Respected Contributor

Re: Nancy Hornback Said.....

On 1/21/2015 Keyai - Q Social said:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to clear up the confusion that was created by program host Nancy Hornback during a recent sell of a G.I.L.I item. There are no plans for Lisa Robertson to return to QVC. Nancy was speculating that Lisa, with all her talents, will probably be doing something special in the future. I confirmed that Nancy did not mean to imply that Lisa would be returning to QVC, nor did she mean to imply that she knew what Lisa had in store for the future. I am sorry for the confusion this recent comment caused and hope this helps clear up what was actually meant.

Have a great rest of the week!

Thank you, Keyai, for the clarification.

Super Contributor

On 1/21/2015 brii said:
On 1/21/2015 Keyai - Q Social said: <p style="line-height: 16px; margin: 0px 0px 12px; word-wrap: break-word; outline: none; color: #434343; font-family: Arial, helvetica, sans-serif; padding: 0px; zoom: 1; font-size: 14px; background-color: #f2f2f2;"> Hi Everyone,

<p style="line-height: 16px; margin: 0px 0px 12px; word-wrap: break-word; outline: none; color: #434343; font-family: Arial, helvetica, sans-serif; padding: 0px; zoom: 1; font-size: 14px; background-color: #f2f2f2;"> I wanted to clear up the confusion that was created by program host Nancy Hornback during a recent sell of a G.I.L.I item. There are no plans for Lisa Robertson to return to QVC. Nancy was speculating that Lisa, with all her talents, will probably be doing something special in the future. I confirmed that Nancy did not mean to imply that Lisa would be returning to QVC, nor did she mean to imply that she knew what Lisa had in store for the future. I am sorry for the confusion this recent comment caused and hope this helps clear up what was actually meant.

<p style="line-height: 16px; margin: 0px 0px 12px; word-wrap: break-word; outline: none; color: #434343; font-family: Arial, helvetica, sans-serif; padding: 0px; zoom: 1; font-size: 14px; background-color: #f2f2f2;"> Have a great rest of the week!

Thank you for clearing this up.

Yes. thank goodness for clearing this up! I must say that I have never heard "here" used in this way before to mean a "generic" location. Has the English language come to this, especially coming from people who speak - and in public -for a living?

Respected Contributor

Crisso, I think it is a regional thing and certainly not proper English. If you ever watch the Big Bang Theory and Howard's mother, who has a strong New York accent, often sticks 'here' at the end of her sentences.

For example, she said something about trying to fit into a dress that was too small and she couldn't keep both her front and back in the dress at the same time. She said, "It's like trying to keep 2 dogs in a bathtub here!" In that context, the word 'here' is purely superfluous, but you know what she means.

It may be something that is common to where Nancy comes from and not universally understood throughout the country. If you were not hanging on every word (and who would be at that hour?), I could see mistaking what she said. I listened to the video twice to make sure I was hearing her correctly.

Super Contributor

On 1/21/2015 cosmic1 said:

Crisso, I think it is a regional thing and certainly not proper English. If you ever watch the Big Bang Theory and Howard's mother, who has a strong New York accent, often sticks 'here' at the end of her sentences.

For example, she said something about trying to fit into a dress that was too small and she couldn't keep both her front and back in the dress at the same time. She said, "It's like trying to keep 2 dogs in a bathtub here!" In that context, the word 'here' is purely superfluous, but you know what she means.

It may be something that is common to where Nancy comes from and not universally understood throughout the country. If you were not hanging on every word (and who would be at that hour?), I could see mistaking what she said. I listened to the video twice to make sure I was hearing her correctly.

OK. Great example!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think Nancy said anything wrong at all, grammatically. Although it was obviously subject to interpretation her use of the word "here" was, we all now know, just used idiomatically and I think everyone uses an idiom now or then. Poor Nancy called to the principal's office.

Honored Contributor

Nancy didn't say anything wrong.
Super Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Johnnyeager said:

I don't think Nancy said anything wrong at all, grammatically. Although it was obviously subject to interpretation her use of the word "here" was, we all now know, just used idiomatically and I think everyone uses an idiom now or then. Poor Nancy called to the principal's office.

Where is the idiom? What was the combination of words that made an idiomatic expression?

Respected Contributor

On 1/21/2015 cgil said:

I still think she might be coming back as a vendor for GILI (like Susan Graver). I say this because of things Lisa said during her final show and because they still have her listed as a top blog author. I liked some of the GILI items. I guess time will tell...

How can she be a vendor for GILI when it's a QVC product. All the hosts show Gili products. A vendor is not needed.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Crisso said:
On 1/21/2015 Johnnyeager said:

Where is the idiom? What was the combination of words that made an idiomatic expression?

Speaking of those "idio-" words, at least she didn't say Lisa was coming to a star soon. Or a moon. Or a planet! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Respected Contributor

I am certainly no expert, but her use of the word 'here' in that context was purely superfluous and added confusion.

She said that 'Lisa would be doing something great here soon,' or words to that effect. She should have said that 'Lisa would be doing something great soon.' I'd think that any English teacher would edit out the 'here' if it were written in an essay or paper. It's just unnecessary and, from a business writing perspective not appropriate because it adds confusion.