Honored Contributor

Need suggestions for purchasing crew socks.

I wear denim skirts and tennis shoes. I need non-binding crew socks that do not slide down.  I do not like the crew socks that are called diabetic type socks. I prefer solid colors in blue or denim colors and various shades of navy and brown. I googled and read  reviews. I had a gift card and purchased the expensive  G. Toe brand but after three months of washing and wear they are more like cuffed or slouch socks. I would appreciate suggestions from people with tried and true results.TIA, SouthernBee 

Valued Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for purchasing crew socks.

I really like Maggies Organics for socks, man what a difference organic fabric makes, unreal..

Honored Contributor

I never find much at Kohl's but love their house brand (Is it Sonoma? - can never remember) of crew socks.   They have a high cotton content, are supersoft and supercomfortable and roomy and wear like iron through many washings.  Best of all, they are often on sale and then there are additional discount coupons.  Lots of colors available but I buy mostly the white and the black ones.   They are my go-to socks, and in fact the only reason I "go to" Kohls.

Valued Contributor

Smartwool is my brand.  Expensive but worth it.  If you can find the cable knit crews, they stay up.  Check Sierra Trading Post for discounted prices.

Honored Contributor

I always get my socks at Hanes dot com.   About once or twice a year, I order a variety of styles.  Reasonably priced, good selection.

Respected Contributor

I would have suggested Gold Toe in a style called Bermuda (which is technically a turn cuff sock, but I don't turn the cuffs down), but I see you didn't have good luck with that brand. In the past (I don't often wear socks these days), I had many pairs in black and in their denim blue color (which I loved for wearing with jeans). I will also admit that a few years ago, when my son's feet were smaller, I actually bought the denim ones for him to wear with his jeans for school . . . I didn't ever tell him they were women's socks, and there was no way anyone would know! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found this site years ago. They specialize in socks! I love this place.Heart

download.jpg

I like to look at all the sock designs even if I'm not buying. Give it a peek. You will be socked!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

I wear denim skirts and tennis shoes. I need non-binding crew socks that do not slide down.  I do not like the crew socks that are called diabetic type socks. I prefer solid colors in blue or denim colors and various shades of navy and brown. I googled and read  reviews. I had a gift card and purchased the expensive  G. Toe brand but after three months of washing and wear they are more like cuffed or slouch socks. I would appreciate suggestions from people with tried and true results.TIA, SouthernBee 

@SouthernBee

I don't know why it matters if there's a little slouch in the cuff, but it's going to be hit or miss with ANY brand you buy ....   because the unknown variables are what you select for soap, bleach, water temperature and dryer temperature.  If you want the least slouch possible over time, then DO NOT ever put them in the clothes dryer because the heat causes breakdown of the elastic  .... and it just can't be helped.  You will need to let them air dry.  

What I am most concerned with these days with socks is the FABRIC CONTENT.   Back in the day, I seem to recall that most socks were made of all cotton, and some had a smidge of spandex.   Not any more .....   check out the fabric content these days, and you'll see that most brands have high percentages of polyester, nylon, acrylic and other man-made fabrics that do not breathe.  

Perhaps some people don't care, but, personally, I don't want my feet in socks that won't breathe and release perspiration.  Who thinks sweaty feet are somehow okay?   Just my own personal sock rant, but recent label reading was a real eye opener for me.   I'm a cotton girl.  

Honored Contributor

@athenian wrote:

Smartwool is my brand.  Expensive but worth it.  If you can find the cable knit crews, they stay up.  Check Sierra Trading Post for discounted prices.

@athenian

I've seen them on Ebay, too.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for purchasing crew socks

@blankette: Thank you for the information. Your socks will be my next order. SouthernBee