Respected Contributor

Need recommendations for walking shoes...

For those who walk for exercise, what sneakers do you prefer?  I've been wearing my Skechers, but they aren't supportive enough for long walks.  I love them for just walking around the stores or sight-seeing when traveling, but they just aren't working for me on daily walks.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need recommendations for walking shoes...

I like Asics Gel Kayano....particularly because they have narrow sizes available. They are running shoes, but I wear them for walking. They provide exceptionally good support.

Respected Contributor

Thanks @Goldengate8361  Do you find that they run true to your regular shoe size, or do you go up?

Super Contributor

Trudey, I walk approx 4-5X per week 3-4 miles each time.

I have worn probably every walking shoe made & the one that both my hubby & I love, love, love is REEBOK WALK ULTRA DMX.  They come in medium, wide & extra wide width.

They're true to size, last us a long time, are light weight & give you cushion on both the sole & ball of your foot.

Highly recommend...they're available both online from Reebok.com or @their outlet stores.

Hope you love them as much as I do!!!

http://www.reebok.com/us/walk-ultra-iv-dmx-max/J88625.html

BTW: Asics etc. wear out VERY Quickly..do NOT recommend them.

Respected Contributor

@wenfen.  Thank you...I will check those out.

Super Contributor

Make sure you get DMX...they have a "special" cushioned bottom.

The other "regular" Reebok shoes do not!

Good-luck & hope you enjoy them.

If you sign up on the Reebok website, you'll get a welcome coupon & they'll send you sale updates...they just had a great sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday of 50% ALL Shoes!

They might be having it again so look for it.  The normal price is $75, but if you can wait for a sale or check-out your local outlet store, they usually have good prices...I think the outlets also will ship to your home for a flat $5.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

This is good info to know as I want to try to get back to walking. I also need something supportive. Thanks for the info.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I like Asics Gel Kayano....particularly because they have narrow sizes available. They are running shoes, but I wear them for walking. They provide exceptionally good support.

My trainer recommended Asics Kayano Gels and I wouldn't exercise in anything else!  

Respected Contributor

I agree that a good pair of stability running shoes is the best choice for long walks.  I'm a 30-year jogger, and if I need to walk rather than run I will still grab my Nike Air Structure's.  The ASICS Gel Kayano is another good choice IMO.  Running shoes are built with a natural "roll" to them so you can glide through your walk.  Be prepared to fork over $100+ for a decent running shoe, however.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Trudey - I find that Asics Gel Kayano run true to size. I actually ordered up when I originally ordered them and I had to return them because they were too big. I then ordered my usual size (8.5N) and they fit perfectly. I know you'll love them!