Honored Contributor

Re: Need recommendations for walking shoes...

I like Rykas - when I was a working nurse I wore them to work in and they were great. Now as a retiree I have bought them to go to the gym and for walking. They give me the support I need and don't cost an arm and a leg. My PT after knee surgery also said Rykas were a good quality walking shoe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snicks1

@Trudey

"My" go-to shoe is Easy Spirit "Punter."  There is nothing fancy or cutsie about it.  I like to buy it in white (leather) and it has light gray trim.

It used to be rated by Easy Spirit at the highest level of support for athletic endeavors.  I don't see that they are using that system now.

The inside sole pulls out and is orthotic... can be used in other shoes.

I do not have a high arch; my skeletal frame has adjusted to this shoe and no other will do for serious walking.  I trekked all over Washington DC (three times) on foot and stood all day when I was a teacher.

This is my shoe!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

I've seen Sketchers styles made with footbeds other than the one used for Go Walk which appear to be much more supportive.  I can't say if they really are becuase I'm only going by sight and in-store try-ons.  For me personally my bevy of lower body orthopedic issues feel best when I walk in Ryka.  Other brands which are comfortable for me include Naturalizer's BZees, Earth, and Merrill.  Sadly, I've dropped Clarks from one of my most comfortable brands list.  They are ok, but the footbeds aren't nearly as good for my feet as they used to be.  

Respected Contributor

I've never found that Skechers are a genuine walking shoe, just more a style than a serious shoe.

Those Asics gel are $160 on Zappos.  I don't believe it's necessary to spend that much to get a decent walking shoe.  I do well with other Asics and Saucony as well.  I have not liked the gel shoes.  I like Zappos because they have free shipping both ways.  You can order 2-3 pairs to try on, return the rest. 

It's difficult to make shoe recommendations because everyone's feet are different and respond differently to the features of a shoe.

Good luck.

Valued Contributor

Not Ryka for wide feet. They are not wide enough. Just barely beyond a medium width.

Respected Contributor

For any type of workout or walking shoes I am a fan of New Balance and as of late, Vionic. Both have helped my knees tremendously. I have found that I need to buy new ones more often than I do though. They do break down far sooner than you would think!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield