Honored Contributor

Re: Neck widths too wide in plus sizes

I totally agree about the too-wide necklines.   

I have a thin neck and other than button front styles, only buy crew and turtleneck tops.

Re SG ... she frequently comments that she doesn't like snug necklines .... so apparently designs accordingly.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a number of years. I usually like to wear crewneck tops and it's so hard to find a true crewneck anymore. I see tops labeled as crewneck and the necklines are either more scoopneck or they just look stretched out. Not the look I'm going for. ☹️

@Texasmouse Me too.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA right? She always talks about "opening you up". Well, maybe some of us don't want to be "opened up"! Lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

@Texasmouse 

I had an issue with a D&Co. dip-dye top after it was washed.  Totally stretched out of shape after one washing!

What I've done for too-wide or stretched out crew neck tops is embroider a blanket stitch around the neckline.  

Doesn't take long to do and looks pretty good!

@Mindy D wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a number of years. I usually like to wear crewneck tops and it's so hard to find a true crewneck anymore. I see tops labeled as crewneck and the necklines are either more scoopneck or they just look stretched out. Not the look I'm going for. ☹️

@Texasmouse Me too.

Honored Contributor

The only line I've had trouble with is Reneee Greenstein's.  She make very wide necklines.  However I don't like her fabric or method of construction so rarely am tempted anyway.

@Mindy D   Maybe you have narrower than normal shoulders for your size.  That would affect the neckline.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If necklines are a certain, just shop elsewhere.  I have three surgery scars that bug me and I can always find a top. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D, you're right. It's just as annoying as when buying wide width shoes and having the ankle area gap. I don't need the wide width in the base of the ankle.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.  You are singing my tune LOL.  I wear a 1X, and the first thing I check is the neckline when shopping for tops and I immediately reject any V-neck.

The crew necks are usually (not always) larger fitting than my preference.  I often lament I want more interesting necklines, like boatneck or mandarin collar, that fit well.  My winter wardrobe is almost exclusively turtlenecks now.