material (97% poly, 5% spandex) , why would I buy a Susan Graver top for $53 plus $5 shipping total $58  -even if money were no object why would you decide to pay more....unless you like throwing money away.....wouldn't it be wiser to invest money to make even more or spend it on a luxury vacation etc etc....

You say feel the matrial---oh yes polyester QVC's favorite fabric of their "designers" (the fabric of the 70's if you like that Saturday Night Fever look) I guess you haven't heard about the cotton shortage either, even high end stores can't offer the good quality soft cotton as they did in the past---even my sister looked at top that was $125 and remarked how scratchy the material felt for the price!

Ya know Chrystalltree you seem like such a happy go lucky person on every post such a pleasure to read...Woman Wink

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

@chrystaltree

Oprah's a bad example to use, because she used to make her viewers buy things that they couldn't afford (articles have been written about it and called it "The Oprah Factor"---LOL!!!   I'm not saying people should buy $9 t-shirts at Walmart regardless of their finances......what I'm saying is if you can get something of the same style and quality for less why would anyone spend more regardless of income--For example, if I can buy an Investment 3/4 sleeve blouse at Dillards for $29--same as her Graver's "peach skin" material (97% poly, 5% spandex) , why would I buy a Susan Graver top for $53 plus $5 shipping total $58  -even if money were no object why would you decide to pay more....unless you like throwing money away.....wouldn't it be wiser to invest money to make even more or spend it on a luxury vacation etc etc....

You say feel the matrial---oh yes polyester QVC's favorite fabric of their "designers" (the fabric of the 70's if you like that Saturday Night Fever look) I guess you haven't heard about the cotton shortage either, even high end stores can't offer the good quality soft cotton as they did in the past---even my sister looked at top that was $125 and remarked how scratchy the material felt for the price!

Ya know Chrystalltree you seem like such a happy go lucky person on every post...:womanwink

That's me....  Sometimes my husband calls me a "littlle ray of sunshine".  I think you know what he's means by that...lol  

Honored Contributor

@Bullyeye - I couldn't agree more. And would like to add that the quality does not reflect the high prices.  When they are showing a top that cost over $60 and yet is so thin that as they show it on the hanger you can see right through the fabric. 

However, as has already been stated, as long as they are selling them nothing will change, and there are people here on this board who will argue with you that these are not bad prices.Clearly some shoppers do not understand that there should be a difference between the quality of a $60 top and a $20 one. Some people think just paying a lot equals getting good quality.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

@chrystaltree  You are missing the point - the QVC clothes are the price of high quality but you aren't getting high quality. You are paying Saks prices for K mart quality.

Honored Contributor

I'm finding that the "manufacturer's suggested retail" prices of clothing items are unrealistic and over-reaching. I'll pay $50 for a wool or cotton sweater if that's the "sale" price, and if it is well-made, with a lot of detail. I WON'T pay that much for a tee shirt.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

@chrystaltree

Ya know Chrystalltree you seem like such a happy go lucky person on every post...:womanwink

That's me....  Sometimes my husband calls me a "littlle ray of sunshine".  I think you know what he's means by that...lol  

@chrystaltree

Kudos LOL---well your DH sounds like a real gem.Woman Wink...give him my best! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”