Frequent Contributor

NYDJ HELP ... SIZING & SHRINKAGE!

I'm trying the NYDJ jeans for the first time and am torn on what size. I actually have at home the size 10 & 12 of the Marilyn Straight Leg jeans that I ordered from Zappos through Amazon. I need to return one and am trying to decide which one to keep.

My normal pant & jean size is always a 12. In the NYDJ, the 12 seems to fit really nice and feels good and the 10 also fits but are skin tight. I'm not used to wearing skin tight jeans but they say they stretch out. They would need to stretch out quite a bit to not look skin tight. On the flip side, if they do stretch a lot, I'm worried that the 12s will get too loose. I got the Presidio color that is 70% COTTON, 13% POLYESTER, 10% LYOCELL, 5% ELASTOMULTIESTER, 2% ELASTANE.

So ... with that said ... I'm wondering about shrinkage. If I keep the 12s and put them in the dryer, will they shrink a lot so then be more form fitting without being skin tight? I know they say not to put clothes with elastane in the dryer but I'd only do it once to get some shrinkage then air dry after that.

Your input is greatly appreciated as even though I got them on sale for $79, that's still a lot so I want to choose the correct size. Thanks in advance everyone!

Valued Contributor

Re: NYDJ HELP ... SIZING & SHRINKAGE!

Mine did not significantly stretch. I also wear my normal size in NYDJ. I have never found it necessary to size down.
Trusted Contributor

I have worn NYDJ jeans for years. I have always sized down (size 6 to size 4) and have never had them shrink.  That being said I don’t usually put them in the dryer, but if I do, I use the delicate cycle and finish by hanging them. Hope this helps.  NYDJ jeans are still my favorites.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@HB glamma wrote:
Mine did not significantly stretch. I also wear my normal size in NYDJ. I have never found it necessary to size down.

Same here.  I have worn NYDJ for as long as I can remember and was originally talked into sizing down by the sales woman.  That pair of jeans is still hanging in my closet with the tags still on.  Since then I have never sized down and the jeans fit perfectly..

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have several pair of NYDJ.  The last pair I received (from Nordstrom Rack) in the size I normally wear were skin tight.  I exchanged for a size larger and they are perfect.  My advise - keep the 12, return the 10.  They don't stretch or shrink substantially after washing and drying and after you put them on will return to the "original" size.  They do conform but shouldn't be uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

I have one pair of NYDJeans...., I did go down one size.  I DO NOT wear my jeans skin tight and mine did not shrink when washed, and I wash in cold and dry/ normal heat...no shrinkage.

If it were me I would not keep the skin tight pair only because you said you don't like skin tight....and because my jeans did not shrink...just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

I wear my normal size, no sizing down, and they fit great with minimal stretch. 

Respected Contributor

Isn't it interesting how everyone sees/feels fit differently?

For "regular" straight leg jeans from NYDJ, I go down 2 sizes. I find that they stretch out A LOT. For "slim" fit, I go down one size. I wash them in cold water, throw them in the dryer on delicate, and they're just fine. I've never had an issue with them shrinking. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on which style you get. I buy the “Barbara” jeans. I have 2 pair. One my regular size and one sized down. They both fit fine but my normal size I do think get a little baggy due to the stretch. I haven’t tried any of the other styles. I think Barbara is the closet to normal style jeans. I don’t like skinny tight in the leg jeans.  Also. I bought petite. Regular was way too long but the petite is a perfect length for me and I’m  5ft 6 inch.  They’re very nice. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi. I love the NYDJs that I have - they're both the Alina and Ami skinny styles and I did size down, perfect fit. They are tight or maybe just a very close fit but are not at all leggings tight. After wearing a bit they give enough for perfect comfort and show a bit of ease but they don't bag out. I don't put them in the dryer, just hang to dry. Heat can damage a stretchy fabric and shorten the lifespan. You can contact NYDJ for help with sizing, too. Hope this helps!