Respected Contributor

NY Times -- "Gap's Fashion-Backward Moment"

[ Edited ]

Interesting article in The NY Times about the decline of Gap and some other American retail brands.

Link here:

Decline of Gap

Honored Contributor

Re: NY Times -- "Gap's Fashion-Backward Moment"

More people should be reading about the problems with fast fashion. I won't shop in any of those stores. They do harm to people and to the environment.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/economic-intelligence/2012/09/21/the-wasteful-culture-of-forever...

John Oliver did a brilliant piece on fast fashion a few months ago. You can find that here: http://www.mtv.com/news/2144348/fast-fashion/

Esteemed Contributor

When I was in college, I loved to shop at The Gap. I still wear a denim shirt and a cotton skirt that I bought in the 90's! They don't show any sign of wear, and they are a style that could be purchased today. I went to a Gap Outlet last week, and I was underwhelmed. Material was thin and cheap looking, but most items were over $50 at outlet prices. I bought my son a lightweight jacket at The Gap a couple of years ago, and I've only made one recent purchase, a denim tank. For me to be a consistent shopper for tops and sweaters, they need to improve the quality, but I don't think they're trying to impress my demographic.

I had a friend from Japan whose husband was transferred here for work. Her favorite place to shop was The Gap. She was thrilled with U.S. prices and would buy things for her family and have them mailed to Japan. This was about 10 years ago, and she has since returned to Japan. She once told me that a t-shirt from The Gap in Japan could run over $100. She was so excited to find some on sale at the local mall for $9.99. I thought The Gap seemed to be a bigger hit in Japan than here in the U.S.
Honored Contributor

I've noticed this quite a while.  Not just the Gap, but Abercrombie & Fitch, J Crew, etc. Little tenny boppers still go to Forever 21, but very few people in American Eagle Outfitters. Very few people in there.  I shopped at the Gap when I was in school.  I remember happily walking out there with a straight jean that cost $17.00 on sale.  I wore it twice and there was a hole in the crotch.  Not even a distressed jean would have a hole there.  I wear premium jeans now that I find in Nordstrom or Saks.  Ive  paid nearly $200.00 for American made jeans. It's just cheap garments flooding the market now.  We've T-shirted out.

As the article said....luxery is booming.  I spend good money on tops & sweaters from department stores.  Online I search for sales, but if I love it, I pay full price.

Respected Contributor

I was at the GAP outlet this weekend -- everything was on sale -- 50% off outlet prices.  I bought a sweater, a tshirt, a skirt -- maybe $30 in total.  I do agree this is not high quality stuff.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Dare I say I think the Gap sells junk?  At my house we call them "one wash wonders."

Trusted Contributor

I bought online a couple pair of their "1969" Bermuda shorts about a month ago. They're nice, wash well. No problems.
Esteemed Contributor

I recently bought a 1969 Denim shift from the Gap online that I absolutely love, also buy a lot from their sister company Athleta, hardly ever buy from Old Navy or Banana Republic, also their companies. I have a Gap credit card, which is a Visa card that works everywhere, not just their stores, and every month I earn Gap Dollars that can be spent at any of their stores or online. This makes their clothes much more affordable. Their Athleta clothes wear like iron, even the dresses, and I just love the styles offered. Gee, I've never gotten any Q cash to spend. Have u!?
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Dare I say I think the Gap sells junk?  At my house we call them "one wash wonders."

I have plenty of GAP clothing, none has fallen apart.

However they do need to get their design issues together.

Honored Contributor

I'm 61 and I still shop at the Gap. Their clothes are much better quality than Old Navy.

I have sweatshirts and hoodies from there that are at least 20 years old and still look like new.

Maybe that's their problem - their clothes are TOO well made for the price!