Valued Contributor

I think alot of you who use this forum are tech savy and that is why I came here. I would like to buy my 70 year old mother a simple to use laptop. So many of them are bundled with things she would never use. She likes to keep up with her emails, surf the web. Lives close to family so does NOT need to video chat or put photos on line. Isn't into video gaming. She would use a printer to print coupons. Do all computers automatically include a word processing system?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

If she doesn't need all the other stuff, you might get her a Kindle/iPad or some sort of tablet.

Super Contributor

Are you able to pay for it all up front? If so, go elsewhere than QVC. Their tech. has little upside and will not be that fast. The complaints I hear the most are it is too slow and this is from non-gamers.

You do not need to spend a lot and upgradability is very helpful and worth it.

Super Contributor
The tablet was my thought also. I didn't care for the Kindle. How about the iPad or iPad mini? Doesn't have to be the super fancy ones since she is not interested in the photos so much but she could store them on her laptop if she wanted.
Super Contributor

Or try a galaxy tab or a surface for a true laptop replacement. There are a lot of options.

Valued Contributor

HI shoptheQ.. My suggestion would be to look over on the left of this page and click on Electronics. There is Electronics Talk and you will find great suggestions there. Or you can submit your questions and get great suggestions. Also Amazon has a plethora of electronic experts that love to talk about this sort of stuff. There are many forums but these two are great. You also learn all kinds of neat stuff. Not that I don't have a life but sometimes I scroll through electronic forums and learn so much about all this new stuff. They will help you find easy, cheap solutions. For instance, I almost ordered the tsv yesterday because I loved the idea that a small tablet would interact with my big screen TVs for viewing instead of dealing with a small 7" screen but I cancelled when I read some of the features I was looking for were not available in that particular tablet. Saved me s&h. I hate to return stuff, what a hassle. Good Luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

Try C O S T C O as they have some laptops for a low price. Typically there is some sort of word processing on these basic computers. You will want to make sure it has the right interface for the printer you will use....some only have hdmi and not a ""printer"" port.

C O S T C O Item #897150 is a dell for under $500.

If nothing else...that site gives you good specs etc.

I have also purchased laptops from the Q...but closer to Christmas as they have exceptional values close to Christmas.

Good luck.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."