Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on stockings/pantyhose, etc.

[ Edited ]

I would suggest a smoke color or sheer black.  I always love Silk Reflections made by Hanes Hosiery from NC.  They feel wonderful and are a fine weave.  They don't like large ugly netting like some hosiery.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I'd wear dark taupe or off-black pantyhose.  I never go bare-legged when wearing a dress or skirt  

Those are the only two colors I ever wear - and they work with all shoes and clothes.  

I don't like tights with pumps ... only with closed shoes like shootees or flats.

Trusted Contributor

Take the dress with you to Nordstrom or Macy's or similar.

Ask the retail associate in hosiery to help you pick a color close in color tone.

Trusted Contributor

I would wear sheer black hose or nude hose with that dress, which by the way, is very pretty!    I think it would be a good idea to try both with the dress along with your shoes and all accessories you plan to wear and then wear what appeals to you the most.

I usually only go bare-legged in late spring or any time in the summer.

Enjoy the wedding! 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with those that suggested sheer black. 

Respected Contributor

If you are one of the people suggesting not wearing hose with the dress in the winter time, you may think it looks fine but I guarantee it nobody else will.  I think there is about a six month span when you are between 18 and 19 years old when your legs look that good.

Honored Contributor

@AmazonMom   Hi, I am a natural redhead and give new meaning to the word pale.  I never gave up my nude stockings.  I don't care if it's popular or not, my pale legs look better with some kind of tint. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Black pantyhose.

Super Contributor

The pantyhose/no pantyhose debate will continue on this forum forever.  The bottom line is that they are not in style anymore, and haven't been for quite a while.  I stopped wearing them at least 10 years ago, but it seems to be a newer thing in other parts of the country based on the reactions here.  If you feel you must wear something on your legs, I would go with a very sheer black or off black.  I don't know your age, but only older ladies wear nude hose where I live.  Even very fair-skinned women go bare-legged.  If you do wear hose, please wear closed-toe shoes, not sandals.  If you want to wear opaque tights, boots, not shoes.

Honored Contributor

@AmazonMom  Who cares about what is supposedly in style.  I have always worn what I like and am comfortable in and don't really care what anyone else thinks.   If I go through all the trouble of getting a dress for a wedding, I will not ruin the look by having bare legs.  I would be so uncomfortable with skin on skin in a dress!  When my SO's daughter got married her bridesmaids wore slightly below the knee dresses which were gorgeous but even though they were only late 20's and early 30's their legs ruined the look.  When the pictures came out she requested that their legs be photo shopped and they all said they should have worn pantyhose or thigh highs.  Wear what you think would look and feel good on you.  I have never seen an invitation to a wedding or more formal event saying no stockings!