Frequent Contributor

I find that wearing tops or sweaters with dolman like sleeves are hard to wear under coats or jackets.  Does anyone know of outerwear with dolman sleeves or something similar.  It's odd that fashion pushes bulky sweaters and tops but pushes coats with set in sleeves.

Honored Contributor

There are currently 6 (total) Dennis Basso dolman and raglan sleeve coats available on the Q

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@seedpie   Keep in mind when you wear dolman sleeves, which aren't flattering, and add a bulky sweater beneath, you're likely to look like a butter ball.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@seedpie You might consider a winter poncho coat such as A548755.  There are lots online ikn a range of colors, patterns, faabrics, and prices. i especially like the camel one at Talbots.

Honored Contributor

I have several vests and like those for winter wear w/sweaters w/big sleeves.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I would go with a poncho, cape or ruana.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@seedpie   Keep in mind when you wear dolman sleeves, which aren't flattering, and add a bulky sweater beneath, you're likely to look like a butter ball.

@Kachina624   I agree that even on a small frame, dolman sleeves, heavily cabled/textured sweaters and quilted coats are a bit much. 

I'd rather do thinner layers to stay warm.

Honored Contributor

Only a cape or ruana will give you coverage without making your arms uncomfortable and you can easily take them off.

Trusted Contributor

@seedpie wrote:

I find that wearing tops or sweaters with dolman like sleeves are hard to wear under coats or jackets.  Does anyone know of outerwear with dolman sleeves or something similar.  It's odd that fashion pushes bulky sweaters and tops but pushes coats with set in sleeves.

Good luck in your quest for just the right coat or jacket. I think that dolman sleeves are lovely. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Super Contributor

I also agree with a cape.  I have a hip length wool cape, double breasted, open portrait collar with a belt that is inside in the back, but has slots at the side so the belt then ties on the front outside.  When tied, the cape loosly forms sleeves.  Even this 2X lady looks stylish and it is quite slenderiizing.  When the weather is really cold, I don long gloves to keep the arms warm (as opposed to sleeves), and neck wraps, to keep warm.  I've had mine for at least 12 years, and it never goes out of style.

If you can find one, look for wool as that will be warm, without the added bulk of thicker materials.