Trusted Contributor

Need some help, I am European and clueless

Hello everyone,

We do not have high school graduation or parties of this sort in my country. I have been invited to attend one of these, which present shall I bring to the young lady who graduates from HS this year?

I know her parents who travel a lot but have never met her.

Thank you so much for your advice🌻

Respected Contributor

Re: Need some help, I am European and clueless

@CHIP62 ... It is so thoughtful of you to want to follow appropriate American etiquette. In the city I live in, graduation parties are just for the immediate family. In some other places I have lived, just about everyone who knows the family gets invited to the party. I have asked parents who get invited to multiple graduation parties what they do, and they said they limit the gift to $20-$25 or a nice pen or some other small gift..

Here is a website that might give you some guidance: https://www.shutterfly.com/ideas/graduation-gift-etiquette/

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

I would give her a small amount in a gift card (vias prepaird ).  

Valued Contributor

I would give a small make-up travel bag with flowers or something pretty.

Honored Contributor

Since you haven't met her, $25 gift card/cash would be a nice gift.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Give a monetary gift = money, check or visa.  I can't believe you were invited since you do not know the graduate.  Some people just invite to receive gifts.  You don't have to attend if you do not want to and do NOT feel obligated to give a gift.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Money and a card.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Even within the United States, there seems to be a lot of regional difference in the way high school graduations are celebrated and what gifts are appropriate.

The one universal thing is money, and really what the graduates need most. Some will be continuing their education and the money will be greatly appreciated for that. Others will be heading straight into the work world, and will need transportation and appropriate clothing, both costing money most graduates don't have. 

Other gifts, like pens, jewelry, books etc. are really something to be gifted to those graduates you know well, as they are things that are special and remembered as tokens from relatives and close loved ones. This doesn't seem to be the case in your situation. 

So a card, and a maximum of $25 to $50 would be considered an appropriate and welcomed gift to both the graduate and her parents. 

Super Contributor

Oh Boy.. I wish I could say we don't  have them here....

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Even within the United States, there seems to be a lot of regional difference in the way high school graduations are celebrated and what gifts are appropriate.

The one universal thing is money, and really what the graduates need most. Some will be continuing their education and the money will be greatly appreciated for that. Others will be heading straight into the work world, and will need transportation and appropriate clothing, both costing money most graduates don't have. 

Other gifts, like pens, jewelry, books etc. are really something to be gifted to those graduates you know well, as they are things that are special and remembered as tokens from relatives and close loved ones. This doesn't seem to be the case in your situation. 

So a card, and a maximum of $25 to $50 would be considered an appropriate and welcomed gift to both the graduate and her parents. 

Edited to add, if you are presenting the card in person, I'd give cash. I've never found gift certificates or gift cards appropriate for this event. If you have to mail it, perhaps a check or a money order.