Honored Contributor

Re: Need to vent about prices!!

@Bullyeye wrote:

OK...I just need to vent about the prices of some of the clothing that I have seen on the air.  Logo currently is selling a tee shirt for $67!!!  Where does it end?  I love good clothing, but as long as we continue to buy these pieces at outrageous prices, they will continue to sell them!  Graver tops are currently averaging $50, and that is cheaper than Logo!!  These are just tops...have not even begun to talk about other items of apparel.  And the shipping and return costs have made it a very expensive endeavor!! 

Just venting.  I know that there will be responses about shopping elsewhere, etc., but I have been a loyal Q shopper for decades...they are just getting pricey with shipping, etc.  Thanks for listening!!

Man Sad

@Bullyeye

Good points, but they wouldn't charge so much if customers weren't willing to pay those prices.  Apparently, these items are selling.   Go figure.  

Just a suggestion ......  Next time, post your similar comments in the Suggestion Box section.    

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

So there is an off price chain in the eastern US, called Label Shopper/Peter Harris . Their inventory is random as the owners buy odd lots of merchandise. I have bought 3 logo tops there. 2 for $12 each. ONE of which recently is still  in inventory at the Q. A258920. Yesterday I went there as they were having a warehouse sale.  I bought a Logo layers tank for $3. (on the Q is is part of a package of 2 for $59.75). Come next season they may have no Logo clothing. It boils down to what they find in the market.  There is also another brand they had called A to Z.. It is a brand that I have checked on the internet. I love their Tees as they are beautifully made, wash wonderfully and are great layering pieces.  They also get odd lots of American Eagle outfitter, White House Black Market, Banana Republic, Loft and JJill. I have also found the occasional pieces of Susan Graver, and house lines from Macy's and Kohls.

when Lori first came on the Q I did buy 3 vests at different times. One was an as is, one a tsv and one I chose for the color. I still have one of them, the other two I sent to a Consignment store as I was not wearing them. As i am now retired, I find that I can no longer afford them.   I am amazed at the prices I paid at the off price store. And yes, i realize they were random pieces.

I still enjoy watching the logo shows for ideas on how to style different looks. I find that I can create similar ideas with out paying the price. And as her clothes are a bit on the trendy side, I am not so inclined to paying so much for one piece that I may soon grow tired of.

For those who  can buy her looks, enjoy. I raise my glass to you. WEAR IN GOOD HEALTH.She really has some wonderful ideas. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not the prices, it's your own personal financial situation.  If you can't afford something that doesn't mean it's too expensive...lol  Like it or not, people actually have different income levels. 

@Not always true @chrystaltree.  Like @castlenv said, which is my position too...  We can afford a $70 tee shirt, but believe $70 for a tee shirt is too expensive and unjustifiable. For those who don't mind spending $70 on a tee shirt.... fine. It goes against my sensibilities and idea of what is an appropriate amount of money for a tee shirt.

I agree: it's not a matter of one's "financial situation" in many cases. Customers are smart enough to know when prices are out-of-line, and when the Q is no longer competitive.

It's gotten to the point you would just feel like you were being taken to the cleaners for a tee shirt, so to speak. And that line about how the tee shirt will last for years and years. Frankly, I don't want a tee shirt to last for l0 years. I like to freshen up my closet tee shirts and essentials every year with new things.

Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself many times over.  My friend always teases me about all of my Diamonique jewelry I always wear.  She says, "Annabelle, you're going to get robbed!  People are going to think it is real and rob you".

I say, "Don't worry because if they come upon someone wearing Lori Goldstein's tops they'll rob that person because you can't just wear on top (way too thin) you have to wear maybe 3 at a time...that adds up to close to $175 or more, probably more"!  

That's my gripe.  They are so think you MUST wear more than one.  I'm always hot so I'd be peeling off the clothes and get arrested.  One way or another I'd be scr&wed.

This is America....we are capitalists (in case you didn't realize).  There are people who don't mind paying $59-69$ for the tops.  If people pay it, QVC will keep selling it.

As far as Susan Graver, I've noticed her clothes are getting expensive compared to the brick and mortar (this is what my friend says, I don't know for sure).

I own some Susan Graver tops and really like them, but they are getting expensive.

Capitalism is an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

With QVC, it's price gouging. Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

Two different things.

@qbetzforreal - Nope, it's not price gouging.  Like it or not, their prices are in line with at least one of their competitors, that being HSN.  QVC is not the only source for products and nobody has to purchase from them.  If you believe they're unethical, then by all means don't buy from them!

Of course, the Q spikes the prices. They charge more for their current best sellers, as much as the traffic will bear.

It goes w/o saying, savvy shoppers will shop the best deals. I suppose that is why the Q's financials are down.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Yep, I've noticed it too.....the increase in prices.....then adding in QVC's "try me fee" if return the clothing you lose your original shipping, plus have to pay for a return label ($10).....

I can go to Dillards and find good quality clothes there for $30 (at least here in Texas)....true, they have their high end brands, but even some of these are cheaper than QVC's regular brands.......And same with Macy's too....

If you like Logo tops or Susan Graver....go to Stein Mart....similar styles and some are in the $29 or $19 range.....

QVC's prices are uncompetetive when it comes to clothes....and all of QVC's clothing brands all seem to have the same style...Woman Frustrated  QVC compares their prices to Boutiques, however, I think most QVC clothing customers shop in Department Stores (either in person or online) rather than Boutiques...

Of course that's why the Q's financials are down: they're no longer competitive. And they should be the most competitive selling to millions.

