Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nail color on shorter nails? Yay or Nay?

On 4/8/2014 fromthebronx said:

I think nail color looks good on nails of any length. Go for it! BTW, magicmoodz, you have gorgeous nails! I envy you…they are beautifully shaped and look strong.

fromthebronx ~such a nice compliment, but those aren't my nails! I did a search for the colors I wear most often! Smile

Valued Contributor

Short nails are PERFECT for any color! If your nails are short, you can wear anything from Ballet Slippers to Black. I know because I've done it. I wear my nails short by choice, and I ALWAYS wear polish. Red polish on short nails is very chic!

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 4/8/2014 AngelPuppy1 said:

fairiemoon:

I so agree with you! No matter what type of polish I use, after just a short while, my nails go bad after wearing polish. They peel and crumble and just turn horrible. I really love the look of nail polish, but hate that it destroys my nails.

Is there any brand or kind that does not do this?????

As for the original question --- I think that color on short nails is a very pretty look.

It drives me crazy because I love the look of polish, but it's not worth making my nails all peely. At first I thought it was the nail polish remover, but discovered it's actually the polish. Very frustrating.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

The OPI line of polishes is very good and I switched from bargain brands to this brand several years ago. I always apply a base coat before using any polish to protect my nails. It also helps if you do not use your nails to peel off labels from boxes too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2014 JustJazzmom said:
On 4/8/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 4/8/2014 AngelPuppy1 said:

fairiemoon:

I so agree with you! No matter what type of polish I use, after just a short while, my nails go bad after wearing polish. They peel and crumble and just turn horrible. I really love the look of nail polish, but hate that it destroys my nails.

Is there any brand or kind that does not do this?????

As for the original question --- I think that color on short nails is a very pretty look.

It drives me crazy because I love the look of polish, but it's not worth making my nails all peely. At first I thought it was the nail polish remover, but discovered it's actually the polish. Very frustrating.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

The OPI line of polishes is very good and I switched from bargain brands to this brand several years ago. I always apply a base coat before using any polish to protect my nails. It also helps if you do not use your nails to peel off labels from boxes too.

I've used OPI and still have had the same problem. I wonder if there is some sort of nourishing base coat that might help.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

The length of your nail bed affects the look just as much as your nail length and shape. I have extremely small nail beds and without some length, my hands look like little boy hands. I wear darker colors in fall/winter. O love the look. In spring/summer I wear lighter neutrals or nudes. I do not wear sheers.

Trusted Contributor

I wear my nails on the short side not only because it is practical, but it is a much more modern look, IMO, than longer nails. And color on short nails? Absolutely! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Short nails with orange and pink nail polish

(Okay, the multi-colored nails are not my thing, but they sure are pretty colors! Photo from topfortylist.com)

Honored Contributor

I either do a pale color like Essie Sugar Daddy (usually when I polish them myself) or a red/pink.

I have tried, but I can't embrace the rest of the rainbow. It just doesn't look good on me. I will see women with green or blue or yellow toes or nails and it looks cool on them but it doesn't work on me.

I'm happy with my pinks Smiley Very Happy

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Hello! Polish on short nails has been in vogue for 5 years now.

Contributor

On 4/7/2014 teainlondon said:

Magicmoodtz,

I agree with you. I love color and have always worn polish. I like all colors from light to dark and all in between. I am 70 years old and today I have on bright orange! Just love happy colors. It was a gloomy weather day so the bright color on my nails made me smile.

Age doesn't matter to me. I'm always outside the box, and I like it that way. Trends-yuck. I wear what I like, not to please somebody else.

tea

Teainlondon-

Totally what you said there! Nails are just nails, and as long as you like it, that's really all that matters. By the way--happiest birthday of all to you. You have a beautiful attitude and seem like a very happy person. Happy people are the best people in my book {#emotions_dlg.wub}!!!

Esteemed Contributor

When I was younger I worn colored polish, and longer nails. Today, I wear have a French manicure, and a bit shorter nail.