Honored Contributor

Re: Need to vent about prices!!

@castlenv wrote:

I agree with you about the prices but there are obviously many people to whom $50/$60 for a simple top is not a problem.  Although I could easily afford it, I think spending that amount for a simple item is a waste of money.  There are plenty of other options at better price points with the same or better quality than the Q's.

@kaydee50

I agree......I think savvy shoppers realize they can find the same styles and quality cheaper at other places......and even if you can afford it, why spend your hard earned money unwisely................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself many times over.  My friend always teases me about all of my Diamonique jewelry I always wear.  She says, "Annabelle, you're going to get robbed!  People are going to think it is real and rob you".

I say, "Don't worry because if they come upon someone wearing Lori Goldstein's tops they'll rob that person because you can't just wear on top (way too thin) you have to wear maybe 3 at a time...that adds up to close to $175 or more, probably more"!  

That's my gripe.  They are so think you MUST wear more than one.  I'm always hot so I'd be peeling off the clothes and get arrested.  One way or another I'd be scr&wed.

This is America....we are capitalists (in case you didn't realize).  There are people who don't mind paying $59-69$ for the tops.  If people pay it, QVC will keep selling it.

As far as Susan Graver, I've noticed her clothes are getting expensive compared to the brick and mortar (this is what my friend says, I don't know for sure).

I own some Susan Graver tops and really like them, but they are getting expensive.

@Annabellethecat66

Well QVC's strategy isn't working for them in the last 3 quarters.....clothing apparel in particular was hit with a decline....and Q's Execs couldn't figure it out....(all they have to do is read the Forums) instead they sent out a survey to see if people were now buying clothing from Amazon since they started sell apparel....but their survey came back customers were buying things like dog food, cat litter, and items Q doesnt offer......It seems Management just doesn't get it.....that their prices, quality, and inconsistent sizing is the reason for the decline in sales..... It will be interesting to see how their 4th quarter did which will come out the end of February....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not the prices, it's your own personal financial situation.  If you can't afford something that doesn't mean it's too expensive...lol  Like it or not, people actually have different income levels. 

@chrystaltree

It has nothing to do with personal finances....it's about being a good steward and savvy shopper....paying high prices for something of the same quality and style you can get cheaper elsewhere is not wise....its like flushing money down the toilet!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

When I see that an item is being offered under $50, I'm not expecting to see 49.96.   Saving four cents isn't going to help me.  The sales tax is going to push the price over 50 bucks.

I wish QVC would stop using this sales lurer.

@qbetzforreal

And for the best comedy onTV I get a good laugh out of QVC's  "featured price" which sometimes amounts to a whopping savings of $4 or less---WHOOPEE Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself many times over.  My friend always teases me about all of my Diamonique jewelry I always wear.  She says, "Annabelle, you're going to get robbed!  People are going to think it is real and rob you".

I say, "Don't worry because if they come upon someone wearing Lori Goldstein's tops they'll rob that person because you can't just wear on top (way too thin) you have to wear maybe 3 at a time...that adds up to close to $175 or more, probably more"!  

That's my gripe.  They are so think you MUST wear more than one.  I'm always hot so I'd be peeling off the clothes and get arrested.  One way or another I'd be scr&wed.

This is America....we are capitalists (in case you didn't realize).  There are people who don't mind paying $59-69$ for the tops.  If people pay it, QVC will keep selling it.

As far as Susan Graver, I've noticed her clothes are getting expensive compared to the brick and mortar (this is what my friend says, I don't know for sure).

I own some Susan Graver tops and really like them, but they are getting expensive.

Capitalism is an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

With QVC, it's price gouging. Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

Two different things.

@qbetzforreal - Nope, it's not price gouging.  Like it or not, their prices are in line with at least one of their competitors, that being HSN.  QVC is not the only source for products and nobody has to purchase from them.  If you believe they're unethical, then by all means don't buy from them!

@Buck-i-Nana

Sadly HSN is doing very poorly financially (their financial numbers are even worse than QVC's)......I won't say the Shopping Channels are unethical but they are uncompetitive and if they continue down that path....they might not be in business down the road......

Honored Contributor

I see things all the time on the Q that I like and think -- gee, that's pretty -- but then I look at the price -- and think --- no, it's not that pretty! LOL.  I mean, I know what I can spend comfortably and I won't go over that amount.  I am the same way in the b&m stores.  I have to say that the occasions are very rare and few and far between when I have bought an article of clothing that was not on sale.  