I think the Q got so wealthy with openings in England and France, they thought it was unnecessary to remember Quality, Value and Convenience. Well, obviously their customers remember and are finding Quality, Value and Convenience other places.

People with money, usually have money because they're wise.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I agree that QVC pricing has gone over the top.It wouldn't bother me so much if the quality was there,I would just purchase fewer items.My main problem is their selling poor quality goods!! I find their tops to be very thin & they stretch & pill a lot.With the exception of Louis Del'Olio fashions I find that QVC clothing doesn't last.After a washing or two I seem to be left with worn out looking rags!! I am very gentle & careful with my clothes so it's not in the handling, it's definitely the cheapness of the material!!

Another problem is sizing & quality control.Their sizing is very inconsistent & I've gotten used items passed off as new as well as new items that have come with defects!!

The Q needs to get it's act together!!

@NicksmomESQ

Agree, its amazing to me about the quality and sizing....I ordered a top and I liked it (a rarity in QVC clothing these days), so I decided to order a second one in a different color.....I was amazed that in just a few months, the quality of the fabric was different, as was the sizing.....my weight was the same.....it was like it was a totally different top!!!   I used to buy quite a few clothing items from QVC.....but between styles, quality, sizing, prices, and "try me fee"....I now shop locally....QVC's loss!

I used to spend lots of money on casual clothing from the Q. Can't remember the last clothing I bought.

I did just buy their Repair Cream, which is a good buy if it's a keeper, that is. I also bought their Fixit hand cream. But clothes?

I didn't just fall off the back of a turnip truck.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

No retailer is required to sell their clothing at certain prices because people think their prices are too high.  That is why we have choices in this country.  I love expensive clothing from Saks and Neiman's.  I can seldom afford to purchase anything from them but I do love to look and drool.  Once in a great while I can score something affordable but not often.  Would I contact Saks or Neiman's on their Facebook page and insist that they make their clothing more affordable so I can buy it?  OF course not yet some people think it is perfectly OK to do so for QVC clothing.  IF you don't like the prices then look elsewhere for your clothing.  There is very little sold on QVC that you cannot obtain elsewhere for less.

A sure recipe for going out of business, @KathyPet.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I see things all the time on the Q that I like and think -- gee, that's pretty -- but then I look at the price -- and think --- no, it's not that pretty! LOL.  I mean, I know what I can spend comfortably and I won't go over that amount.  I am the same way in the b&m stores.  I have to say that the occasions are very rare and few and far between when I have bought an article of clothing that was not on sale.  

I think the price of clothing, shoes, bags, etc. have gone up every where.  It's just the way of the world.  Do I like it?  No, I sure don't.  That is why I shop around.  I may "visit" a blouse or pair of trousers several times watching for the item to go down in price.  Some times I am lucky and get it at a great price and some times I miss out.  It's part of the game!

I do still buy things on the Q but usually it's things that are on the lunch-time specials or clearances and then I am still pretty careful.  

I feel if there is something you really like and it's a little pricey and you can afford it, go for it!!!!  

@AngelPuppy1

yes, stores have raised their prices too.....for example, at Dillards I could find some nice quality blouses for work for $28 (non sale price) and yes they went up a whole $2.....compared to QVC which used to charge  $29, $34, $39 for D&C are now $49, $59, and $60 dollar range....thats a HUGE difference....And Dillards, has some really good sales---REAL sales!!!.....

And so does Belk's have sensational sales, and their clothes have every bit the quality of the Q if not better.

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not the prices, it's your own personal financial situation.  If you can't afford something that doesn't mean it's too expensive...lol  Like it or not, people actually have different income levels. 

@Not always true @chrystaltree.  Like @castlenv said, which is my position too...  We can afford a $70 tee shirt, but believe $70 for a tee shirt is too expensive and unjustifiable. For those who don't mind spending $70 on a tee shirt.... fine. It goes against my sensibilities and idea of what is an appropriate amount of money for a tee shirt.

I agree: it's not a matter of one's "financial situation" in many cases. Customers are smart enough to know when prices are out-of-line, and when the Q is no longer competitive.

It's gotten to the point you would just feel like you were being taken to the cleaners for a tee shirt, so to speak. And that line about how the tee shirt will last for years and years. Frankly, I don't want a tee shirt to last for l0 years. I like to freshen up my closet tee shirts and essentials every year with new things.

Some posters on this board , as soon as you say you don't think something is value for the money or that something is overpriced they jump right to - Oh you must be poor - NO I am a person who doesn't throw away the money I had to work very hard to earn on junk. There is a huge difference. Also they will jump right to - well I don't shop at Walmart ---- apparently the only stores in America are QVC and Walmart I guess. 

Contributor

I am in total agreement about the prices. I retired a couple of years ago and only purchase casual clothes. I have enough dress clothes to last the rest of my life!  I am relatively new to buying clothes from QVC and have been buying D&C for only a few years. I generally like the clothes, but the prices have really gone up.  They introduce one new color - new antique rose - and that's it.  One new color for the last year and a half. For 2016, we have seen a ton of clothes with a stand up collar.  We need variety, don't just stick with one style, color, etc. As mentioned, sizing is off too. I wear a large and copied the sizing of a favorite top so I can compare and know how a top will fit. Most tops are now up to 31/2" smaller across the chest than my favorite top. If you don't compare, most items will be returned. I like Kohl's and Macy's. They have comparable clothes and great sales prices. If I see something on the Q, I have to love it before I even think about ordering it. Tops are running close to $40 before tax and shipping. That's a lot of money for a casual top. I used to order stuff at least once a week, now it's maybe once a month.