Frequent Contributor

Necklines and front seams on pants

Watching the Bob Mackie show.  Saw a few things I considered until I read the descriptions.

1.  The 1st top presented that was on sale.  Beautiful until I read the comments re the neck line being too wide.  Most large bust women have shoulders that slope.  These wide necklines make it impossible to wear.  Wish the designers would realize this.

2.  The Ponte pants.  I absolutely hate the seam down the front.   I have a crooked leg and the seam is never straight when I try to wear them.  

Anyone else out there agree with me?

Respected Contributor

Re: Necklines and front seams on pants

Bob's story about Cher going to the mens bathroom cracked me up! It was so funny.

I have a couple of jackets I bought years ago but his designs are too busy for me and I don't care for all the flowers and loudness. I'm old but I still dress for cuteness.

The show was fun to watch and Mary Beth does such a good job presenting. 

Respected Contributor

I have a couple of his jackets that are beautiful and fit like a glove.  His tops are a bir too big on me, unfortunately.  There are some I really love.

Honored Contributor

I don't dislike seams down the front of some pants, like ponte knit pants.  I don't seek them out but if I like the style and fit and they have the seam, I will buy them.  They are supposed to lengthen the look of the legs.  

I have a problem with a lot of tops being too wide across my shoulders because I'm smaller in width up top.  Many times with a longer top, if it fits across my hips and butt, it's too big in the shoulders.  I am not big chested.

Respected Contributor

A too-wide neckline is a design fail, which is annoying because designers should know better.   A seam down the front is a fashion choice, which I don't care for, but others seem to like.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Many older women don't like wide necklines on top because they have crepiness on their chests.  Bob is usually very sensitive to such needs so I'm surprised he'd have such a garment in his collection.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVE front seams on pants.  I've got quite a collection.  Everytime I see them, I buy a pair or two.  They hand perfectly and always look neat.

One time, SG had front seam lustra knits, and DB had some caviar crepe with a front seam.  Years ago, D&Co had some denim pants with front seam ... marked way down and I bought a bunch of them  Alsso found some at Chico's.  

I wasn't watching Q today .... I'll have to check on Mackie's pants.  (I won't buy pants if they have pockets unless they are cheap enough to justify having them removed.)

--------------------------------------

ETA:  Yuck .... just looked and they are ankle pants.  I really, really, really dislike the look of ankle pants. 

--------------------------------------

I prefer crew or turtleneck tops, or button front.  (I have wide shoulders.)

I get the majority of my tops elsewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Mi47 wrote:

Watching the Bob Mackie show.  Saw a few things I considered until I read the descriptions.

1.  The 1st top presented that was on sale.  Beautiful until I read the comments re the neck line being too wide.  Most large bust women have shoulders that slope.  These wide necklines make it impossible to wear.  Wish the designers would realize this.

2.  The Ponte pants.  I absolutely hate the seam down the front.   I have a crooked leg and the seam is never straight when I try to wear them.  

Anyone else out there agree with me?

Honored Contributor

I hate front seams on pants!  I don't like the look and can feel them.  They are annoying.

As for necklines, I like a good sized scoop neck but not too big or wide.  I really don't care for high or crew necks at all!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I LOVE front seams on pants.  I've got quite a collection.  Everytime I see them, I buy a pair or two.  They hand perfectly and always look neat.

@ALRATIBA 

I also love a permanent front seam in a pant. Gives a long lean look IMO. I still iron a front crease in my and DH’s dress pants! Love that sharp neat look. 

@Mi47 

I do not like wide necklines on tops. Not a fan of wide v’s, scoop, or boatneck tops. I have strong shoulders so I don’t want a wide neckline - makes me look too broad. 

Honored Contributor

To state the obvious; Bob Mackie has many clothing  options on QVC and he isn't designing specifically for you or anyone else.  Of course there are items that don't work for you.  I'm sure he has things that will work for you.  I have narrow shoulders so off the shoulder styles and boat necks slip off my shoulders, stay away from them.  I have thicker legs and seems down the front of the leg don't stay flat and straight.  I don't wear them.  But I certainly don't mind if other women wear them.