I think the price of clothing, shoes, bags, etc. have gone up every where.  It's just the way of the world.  Do I like it?  No, I sure don't.  That is why I shop around.  I may "visit" a blouse or pair of trousers several times watching for the item to go down in price.  Some times I am lucky and get it at a great price and some times I miss out.  It's part of the game!

I do still buy things on the Q but usually it's things that are on the lunch-time specials or clearances and then I am still pretty careful.  

I feel if there is something you really like and it's a little pricey and you can afford it, go for it!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I agree that QVC pricing has gone over the top.It wouldn't bother me so much if the quality was there,I would just purchase fewer items.My main problem is their selling poor quality goods!! I find their tops to be very thin & they stretch & pill a lot.With the exception of Louis Del'Olio fashions I find that QVC clothing doesn't last.After a washing or two I seem to be left with worn out looking rags!! I am very gentle & careful with my clothes so it's not in the handling, it's definitely the cheapness of the material!!

Another problem is sizing & quality control.Their sizing is very inconsistent & I've gotten used items passed off as new as well as new items that have come with defects!!

The Q needs to get it's act together!!

@NicksmomESQ

Agree, its amazing to me about the quality and sizing....I ordered a top and I liked it (a rarity in QVC clothing these days), so I decided to order a second one in a different color.....I was amazed that in just a few months, the quality of the fabric was different, as was the sizing.....my weight was the same.....it was like it was a totally different top!!!   I used to buy quite a few clothing items from QVC.....but between styles, quality, sizing, prices, and "try me fee"....I now shop locally....QVC's loss!

Esteemed Contributor

No retailer is required to sell their clothing at certain prices because people think their prices are too high.  That is why we have choices in this country.  I love expensive clothing from Saks and Neiman's.  I can seldom afford to purchase anything from them but I do love to look and drool.  Once in a great while I can score something affordable but not often.  Would I contact Saks or Neiman's on their Facebook page and insist that they make their clothing more affordable so I can buy it?  OF course not yet some people think it is perfectly OK to do so for QVC clothing.  IF you don't like the prices then look elsewhere for your clothing.  There is very little sold on QVC that you cannot obtain elsewhere for less.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I see things all the time on the Q that I like and think -- gee, that's pretty -- but then I look at the price -- and think --- no, it's not that pretty! LOL.  I mean, I know what I can spend comfortably and I won't go over that amount.  I am the same way in the b&m stores.  I have to say that the occasions are very rare and few and far between when I have bought an article of clothing that was not on sale.  

I think the price of clothing, shoes, bags, etc. have gone up every where.  It's just the way of the world.  Do I like it?  No, I sure don't.  That is why I shop around.  I may "visit" a blouse or pair of trousers several times watching for the item to go down in price.  Some times I am lucky and get it at a great price and some times I miss out.  It's part of the game!

I do still buy things on the Q but usually it's things that are on the lunch-time specials or clearances and then I am still pretty careful.  

I feel if there is something you really like and it's a little pricey and you can afford it, go for it!!!!  

@AngelPuppy1

yes, stores have raised their prices too.....for example, at Dillards I could find some nice quality blouses for work for $28 (non sale price) and yes they went up a whole $2.....compared to QVC which used to charge  $29, $34, $39 for D&C are now $49, $59, and $60 dollar range....thats a HUGE difference....And Dillards, has some really good sales---REAL sales!!!.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

No retailer is required to sell their clothing at certain prices because people think their prices are too high.  That is why we have choices in this country.  I love expensive clothing from Saks and Neiman's.  I can seldom afford to purchase anything from them but I do love to look and drool.  Once in a great while I can score something affordable but not often.  Would I contact Saks or Neiman's on their Facebook page and insist that they make their clothing more affordable so I can buy it?  OF course not yet some people think it is perfectly OK to do so for QVC clothing.  IF you don't like the prices then look elsewhere for your clothing.  There is very little sold on QVC that you cannot obtain elsewhere for less.

@KathyPet

And have you looked at Sak's, Neiman's financial reports lately??????  How are they doing???????????  .(Saks $125 mill in losses 3rd quarter, $142 in 2nd quarter), Neimans---finished 2016 with revenue decreases and sharp profit decline, same store sales declined 4.1,  they are looking for buyer or investor-doesnt sound good) .....will they be able to stay in business..... Think of the many retailers that are no more......And you made an excellent point.....If you don't like the prices, look elsewhere for our clothing,  there is very little sold on QVC that you cannot obtain elsewhere for less.....so what does that mean for QVC .....will they be able to remain in business if Q customers go elsewhere (JCP is struggling, death rattle for Sears and The Gap, The Limited, Cold Water Creek (bankrupt).....etc etc).....